Grow out challenge ??

CurlyNaya92CurlyNaya92 Posts: 15Registered Users
Hello everyone I've been thinking about starting a new grow out challenge I always find it easier to have support from others that are trying to achieve the same or similar goal as you. I've been natural for almost a year and I've been transitioning for 12 months I feel my hair is grôwing under average rate so there's a few changes I want to make like drinking at least two bottles of water a day and take multi vitamins. If any one is interested in joining please comment and also add what you would like to incorporate in the challenge.
My hair is just about 9 inches all around I'm looking to get it to 12 inches by July/august.

Comments

• SurfTheWavesSurfTheWaves Posts: 26Registered Users
    Count me in! In September I cut my TBL curls off in exchange for a pixie, the longest section ended up being ~ 1 1/2 inch, talk about extreme ends of the spectrum! So since then I've been trying to grow my length back to at least my shoulders and could really use a support team as well!! Right now I'm in the super ackward omg-why-won't-you-grow stage where depending on the day I either look like a skater boy or a grandma. I can't wait to look and feel feminine again! I have nothing I can think of to incorporate into the challenge but I myself have sworn off my straightener after the BC (9 months strong!) and just incorporated jamaican black castor oil into my regimen.
    2C & 3A, thick, over-porous, normal elasticity, medium density.
    Low-Poo: Nature's Gate Henna, SM Curl & Shine 'poo
    RO/ LI: AB Mega Moisture coconut condish, As I Am Leave In, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Protein styler & treatment: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, IAGirl's treatment 1x per week
    Oils: Extra Dark JBCO, EVCO, EVOO
    Stylers: Aquage Sea Salt Texturizing Spray, HHTT, AVG, SMCES, SMCS, FSG with honey

pixie~ear~chin~nape~shoulder~apl~bsl~goal of waist!!!
  • NayaMooreNayaMoore Posts: 60Registered Users
    2 bottles of water? As in those 8oz bottles? How did you survive drinking less than that before?

But anywho I'll join. I want to continue drinking 84oz of water a day (I stopped for some reason in February & sometime in March as well). Also I want to start deep conditioning regularly. I'll be starting by doing a homemade DC tomorrow.
  • hcook5528hcook5528 Posts: 131Registered Users
    Count me in! I've been working on this for about a month so far. Right now I'm taking a Prenatal vitamin since my iron is low, and biotin. I have been massaging my scalp daily and once a week do the inverted method to massage my scalp with essential oils like rosemary, sage, and peppermint. I've also added a lot of fruits and veggies to my diet and eat plain oatmeal with flaxseed and blueberries for breakfast every morning. I also want to start drinking a lot more water each day. I only use the diffuser on my hair I'd say once a month. Every other day I let it air dry and I have completely given up the straightening iron and curling iron. Heat free! Also, deep conditioning treatments once a week. I may start doing that more if I can find the time.

My goal is to grow my hair to waist length (curly) in 1 year. Right now, stretched, it is about 2 inches below my collar bone. Curly it rests just below my shoulders, maybe a half an inch. My last hair cut was on April 1st and I had about 3 or 4 inches cut off because I'm transitioning from heat damage and all that hair was pretty much straight or wavy from the damage.
    Curl Type: mix of 3B and 3C
    Porosity: Low
    Texture: Coarse (medium)
    Kinking Present
    Length: bra strap length or a bit longer

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo

Conditioner: RO Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner; or sometimes Aussie Moist

Leave-In: Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Gel: As I Am Curling Jelly
  • HeartsesHeartses Posts: 37Registered Users
    I'm in! I want long hair so bad but I want it to be healthy. I'm not new to being natural but I am new to good hair care. My hair has probably received the most care this year than it ever has. I'm still learning and trying some new tricks out but overall I know what's working for me and it's showing. Right now my hair is in great shape it's a little past my armpits stretched and shoulder curly. I don't have any splits just a few fairy knots and they don't bug me too much. I would really like my hair tailbone length stretched. *crosses fingers*
  • JeliahJeliah Posts: 248Registered Users
    I'll join I have been on my natural hair journey for 2 going on 3 years. I have been transitioning from heat damage and I am now at a point where I can just focus on retaining length. I would like my curl to be BSL.ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1399164249.652187.jpg
    The pic on the left is from last week and the one on the right is from june of last year. Due to the curl pattern I have I think it is going to take me a long time to reach my goal.
  • BeeAndyBeeAndy Posts: 1Registered Users
    I've been looking for a challenge since foreverrrr, it resulted in me trying to start my own personal on for the beginning of Sept, but it's nice to do one in a group. so i'm definitely in!:headbang::headbang: i started out w/ transitioning in sept 2010, but started a healthy hair journey last year October :D
  • MidwesterncurlMidwesterncurl Posts: 133Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Count me in! Last year in the spring, my hair was waist length, and then I cut it to a couple inches below the shoulders in the summer...it grew out longer again but I hacked it off majorly in the fall-- chin length! Now, it's grazing my shoulders and I need to get over the awkward stage to past my shoulders.
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    I would like to join. I am at bra strap length (actual length / not shrunken length) I desire to grow to the longest my hair can reach and keep it there. I do not expect to reach that goal in one year. I am willing to put in as many years as necessary, especially if I eventually reach and maintain tail bone length. When I do, I will not be one of those who cuts it all off just to start over again.
    I am actually planning to get either mustard oil or red palm oil this month.
    Probably mustard oil. I also want to drink bamboo tea daily. Hopefully, I can get both this month. For protective styling, I will do buns most of the time, keep my hair moisturized and all gell OUT OF IT!
    ry%3D400
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgB9P_NaXso
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lus9q1rt0M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QrMcdPqPNc
    I just thought, why would I order bamboo tea when I have bamboo in the yard DUH!
    So, I will collect and dry bamboo leaves today, hang them upside down to dry, for a month's worth of bamboo tea!
    PS I have some bamboo leaves hanging from the rafters. But I also boiled some of them straight away and have them steeping in a big pot for about an hour. I will go on and drink that this week without drying the leaves. I thought I should also put some unsweetened in a spray bottle to mist on the strands for silica/ bamboo treatment externally as well! In fact, I think I will make some flax seed gel with the water from some of the bamboo tea.
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
    My hair right after my haircut and one month after. The bottom layer measures 10 inches when stretched and 11 1/2 inches on the top layer stretched. I plan to measure it again in one month to see how quickly it's growing each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalke4eva6a7.jpg
    Kinking Present

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo

Conditioner: RO Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner; or sometimes Aussie Moist

• HeartsesHeartses Posts: 37Registered Users
    I made my own banana hair mask Saturday night and loved the results soooo much that I'm going to commit to it weekly. I haven't tried avocado in my masks but maybe that will be this week since my bananas aren't old enough yet. I also have been using coconut oil on the ends of my hair to moisturize..I tried misting with water for moisture and it's a disaster with my hair. I need to be more diligent with my jbco scalp massages. I haven't noticed any broken hairs on my shirts/pillow/sheets/etc from wearing my hair out the past 2 weeks so I'm going to assume it's okay to do...but I'm going back to my twists for the rest of the month. Maybe I will try braiding this time :)
    Heartses wrote: »
    I made my own banana hair mask Saturday night and loved the results soooo much that I'm going to commit to it weekly. I haven't tried avocado in my masks but maybe that will be this week since my bananas aren't old enough yet. I also have been using coconut oil on the ends of my hair to moisturize..I tried misting with water for moisture and it's a disaster with my hair. I need to be more diligent with my jbco scalp massages. I haven't noticed any broken hairs on my shirts/pillow/sheets/etc from wearing my hair out the past 2 weeks so I'm going to assume it's okay to do...but I'm going back to my twists for the rest of the month. Maybe I will try braiding this time :)

What is jbco?
    Kinking Present

JBCO= Jamaican Black Castor Oil
    Jeliah wrote: »
    JBCO= Jamaican Black Castor Oil

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kinking Present

You're welcome! You have beautiful curls btw :-)
  • MedusaWarriorMedusaWarrior Posts: 66Registered Users
    I'm in! I just want to see how long my hair can go. It's at classic when curly and about mid-thigh when wet. I'm in need of some deep conditioning treatments. Being at uni I haven't had the time but now it's summer!
    This is my prayer. That I'll die living just as free as my hair.
    MedusaWarrior your hair is AMAZING!!!:notworthy:
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Thanks dixygirl! :) You have lovely hair too! How long have you been wanting to grow your hair out?
    Thank you Medusa Warrior. I started last year. I was just below shoulder length and grew to mid back length with thin ends. Then I trimmed off about 3.5 inches and ended back up at bra strap length. I still didn't cut off all my stringy ends, but they're just going to have to stay for now because I do not want it that short. So, this year I hope to go back to mid back length at least.
    What is your length goal MedusaWarrior
    Good luck everyone!
    I'm hoping to get to knee at least and if it's still manageable, to the floor. I'll just have to get used to wearing it in a bun. In the future though I'll probably just maintain it at classic length.

If you want to retain length you can just do micro trims or just a search and destroy (checking the ends of your hair and cutting the split ends)
    I'm hoping to get to knee at least and if it's still manageable, to the floor. I'll just have to get used to wearing it in a bun. In the future though I'll probably just maintain it at classic length.

If you want to retain length you can just do micro trims or just a search and destroy (checking the ends of your hair and cutting the split ends)

:lol: That will be so cool knee length or floor length!
    Thanks for the suggestion about micro trims. How often do you think I should do them?
    Honestly, whenever you need it. Every few months should be good, it gives your hair a chance to lengthen and then you just micro trim to even out the hemline or s&d to take care of the split ends to minimize breakage.

If you do this yourself make sure to buy a pair of hairdressing scissors and only use them on your hair; nothing else :)
    Honestly, whenever you need it. Every few months should be good, it gives your hair a chance to lengthen and then you just micro trim to even out the hemline or s&d to take care of the split ends to minimize breakage.

If you do this yourself make sure to buy a pair of hairdressing scissors and only use them on your hair; nothing else :)

Have you always had long hair? If not, how long did it take you to get to where you are now? I honestly don't know how quickly my hair grows since I never really wore it curly before finding this website. I constantly flat ironed it so it would seem to grow extremely slowly due to all the breakage. It's been 2 months since I ditched all kinds of heat and I've been taking care of my curly hair. To me, it seems to be growing really fast but I can't tell. I haven't really measured it and my goal is waist length in a year. Have no clue if that's possible.
    Kinking Present

My hair wasn't always long. When I was younger I had it about shoulder length. When I was about 13/14 I used to always straighten it which was about 2007/2008. Then I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. It was taking up too much of my time and I would never wear it down anyway, so I just left it alone. I kept it up and out of the way until one day I just kinda realised it had gotten quite long. I'd straighten about once or twice a year to see how long it had gotten. My last proper trim was in 2010. I think it would reach my waist when straightened. I only started taking proper care of it last March.

It was never really my goal to grow long hair it kind of just happened. I never really focused on how much it was growing it was just a nice surprise when I noticed.

You might be able to get to waist. It might take longer than a year though. If you focus on making sure the length is healthy and in good shape you'll be able reach your goal quicker as you'll minimise any breakage. Trimming your hair doesn't make it grow faster, so only cut what's actually damaged so you'll be retaining the length rather than cutting off new growth.
  • BruchildaBruchilda Posts: 126Registered Users
    MedusaWarrior your hair is my motivation

So this is my progress after 3 years in a row of back to back keratin straighteners and hair dyes. My hair now is 8 months keratin and dye free.
    My original texture was mostly 3a with 2c parts.
    After so many BKTs I ve ended with a mix of roughly 2b, 2c and some 3a parts (lucky me actually). I m trying to get LONG long long long hair trimming little by little my thin ends

DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0219.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
  • BoogiedownBoogiedown Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hey, I would like to join this!

you all have very beautiful hair.

When curly I am between neck and shoulder. I wear it wavy/straight at the moment (I use heat free methods such as banding) and its between shoulder and armpit length. i'm trying to get it so that it is below shoulder blade length when straight/wavy, so i will be able wear it curly at shoulder/armpit length.

I grow around an inch a month naturally (I drink lots of water and take vitamins-silica, biotin etc.). I'm going to up my protein intake to see if it improves the growth rate or at least sustains it.

I used to have waist length curly hair and my eventual goal is get that back!

:thumbright:
  • PseudoavatarPseudoavatar Posts: 14Registered Users
    I will join gladly. A year ago I cut my long hair to shoulder-length and have had trouble growing it back, probably due to breakage. My hair has grown slower than usual during last winter, and I'm trying to change my hair routine to regain the growth.

I'm also having trouble with drinking enough water (I don't crave it at all during winter) so I'll definitely need to pay attention to that. I should start taking a potent multivitamin as well (I have tried biotin, but apparently my growth hiatus isn't caused by biotin deficiency as I saw no improvement).

Anyway, I'm going for a trim this Thursday and will not cut my hair in at least for another 6 months after that! So, I don't think I'll cut my hair more than twice during next year!:)
    Growing out natural hair color and transitioning from -cones and SLS to more natural hair care.
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    I want to join!

I have been trying to grow my hair out to the middle of my back this year. I am BSL right now, so I think it only needs to grow about 4 inches. I am in deployed in Afghanistan (humid, hot, and the water is full of chlorine :angryfire:) so I'm in a bun everyday and never find any time to trim. But I will try to flatiron and get a good trim at some point this summer.

I haven't blowdried since February, I stopped using gel earlier this month, and as of today I cut shampoo out of the routine too. Hopefully this helps me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
    Well, I'm going to have to start all over with this challenge. I went in for a "trim" yesterday and told my stylist I am trying to grow out my hair and wanted to keep the length I just needed the ends cut. She literally cut more than 2 inches off my hair. It went from laying just below my shoulders curly, to just below my ears curly. I cried for the longest time in my car afterward. I will from now on be the only person cutting my hair. Whatever products she used also left my hair feeling like sticky straw. Here's to hoping my hair can grow out of this length fast!
    Kinking Present

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file