Salon colored red hair & No Poo: Bad idea? Tips?

SophcurlsSophcurls Posts: 2Registered Users
I have tried no poo in the past, but probably not long enough to see results. It was difficult for me to dive head first so sometimes I would cowash with Vo5 Moisture Milk Conditioner in Strawberries and Cream. I know that to fully enjoy the benefits of the no poo method one should avoid harsh hair dyes etc. Keeping that in mind, I have still decided to get my hair colored this weekend. I'm currently a blonde (not natural) and will be making the switch to a red head. Although I have color treated hair my hair is in relatively good condition. I don't wash my hair daily and avoid using heat & if I do use heat I always do so with a heat protectant.

Has anyone used the no poo method on red colored hair? Red fades fast so I'm wondering if the no poo method will strip my hair of it's color sooner? Any suggestions on sulfate free shampoos that won't strip my hair of color?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Generally speaking, and from my own experience, CG is gentler on hair color than using shampoo, even some for color-treated hair, and IMO the best way to care for color-treated hair. However, not all COs are equally gentle on color. Although my hair has never been red, until recently I used an ash blond which also tends to fade fast and turn brassy quickly and when I was using a good quality CO I didn't need to refresh the color every month but only every other month. Also, the brand of haircolor I used made a big difference, the longest lasting and gentler formula I ever used was Ion Color Brilliance Creme, a professional formula you can buy at Sally's.

I hate to tell you but although I use and like several VO5 COs, they're not the best to nourish color-treated hair, and I've no idea whether that particular one you use will leach color out or not, so be aware of that when you co-wash with it after coloring. If you're going to dye your hair you need to take good care of it, you can't "eat your cake and eat it too", in other words you won't be able to get away with using a cheap CO all the time.

Even if your VO5 proves to be safe, invest a little in a better quality CO for your RO or LI. You may be better off using one specifically formulated for color-treated hair.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• starznthingsstarznthings Posts: 49Registered Users
    Sophcurls wrote: »
    I have tried no poo in the past, but probably not long enough to see results. It was difficult for me to dive head first so sometimes I would cowash with Vo5 Moisture Milk Conditioner in Strawberries and Cream. I know that to fully enjoy the benefits of the no poo method one should avoid harsh hair dyes etc. Keeping that in mind, I have still decided to get my hair colored this weekend. I'm currently a blonde (not natural) and will be making the switch to a red head. Although I have color treated hair my hair is in relatively good condition. I don't wash my hair daily and avoid using heat & if I do use heat I always do so with a heat protectant.

Has anyone used the no poo method on red colored hair? Red fades fast so I'm wondering if the no poo method will strip my hair of it's color sooner? Any suggestions on sulfate free shampoos that won't strip my hair of color?

Thanks in advance everyone!

My hair has been every color under the sun. I was a redhead for a few years; however I always had my hair professionally colored. No matter what color my hair was, I always used Deva Curl and Deva Care products. I would alternate between the two, but I would say for red hair I used the Deva Care Lo Poo, No Poo and One-Condition the most. I also used Deva styling products

The one thing I must say is that these products never, never, never made the red color fade from my hair (or any other color, for that matter). In fact, I used to go for my 4-6 week root/color/high or lowlights, then come home and wet my hair, use some Deva Care One Condition and Angel because I wanted to re-style my hair and use the Deva Fuser on low setting, high heat. I know many people on this site don't care for Deva products, and many have found cheaper alternatives. The only reason I am jumping in here endorsing Deva is because I was a redhead for so long, that occasionally I would switch off to another so-called color protection line of sulfate-free products (and may I say some are very well known and even more expensive) and watch the red go right down the drain.

I was spending a HUGE amount of $$ having my hair cut and colored, so laying out the cash for the Deva products was totally worth it. Hope that helps.
    Once upon a time, on a clear moonlit night, I counted all the stars in the sky. :love10: :sleepy2:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file