Help for a totally lost curly head (2b)

NowynNowyn Registered Users Posts: 5
I have come into realization that I have curly hair, wavy to be specific, and that most of my hair problems are because of it. But now I have to navigate trough the product jungle. I would so apreciate some help.

I think my curl pattern is 2b but the curl has habit giving up and frizzling. Hair is also very fine, have high density and low porosity and hair is now so long that can sit on it. I would love to cut it but until I have some control over my hair I would resemble bubble head.

My biggest prolems are hair flying all over, frizzling and curl giving up.

I would appreciate any and all help.

Comments

• chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    What are you currently using and how?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • NowynNowyn Registered Users Posts: 5
    Whatever I happen to find from supermarket. Until now I have been more interested in price. I have used shampoo and conditioner traditionally and nothing else. I have my natural colour, texture and everything else. I don't even use heat in any form to style my hair.
  • LickedCupcakeLickedCupcake Registered Users Posts: 19
    I'm just starting out on the journey, but it sounds like you need to start conditioning. My hair is also really fine (but not high density, sigh) and I was having frizzy hair, though it doesn't sound as bad as what you describe.

I just started conditioning (I spray my hair down before the shower and use mane & tail conditioner and then I use either Trader Joe's tea tree conditioner or Burts Bees conditioner) in the shower.

I'm already seeing a difference with the frizz factor. Now, I'm still playing around with styling gels.

There are several low-cost conditioners that I see mentioned on this board (Suave naturals coconut) comes to mind.

Do you have a picture of your hair?
    Newly permed, super fine either 2b or 2c (haven't figured that out yet) hair with low density as well.

Desert-dweller.

Currently using and figuring out:
    Pre-poo: Mane & tail conditioner
    Low-poo: Burts bee's moisturing shampoo
    Wash out: Either trader joe's tea tree or Burt's Bees moisturing conditioner
    Gel: Still working on figuring it out. Right now, Pantene 24 hr or Flax seed gel.
    Try making flax seed gel. It's cheap to make at home. Read up in the curly girl method about sulfates. You don't have to go completely sulfate free especially I your conditioner has cones but dilute it. Just a little with water in a bottle is enough to clean and not quite so stripping. Some gel to keep everything together could help with frizz and use a Tshirt to scrunch out excess water. Those would be some basic improvements. Keep reading around the board. Watch some of my vids for techniques. Technique is going to be 80% of your battle. Using those techniques even without a bunch if product should yield results. What is your local climate like?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • NowynNowyn Registered Users Posts: 5
    I live in Finland and the climate is similar to Northern Great Lakes area in US.
    Thanks abut sulfate info regarding shampoo. As you might have gathered I'm complete newbie and for first everything seems hebrew.
    Can anyone point me to what to look for in conditioner. What is too much/what is too little?
    Does the gel help courage curl pattern to keep. It's ok 'till next day but day 2 onwards there is no definition and hair just flyes all around, wich is the part I find most annoying. Oh and about t-shirt. Is there difference between thin jersey (from wich most t-shirts are made of) and the thicker kind that is easier to find from fabric store.
    I will try to put photo here as soon as I get my phone back and can take one.

Also big thanks to both of you. I'm just starting to find ways to take care of my hair wich is quite scary prospect to this 28 years old bookworm. Books and libraries didn't mind me looking whatever but I'm finally learning to love my hair and I have feeling that it might not be bad if get it right
  • wheretostartwheretostart Registered Users Posts: 244
    Tshirt - go with100% cotton because it absorbs best. I'd go with thicker because you've got a lot of hair and a thin one might not do the trick. I use my husbands old long sleeve t's then i can "plop" in it as well. Cotton flour sack towels work well too. I usually scrunch with those then plop in the tshirt. you can blind plopping instructions on youtube
    3A/2C fine, normal porosity & elasticity, medium high density

Current products:
    YTCucs Color Protection Low poo
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Random gels - not sure which ones I like, if any at this point!

HG Summer Routine:
    poo - TMW Hydrate
    RO & LI - Darcy's Pumpkin Seed
    Leave in Products: CHSCK & LALMG
    PT - CJ RM
    DT - EVCO

Currently trying to figure out a winter routine and transition to a less harsh "poo" for summer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file