Newbie in need of advice- please!

megs801megs801 Registered Users Posts: 4
I have spent the last 15 or so years using a flat iron and permanent straightening. I thought my hair was straight but poofy and frizzy. Over the last year I have transitioned into a (mostly) no chemical routine, which included hair care. I started with no poo, but my hair was so dry I switched to Low Poo (Shea Moisture- Moisture Retention). And I realized I was a Curly Girl!!

I have no idea how to work curly hair, but have started with DevaCurl ArcAngel gel, due to their rave reviews and no/minimal chemical usage. I think I am a 2b/2c. The frizz is good with this, but it mostly looks messy, and it looks like there is gel in it (even after scrunching after its dried).

I would love ANY advice on how to take care of my hair (I prefer to keep it looking wavier, and do NOT want to add any more volume to my hair). I like DevaCurl since it doesn't have sulfates/parabens/etc.

Anyone have great experience using their products they'd like to recommend? Or hair care routine? (I prefer to air dry and run out the door- no hair dryer or waiting 45 minutes to plop.)

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate it!
Newbie here. I THINK I am:

2B/2C
Overly Porous
Medium Texture
High Density

Trying to stay far away from sulfates/parabens/silicones.

Any advice for the above is always greatly appreciated!

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome. :)
    Have you taken a look at some of the sticky threads with techniques links yet? If you like the products you're using, you may want to play around with application. How are you applying your gel right now? Are you using any conditioner either as a rinse out, and/or as a leave in under your gel?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • megs801megs801 Registered Users Posts: 4
    I'm using Shea Moisture (Moisture Retention) as a rinse out conditioner. I've tried using only gel on wet/damp hair, and also tried applying some aloe vera juice as a leave in, and some jojoba oil (these are things I used before going curly).

I have tried putting the gel all over my hair and scrunching, and also applying the gel in sections (using more gel) and brushing with a large comb and not scrunching (to see if that will give more waves/less curl).

I'm pretty clueless as to what products to experiment with, and don't want to waste a bunch of money trying too many things.

I'm also clueless as to what sticky threads with techniques links are- I can't seem to find what that is on the site :)

2B/2C
    Overly Porous
    Medium Texture
    High Density

• jakrussel3jakrussel3 Registered Users Posts: 423
    You may want to look into making your own flax seed gel. It's fairly inexpensive and not too hard to make. If you don't want to make your own, try Sweet Curl Elixirs on etsy.com. The owner makes fabulous natural products you may be interested in. She's a wavy too! She makes a flax seed gel, a flax seed cream, and a hard hold gel that I absolutely LOVE. And you can pick from a ton of different scents, or go scent free. :) I have magnesium sulfate added into my flax seed gel. It helps my hair curl up a little tighter. You can leave that out though and have great definition and clumping. I like flax seed gel a lot better than the Deva gels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
    Thanks for the advice. I love the techniques links! And I'll look into Sweet Curl Elixers.

This is all so overwhelming. There's leave-in conditioners, curl enhancers, gel, mousse, different ways to scrunch and plop… Let alone the different brands! How does anyone ever figure out such elaborate combinations?? :goofy:

2B/2C
    Overly Porous
    Medium Texture
    High Density

Lol I know, it can seem a bit insane. When you're starting out, it's often better to use as few products as possible and add things one at a time if you want something else. That way you're not throwing everything but the kitchen sink at your hair, and you can actually get a better idea of products and techniques it likes as opposed to those that don't work. Another thing to consider, not to contribute to the overwhelming mass of info, is a hair analysis, which can give you accurate information on your hair's properties. The analysis helps many people choose products with ingredients that are most likely to be successful for their hair, instead of jumping into the deep end and simply guessing. :) The Goosefootprints shop on Etsy is a good example of such a service.
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    megs801 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I love the techniques links! And I'll look into Sweet Curl Elixers.

This is all so overwhelming. There's leave-in conditioners, curl enhancers, gel, mousse, different ways to scrunch and plop… Let alone the different brands! How does anyone ever figure out such elaborate combinations?? :goofy:

Here are some videos I made. Let me know if you want any specific demonstrations. And please subsucribe!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    megs801 wrote: »
    I'm using Shea Moisture (Moisture Retention) as a rinse out conditioner. I've tried using only gel on wet/damp hair, and also tried applying some aloe vera juice as a leave in, and some jojoba oil (these are things I used before going curly).

I have tried putting the gel all over my hair and scrunching, and also applying the gel in sections (using more gel) and brushing with a large comb and not scrunching (to see if that will give more waves/less curl).

I'm pretty clueless as to what products to experiment with, and don't want to waste a bunch of money trying too many things.

I'm also clueless as to what sticky threads with techniques links are- I can't seem to find what that is on the site :)

Most stickies you'll want to check out as a newbie are found in the Newbies Info /Introductions forum and in the General Discussion about Curly Hair forum. Stickies are found at the very top of the first page, and they're labeled "Sticky:" followed by the real title of the thread. For instance, "Sticky: Acronyms/Abbreviations/Definitions!".
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Thanks everyone! I think I might get my hair analyzed. I cute almost 4 inches off my hair yesterday and tried adding in new products (a leave in conditioner and a curl enhancer, in addition to the gel I was using)- what a difference! Now comes the long process in waiting for my hair to grow back!

2B/2C
    Overly Porous
    Medium Texture
    High Density

I'm glad you're getting some better results. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file