Plopping tip! (Bye-bye flathead)

So I don't like using heat on my hair, and I'm pretty lazy, so I just like to find a way to put my hair up when it's wet. I was a big plop/ plopper whatever, and I kept trying to find a way to maximise the effectiveness of plopping for my wavy/ curly hip length hair.

I didn't exactly know how to plop, but I knew the general idea.

NOTE: I have heavy long hair which means HUGE FLAT TOP PROBLEM!
Seriously that was the biggest problem with my hair.

Not any more! What you do:

Take your long sleeve shirt.

Kneel down on the floor.

Spread the shirt flat in front of you, the neck should be close to you while the bottom is farthest away. Spread the sleeves out.

Separate the front half of the hair on the top of your head while holding the rest away.

Lower those hairs onto the neck part of the shirt. Your head should be touching the ground.

Adjust the hair you're holding so that each section is directly over where it comes out of your head, and that it is evenly pressed.

Hold that hair there with one hand while the other picks up the end of the shirt and beings it over the hand holding the hair in place.

With the free hand put one corner of each side of the bottom in your mouth to hold onto.

Slip the hand holding the hair out.

Take the sleeves from the front of the head a tie them under the bulge.

Take the shirt corners out of your mouth (duh).

Hope this made sense. I also used a combination the super soaker and pumps= clumps method in the shower.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I need pictures sadly.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This makes sense to me, Reallyageek! I don't think I can explain it any better than you did right now though. I'd gotten away from regular plopping in favor of a quick t-shirt scrunch, then diffusing, but I may try your method next wash day. Thanks!
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    I'd love a better plopping method (also at hip length now, wet at least) but I can't seem to manage to figure it out. Do you only plopp the top half? What do you do with the hair you hold away while lowering to the ground? I'd love to try it but for some reason my head just doesn't get it. :(
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
    Jimipe wrote: »
    I'd love a better plopping method (also at hip length now, wet at least) but I can't seem to manage to figure it out. Do you only plopp the top half? What do you do with the hair you hold away while lowering to the ground? I'd love to try it but for some reason my head just doesn't get it. :(

Jimpie, see if this maybe helps you out... Lets say you call the hair on the top of your head Section 1, and the rest of your hair Section 2 (hair from back, left, and right sides of your head) for now.

You plop Section 1 like you normally would, carefully lowering that hair into your plop shirt so that it's accordioned against your scalp.

Next, you separate Section 2. Take the hair that grows out of the left side of your head as Section 2a, and move the rest of Section 2 off to the side.

Use one hand (say the left) to accordion Section 2a against your scalp while you use your free hand (say the right) to bring up your plop shirt to hold Section 2a against your head.

Carefully remove your left hand while holding your plop shirt in place with your right hand.

Separate the hair from the back of your head from the rest of Section 2 using your free left hand. It now becomes Section 2b.

Accordion the Section 2b hair against your head with your left hand, then use your right hand to bring your plop shirt up to hold that hair securely against your scalp.

Carefully remove your left hand, leaving your right hand in place to hold your hair securely.

Next you'd need to move your right hand, as you need it to bring up your plop shirt to contain the hair from the right side of your head. This is when your mouth comes into play to hold the left side of your plop shirt so that your hair on the left doesn't fall out. (This is also when a video might be super helpful).

Hold excess plop shirt from the left side in your mouth so the hair on your left side is securely held against your scalp.

Use your left hand to grab the remaining loose hair (Section 2c) from the right side of your head and accordion it against your scalp.

Use your right hand to bring up the right side of your plop shirt to secure Section 2c (right side of your head), and carefully remove your left hand.

Next you'd need to move your right hand so that you can tie the sleeves to fully secure your hair. This is when your mouth would again come into play. (Again, this is when a video might be super helpful).

Hold any excess plop shirt from the right side in your mouth so that the hair on your right side stays securely held against your scalp.

Now that both hands are free, use them to bring the sleeves of your plop shirt up and around the back of your head. Tie the sleeves to fully secure the plop shirt, and then you can stop holding pieces of shirt in your mouth.

I haven't done this yet myself (wash day is tomorrow), but this is how I'm visualizing it in my head.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    Thank you! That does make so much sense...! Regular plopping works well for me for the hair on the top of my head, but for the hair further down it just squeezes it flat until it reaches the top of my head bending over. Not good... This hower sounds very much like a good solution to that problem. :)
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OMG, I would have to get up a half hour earlier to do this...
    lol Myrna. I'd think it'd get faster with practice, but just looking at it on paper, it does seem like it'd take longer to get in place than a "traditional" plop.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    Today I did a diffusing vid I'll out up tomorrow and I also did a separate clipping vid I'll post too.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This never worked for me :(
    I woke up and my hair was still 70% wet.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    Yeah. I cannot go t bed with damp hair. Will not dry.
  • curlyink3bcurlyink3b Posts: 41Registered Users
    This sounds like a great idea for longer hair. Mine's almost to my waist when wet, but dries to about shoulder/bra strap length. I always have problems plopping because I'm a chubby girl. OK. I'm FAT. Always end up out of breath by the time I get the sleeves tied and stand back up. It's worth a shot, though, so thanks for sharing!
    3b/3c, high porosity, fine strands but lots of em!

APL/BSL when dry (bangs are to chin), but WL when wet.

Pineapple and satin pillowcase at night.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file