Detangling after gel styling... Is it damaging?

I have the type of wavy hair that pretty much straightens out by the next day. So I like to do a full finger detangle at the end of the night and put it up before bed.

But every time I style with gel I feel like I'm just ripping my hair apart when I detangle at the end of the day. Like my hair is just all glued together.

So is detangling hair with gel in it damaging? I love the more controlled style that gel gives me but I hate feeling like I'm ripping through my hair trying to pull apart tangles.

Any input or ideas about reducing tangling/damage after using styling products is appreciated!:love2:
2b - f/m - ii/iii
CG since 12/13
growing out bleach and heat damage

using/trying
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Eden Coconut Shea
Low-poo: Shea Moisture Curl & Shine, poo bars
Conditioners: GVP Detangler, Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin, Shea Moisture Restorative, KCKT
DT: CJ Repair Me, pre-wash coconut oilings
Stylers: Spiralicious, KCCC, Garnier Curl Scrunch gel, DB curl smoothing cream

Comments

• guineapigsrcuteguineapigsrcute Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How come you don't detangle before styling?
  • WeewahWeewah Posts: 15Registered Users
    I do, I do a full detangle before and during my shower/before applying products. I guess I just have tangle-prone hair, but I've noticed it's more pronounced when I use gel.
    2b - f/m - ii/iii
    CG since 12/13

using/trying
    Conditioners: GVP Detangler, Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin, Shea Moisture Restorative, KCKT
    Hm, both of my problem gels contain polyquats, maybe those could be the problem? Are there any gels out there that don't make detangling more difficult?

Im looking at this eco styler gel. Maybe I'll give that one a try.
    2b - f/m - ii/iii
    CG since 12/13

using/trying
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, it's damaging. That's why the Curly Girl method of hair care specifies that hair should never be detangled except when it's wet and coated with conditioner.

I think it's just that gel is gel. We want it to hold our hair together while it dries, then want it to fall away when we SOTC, however some of it remains. My hair all ends in little circles, so it holds together, holds more of the remaining gel, and it tangles. I'm not sure the gel really has much to do with why it tangles, though.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Ohh, I missed that part of the CG method. I guess I'm just gonna have to make another habit change. My curl pattern is so weak to begin with though I feel like its just gonna look like stringy dreadlocks by the end of the day/second day. I'll try the no dry finger combing though and see what happens. I'm still gonna search for products that don't seem to glue my hair together too.
    2b - f/m - ii/iii
    CG since 12/13

using/trying

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file