What is dry shampoo?

Is dry shampoo ok to use on 4a hair? Just wondering. I see this product a lot in magazines. What is it? Is it drying?

Comments

• WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    I use it from time to time on my wavy hair if my roots are getting oily but I don't want to wash my hair that day. In general, dry shampoos use an oil blotting substance like talc, rice powder, oatmeal powder, etc. Some are in a powder form you can shake into your hair and some are aerosolized with some form of propellant. Some have alcohols and some don't. There are so many brands out that I'm being very general. You'll need to read a few labels.

There are things I like about it and things I dislike. It does help me go longer between shampoos and makes my hair more voluminous. While it doesn't seem to do any damage, my hair feels drier with the dry shampoo in and its not as shiny. That doesn't bother me too much and the dryness is just a temporary effect. It vanishes as soon as I cowash and washes out easily. It can give me a headache but I don't think that's very common.

Not sure if it behaves differently on different hair types. You could give it a try on a day you are going to wash anyway and see what you think. Just spray a little at first, then fluff it into your roots. It dries in a min or two and you can add more if you need it. My hair is dark and it vanishes into my hair once I fluff it through. In general, it's a product I like when I need a temporary fix.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It can give me a headache

It would be a good idea to pay attention to that. I always disliked dry shampoo, but couldn't have stated why. However, I've since realized that I'm allergic to some of the ingredients used to absorb oil, such as cornstarch. Your hair goes on your pillow, and so does your face, and you breathe in those fine powders, which can trigger allergic reactions, such as asthma.

In addition, fine powders are generally considered a lung irritant, and may cause respiratory problems without acting as allergens (things that trigger allergic responses).
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • butter52butter52 Posts: 292Registered Users
    Mmm I thought you had to brush after dry shampoo, and thats pretty bad on dry curls(or impossible lol), how do you use it?
  • NamelessElegyNamelessElegy Posts: 40Registered Users
    I tried a couple of dry shampoos and never really found one I liked. They tended to make my hair almost sticky feeling, very producty. They also made my hair look very dull and they seemed to cause frizz. I didn't try every dry shampoo out there or anything so there may be some ones that don't cause those problems.

I tried the TRESemmé Dry shampoo and their waterless foam, I tried the sauve dry shampoos and the one by Umberto. I've heard some people say they had better results but that was just my experience with them.

They do say you should brush them through your hair but I usually just kinda massaged them through the hair around my scalp where it tends to be the most oily and it worked okay to get rid of the white residue
    2a/3a (I think?), very fine, medium density, low porosity. Protein craving.
    Low poo: Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo and L'Oreal's EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo (Occasionally)
    Rinse out/Leave in: TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
    Stylers: EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System™ Humidity Defying Leave-In Crème (Occasionally), Fructis Style
    Curl Scrunch Gel
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The ones I tried way back when did say you had to brush after using them, so I agree that I'd count them out just on that one point, even if I didn't have allergy concerns.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Posts: 228Registered Users
    It can give me a headache

It would be a good idea to pay attention to that. I always disliked dry shampoo, but couldn't have stated why. However, I've since realized that I'm allergic to some of the ingredients used to absorb oil, such as cornstarch. Your hair goes on your pillow, and so does your face, and you breathe in those fine powders, which can trigger allergic reactions, such as asthma.

In addition, fine powders are generally considered a lung irritant, and may cause respiratory problems without acting as allergens (things that trigger allergic responses).

I totally get the wariness about using dry shampoo. All kinds of things can trigger a headache for me, but used sparingly, I'm fine using dry shampoo once in a while. In fact, I'll probably need a little tomorrow. I'm going on day 5 hair and that's 1 day too much. But it's been a crazy week and I'd rather have an extra hour of sleep than deal with my hair in the morning.

And there is no need to brush it through. I just spray a tiny amount directly on my crown, as that's where I look oily, then rub it in for a few seconds. If I'm oily around my face, I spray a tiny bit on my fingers then rub that in where I need it. That's just enough to get me through the day and it won't bother me. The first few times I tried it I sprayed far too much and, although it disappeared in my hair, I felt like I was surrounded by a cloud of talc (or cornstarch or whatever) all day. It only takes a little.

Granted, its not a perfect solution but it's tolerable in a pinch if you have an oily scalp and no time. I've also used the Japanese face blotting papers that have the rice powder or just regular face powder and patted that on my hair. They don't work as well as the dry shampoos but they are better than nothing and they aren't aerosolized.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    --

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file