Which is a better low poo?

I'm still searching for a HG shampoo. I've found two on Amazon to try and can't decide between the two. Which looks better given my requirements below? Or is there another I should consider? Thanks in advance!

I don't like cowashing. I prefer a low poo. I would like to use my hairspray with a little bit of a cone in it (disiloxane last on the list). I also tend to get build up from something - still not sure what it is. Through troubleshooting i know it is not the hairspray) So ideally it will be gentler so my scalp doesnt dry out, but powerful enough to prevent build up of that little cone. Also not contain any ingredients that might contribute to build up. I have two poos that are ok - one doesnt seem to strip whatever is building up, and the other is too harsh - so i use it to clarify once a week or so. I'd love it if i could find a happy medium.

Here are the two products in my Amazon cart:

Ingredients: Aqua (purified water), *aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, sodium cocoamphoacetate, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate, dexyl glucoside, cocamidopropyl betaine, menthol, panthenol, potassium sorbate, citric acid, polysorbate 20, *melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil, *eucalyptus globulus (eucalyptus) oil, *thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, *urtica dioica (nettle) extract, *tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, *salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) leaf extract, *equisetum arvense extract, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, *achillea millefolium extract, carthamus tinctorius (safflower) oil, phenoxcyethanol, mentha piperita (peppermint) oil. *Certified Organic

Aqua (Purified Water) With *Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, *Nettle (Uritica Dioica) Oil, *Thyme (Thymus Vulagris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, *Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilus Flower) Oil, *Clary (Salvia Sclarea), *Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), *Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Farfara), *Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, *Mallow (Malva Sylvestris), *Horsetail (Equistetum Arvense) Oil, *Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate (Coconut Derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethyglycinate, Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived). Certified organic in accordance with California Organic Foods Act of 1990
3A/2C fine, normal porosity & elasticity, medium high density

Current products:
YTCucs Color Protection Low poo
GVP Conditioning Balm
Random gels - not sure which ones I like, if any at this point!

HG Summer Routine:
poo - TMW Hydrate
RO & LI - Darcy's Pumpkin Seed
Leave in Products: CHSCK & LALMG
PT - CJ RM
DT - EVCO

Currently trying to figure out a winter routine and transition to a less harsh "poo" for summer.

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Between the two, I'd go with the first one. The second one seems pretty harsh.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd choose the first one. The second one does have cocamidopropyl betaine and sodium c 14-16 sulfonate, but if that ingredient list is in proper order, I'd be concerned that there isn't enough of either ingredient to fully remove a non-water soluble silicone. Those two ingredients appear just above pH adjusters /preservatives. The major ingredients in a product are usually the first 5 (after water), and the first low poo you listed just looks like a better balanced formulation.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bucking the trend here, I'd say that the first one appears to be an attempt to replace sulfate detergents with a boatload of non-sulfate surfactants, similar to the first "low-poo" I tried, which was very rough on my hair (and which I later relegated to cleaning my toilet bowl, on which it did a nifty job). Technically, it was a low-poo, but it sure didn't fit the spirit of a low-poo. The second actually looks milder, since that sulfate is w_a_y down on the list.

I do wonder, though, if you've considered using a CG hairspray. They do exist.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • wheretostartwheretostart Posts: 244Registered Users
    I have, there just any for me to buy locally so I need something in the meantime. There is something else building up for me though.. just can't put my finger on it. So switching sprays won't completely solve my problem,.

Current products:
    GVP Conditioning Balm

HG Summer Routine:
    poo - TMW Hydrate
    PT - CJ RM
    DT - EVCO

Currently trying to figure out a winter routine and transition to a less harsh "poo" for summer.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I love CJ gentle cleansing shampoo! Or try a BROO shampoo.

I think I know the brand of the first one, and I've used it and it wasn't bad at all... But CJ GCS is still the mildest low poo I've ever tried and has the surfactants to remove silicones
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • wheretostartwheretostart Posts: 244Registered Users
    Both of those are Giovanni - i didn't mean to be secretive. Just lazy! lol

One is the 50/50 the other is the Tea Tree one.

thanks!

Current products:
    GVP Conditioning Balm

HG Summer Routine:
    poo - TMW Hydrate
    PT - CJ RM
    DT - EVCO

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The second one is the tea tree, isn't it? I missed the sulfate in the list and used it briefly. It worked well, and didn't seem to strip my hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The first one is Tea Tree, the second one is 50/50.

The extracts in the 50/50 are in the water, so that makes C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate (Coconut Derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine the 2nd and 3rd ingredients, respectively. I'm surprised by what shampoos these were, since at first glance you want to go with that one. I hear often that 50/50 is pretty strong, with the lineup of surfactants that makes sense I guess.

Tea tree has more surfactants, but overall reviews I've heard and read, people find it more gentle. So it's really down to concentration of ingredients, which you won't know for sure works better till you use the product.

They both would be too much for my scalp (all the extracts, salt, menthol, etc), so I vote for Abba Pure Gentle shampoo haha. (Ingredient-wise is very similar to CJ GCS)
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have Giovanni's 50/50 shampoo, the Tea tree conditioner, and the smooth as silk conditioner. I like them all.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    The ingredients list for the 50/50 then is an outdated one. It no longer has olefin sulfonate in it. In fact the ingredients list is more similar to the TTTT.

I've tried the TTTT, 50:50, SaS shampoos of that G line. I liked all of them, and even though TTTT is supposed to be the most "clarifying" one and SaS is supposed to be the most "moisturizing" one, I found that TTTT, 50:50 and SaS work very similarly. Still I prefer to use SaS and 50:50 since I don't think my scalp likes tea tree oil.

Though of all the G shampoos I prefer 2chic Keratin & Argan. Next I wanna try the 2chic Avocado and Olive oil even though it has a cone.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list