Jouelzy's So over natural hair video

pictureperfectpictureperfect Posts: 15Registered Users
Hey guys, recently Jouelzy from YT has posted a video on the misrepresentation of type 4 hair. IF you have not seen it PLEASE GO WATCH IT.

Ok so here are my thoughts. I honestly like watching laid babyhairs lol. Idk why but I do. However, I don't take product recommendations from anyone without type 4 hair. And secretly I hate coming to this forum for type 4 hair to get advice for our hair and see someone with "laid baby hair" all in the mix. That's not what I'm here for. So now I'm on a type 4 everything kick to support our hair vloggers and show love to those who have hair like mine.

Tell me what are some of everyone else's thoughts on this video and topic.

Comments

• VallinciaVallincia Posts: 5Registered Users
    Yes, I do feel the misrepresentation in the natural hair community. As someone with 4a, b, and c hair, I feel the need for more people who are genuinely trying to educate people who don't have those "laid baby hairs". And it is a bit unfair for her to put so much effort and time for naught.

But, I have to say, this problem is not new. It's like a reincarnation of the "good hair" debate. And the only remedy is for everyone on the spectrum (1-4) to educate themselves fully on their own texture and others as well..
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Here's the link: So Over the Natural Hair Community & Texture Discrimination - YouTube

This is true. Not much I can add at the moment.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I watch ALL kinds of natural hair videos. long, short, loose, tight. I even watch weave, texlax, locs ect. I don't limit myself to what I will watch.

The honest truth imo some of it is texture but that's not all of it. Joelzy touched on it. it is her ATTITUDE. She used to be one of my favorites. I named her in a forum as one of the better vloggers. I think her hair is beautiful. I unsubscribed to her a few months ago because of a very condecending remark where she suggested people from a particular state were stupid. If she wants to be so wanted by companies she should learn to watch her mouth. If she wants to speak her mind and say whatever she pleases then stop complaining that companies don't want her name linked with their brand. Also Naptural85 and BeautifulBrownBabyDoll both have type 4 hair and have endorsement deals. Notice they carry themselves completely different. Not saying Joulzey has to act like someone else but she does come across to me as someone who isn't as mature. But maybe the reason she's stuck on the bench is some people have learned to play the game and she hasn't.
    BTW, my hair is not shiny nor do I have the baby hairs.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • busybeenaturalbusybeenatural Posts: 1Registered Users
    I don't agree with the previous post regarding her attitude. Yes, she comes across pretty difficult at times but that's just her personality. Naptural85 has endorsement deals and thats great for her but she also doesn't have 4c hair.. Yes she has type 4 hair but it's certainly not a 4c. :protest: I'm 100% in support or Jouelzy.
    I'm a 4c and I understand where she is coming from.
  • naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    I believe everyone has a valid piont. I absolutely believe this is nothing new, it definately stems back to the "whole good hair debate nonesense" I don't have 4c hair, but I do have 4a/b. Trust me folks ain't runnin' after my hair texture either!!!! I love Joulzey's hair and her channel, to bring up her attitude is valid, yeah I said it, but I di believe it has less to do with that. Yes she is very in your face, and that doesn't work for some. But you can't deny her subbies, her numbers are up there, so I get her point. I hope she continue's to post videos, because she's needed. It can not be denied that what she said is true, but again I believe everyone who has posted so far has a valid point
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't agree with the previous post regarding her attitude. Yes, she comes across pretty difficult at times but that's just her personality. Naptural85 has endorsement deals and thats great for her but she also doesn't have 4c hair.. Yes she has type 4 hair but it's certainly not a 4c. :protest: I'm 100% in support or Jouelzy.

Companies want to sell products and make money.

They don't want someone who makes remarks they don't see that fit their corporate brand endorsing them as they will lose money.

If she can get her points across without offending groups of people or sounding offensive then she will get the endorsements.
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    I guess I'm the only one that has never heard of this woman until now. If her attitude stinks, companies don't want to be involved. Nothing wrong with that. Being associated with someone that says offensive things could be detrimental to a brand. Look at everyone running from the Clippers right now. If she wants to be in the game, then she needs to learn how to play. If she refuses to play by their rules, then she won't be a big player in the game. I think it works like that for all industries though.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
    I agree all pov here make good points. I never said her hair type statement was not valid. I Believe it is. However IMO it is not the whole story to shout type discrimination and ignore other factors. If J didn't think there were people possibly being put off by her then why did she herself bring it up? Although I unsubed I don't have any ill will towards her. but I don't think she acts in a way that makes good business sense for someone who wants companies to put her as the face of their brand. Her out there brash personality may be a hit with subbies but I don't businesses will like her discussing some dude she let hit it which I have heard her do. My point is she can either act the part and get the endorsements or do her and stop whining. I'm a musician and there are those who compromise their art to be more commercial all the time. We say in the biz 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing. So J can just be a starving artist imo. BTW Taren had same complaints about not being paid for reviews and she is no 4.
    And I did notice how this went from supporting type 4 to oh well they're type 4 but not 4c so they don't count. Seems to me like the same divisiveness that is being complained about. Since I'm 4a and apparently don't rank high enough on the "nap scale" I won't be commenting on this anymore.
  • pictureperfectpictureperfect Posts: 15Registered Users
    I hear everyone's point and understand but why hasn't Melshary been getting this flack when she constantly gives negative comments on brands and has a similar attitude to Jouelzy? I love both because of their "attitude". Imo there shouldn't even be a game to play by to get attention in the natural hair community. She has the numbers so she is well liked. Do we really want our vloggers to become political?
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hear everyone's point and understand but why hasn't Melshary been getting this flack when she constantly gives negative comments on brands and has a similar attitude to Jouelzy? I love both because of their "attitude". Imo there shouldn't even be a game to play by to get attention in the natural hair community. She has the numbers so she is well liked. Do we really want our vloggers to become political?

Jouelzy is political.

If you are a Black woman you probably won't notice it as it's stuff we talk about all the time but to a company who wants to sell their products to as many of the Black diaspora worldwide* as possible then her views on race won't do.

I don't know who Melshary is.

*People from outside the US, like me, can see these videos. We also can purchase all or a lot of the products.
  • lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    I completely agreed with that video. I'm tired of people with "natural"- texlaxed, Brazilian keratined, Texture Management Systemed hair holding a bottle of snake oil vitamins in the camera and telling us how these are the reason they have long, shiny, loose curls. I'm tired of these people endorsing products that they KNOW aren't for us, to us, for a dollar.

I'm tired of videos on YT saying they just had to relax, texlax, BKT, or anything else because their hair was just too hard to manage. I'm honestly not too concerned with it hurting grown women's feelings as much as I'm concerned about the young girls on YT with type 4 hair watching these videos and thinking something is wrong with them or their hair because it doesn't look a certain way.

I'm tired of unrealistic expectations for natural hair. I'm tired of people using the term "afro" to describe a little bit of frizz or a WAVE (not exaggerating, I saw this a few weeks ago from a girl who straightens her hair).

I'm tired of type discrimination both ways. I agree with Jouelzy and I subscribed to her channel because of that video and guess what? I'm a type 3! All of us are able to see the foolery and f***ery she mentioned, regardless of hair type or texture.
    Amen Lovebonita! Amen!
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    lovebonita wrote: »
    I completely agreed with that video. I'm tired of people with "natural"- texlaxed, Brazilian keratined, Texture Management Systemed hair holding a bottle of snake oil vitamins in the camera and telling us how these are the reason they have long, shiny, loose curls. I'm tired of these people endorsing products that they KNOW aren't for us, to us, for a dollar.

I'm tired of videos on YT saying they just had to relax, texlax, BKT, or anything else because their hair was just too hard to manage. I'm honestly not too concerned with it hurting grown women's feelings as much as I'm concerned about the young girls on YT with type 4 hair watching these videos and thinking something is wrong with them or their hair because it doesn't look a certain way.

I'm tired of unrealistic expectations for natural hair. I'm tired of people using the term "afro" to describe a little bit of frizz or a WAVE (not exaggerating, I saw this a few weeks ago from a girl who straightens her hair).

I'm tired of type discrimination both ways. I agree with Jouelzy and I subscribed to her channel because of that video and guess what? I'm a type 3! All of us are able to see the foolery and f***ery she mentioned, regardless of hair type or texture.

Just curious

how do you know they are texlaxed if they haven't said so?
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
  • Still_NyaStill_Nya Posts: 27Registered Users
    "I'm tired of these people endorsing products that they KNOW aren't for us, to us, for a dollar."

Welcome to capitalism...
    3B--low porosity--high density--fine/medium
    PT: Hello Hydration/coconut oil, Poo: Organix, Condish: Jane Carter, Leave-In: As I Am, CW: Shea Radiance, DT: homemade, Sealant: avocado/jojoba oil, mango butter, Styler: KCCC, Shea Moisture
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Perhaps it's time to start railing against hair typing, period. Natural hair is just that, natural hair. The need for hair typing serves what purpose exactly?

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • Still_NyaStill_Nya Posts: 27Registered Users
    The only thing I can think of is just a starting place for natural hair newbies, to find out in a general sense what products/techniques may work for their curl type and which ones to absolutely stay away from or use caution.

Other than that... :confused3:
    3B--low porosity--high density--fine/medium
    PT: Hello Hydration/coconut oil, Poo: Organix, Condish: Jane Carter, Leave-In: As I Am, CW: Shea Radiance, DT: homemade, Sealant: avocado/jojoba oil, mango butter, Styler: KCCC, Shea Moisture
    Still_Nya wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is just a starting place for natural hair newbies, to find out in a general sense what products/techniques may work for their curl type and which ones to absolutely stay away from or use caution.

Other than that... :confused3:

Still_Nya, hair type is not what helps you determine your what products to use on your hair. Your hair properties determines that. Viewing hair style tutorials regardless of your hair type can give you ideas about how to style your hair. Most of the time I divisiveness l, it centers around hair type. Hair type is outdated and unnecessary IMO.

co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

event.png
  • LovemenappyLovemenappy Posts: 332Registered Users
    This is what happens when you apply a simplistic "hair typing" system to a diverse hair type.

Some people with 4c hair get pissed off when they see someone who claims to be 4c with two ringlets in their head. The argument is "you aint really 4c and it frustrates me because I want to see people with my hair type yada yada yada"....if there WERE no "typing system" people wouldn't get pissed off about this type of stuff.

Back in my day if someone said "Grapeseed Oil gives me great shine" I'd try it and if it didn't work for me, I would chock it up to....it didn't work for me and my hair reacted differently. Nowadays people want to claim "Well I'm a real 4c and you aren't a real 4c if you can get shine from this product because I didn't and you claim to have the same hair type as me".

The ugly truth is some 4 hair types just don't like being a 4. Period. Let's just call a spade a spade. That's about 80% of the problem. So when they see someone who claims to be a 4 getting 3b results from a hair gel it pisses them off. If you are comfortable with your hair type, using the products that work for you, etc then that kind of mess would not even matter.

Notice the old head naturals on NC do NOT stress curl types anymore.
    There is a focus on porosity and hair thickness.....curl pattern is not important. It has just caused unnecessary problems.
    Vloggers solicit companies for free stuff a LARGE portion of the time. They are paid advertisement operating under the ruse of being a "truthful reviewer that was sent a product for review". It's a sham. Their allegiance is to themselves. Not their subbies, and not the company that is paying them (products are a form of payment) for review...and if they get popular enough from the small companies that want advertisement and the subbies who just need guidance on going natural...they make money....and get on tv like MichellePhan. So now folks are filling themselves and get upset when they aren't getting free stuff and endorsements. Like they are owed that. Girl bye.

:goofy:
    This is what happens when you apply a simplistic "hair typing" system to a diverse hair type.

Some people with 4c hair get pissed off when they see someone who claims to be 4c with two ringlets in their head. The argument is "you aint really 4c and it frustrates me because I want to see people with my hair type yada yada yada"....if there WERE no "typing system" people wouldn't get pissed off about this type of stuff.

Back in my day if someone said "Grapeseed Oil gives me great shine" I'd try it and if it didn't work for me, I would chock it up to....it didn't work for me and my hair reacted differently. Nowadays people want to claim "Well I'm a real 4c and you aren't a real 4c if you can get shine from this product because I didn't and you claim to have the same hair type as me".

The ugly truth is some 4 hair types just don't like being a 4. Period. Let's just call a spade a spade. That's about 80% of the problem. So when they see someone who claims to be a 4 getting 3b results from a hair gel it pisses them off. If you are comfortable with your hair type, using the products that work for you, etc then that kind of mess would not even matter.

There is a focus on porosity and hair thickness.....curl pattern is not important. It has just caused unnecessary problems.

Amen!!!

event.png

"Well I'm a real 4c and you aren't a real 4c if you can get shine from this product because I didn't and you claim to have the same hair type as me".

:happy1: Yes. I see this all the time on YT and forums. People who complain about being marginalized and discarded by the natural hair community then turn around and attack people who claim their curl type with" you're not one of us."
    Personally, I think hair type is mostly irrelevant. I don'tlimit myself to products based on my hair type or ones that have pictures of women who look like me. I watch whoever's videos I like.

I know who she is. I have seen a lot of her videos but I have never been a subbie of hers like Joulzey. To me it has nothing to do with whether or not they like a product.No one on here had said anything negative about Joelzy until the subject was brought up. I never said anything when unsubbed her. So I don't this is giving her flack. It's just an opinion on why maybe some opportunities aren't coming her way. She has the attention of the nhc. that shows in the sub numbers. What she wants and doesn't have is money from companies which is why she's claiming just on her word alone all these people would run and buy a product. I suppose that is to impress companies but Some owners might not like the whole publically bragging on yourself thing. A little modesty can go a long way.
  • naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users

You took the words right outta my mouth YEEEASSSS!!!!!! The discrimination is obvious, but truly for so many of us (not all, but enough of us) have a really hard time accepting our texture. Again not saying the discrimination isn't real, I personally believe it is, not just from companies, but even each other.
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • CoiffedcoilsCoiffedcoils Posts: 35Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do think that her personality plays a little part in it. Some people might not get her humor.

Despite that, I think if she promoted herself a little better though she'd be able to get something. Building a business/brand takes time, and she needs to realize that is yet another part of why she isn't quite there yet.

However, there are always people who just have 'desired' hair(or should I say hair that 'sells'), and they will get attention quicker...unfortunately. Anyone who denies this, is just lying to themselves.

edit: Also what's the deal with people not wanting to get advice from various people of all different curl types or races. I don't get it. I honestly think you'd be missing out on some things.
    Instagram: @coiffedcoils
    Hair type: 4b/4c (with a few 4a at the nape and edges)
    Low porosity
    Following the curly girl method
    Ok clearly hair typing has played a role in our hair care. It does matter what hair type we are. If hair is hair cheesy slogan were true why are we in the type 4 forum? I'm type 4 and I would definitely listen more to other type 4s than a type 3 or 2.

I am so frustrated that someone would really say type 4s just hate their hair. Is this comparable to women of color getting upset that many of our celebrities of color are of a certain shade while darker skin tones have not gotten an equal amount of shine. Would you then say "darker skin girls are just hating their dark skin"? Hmmmm no...maybe we just want equal shine. We want to see someone who doesn't have laid baby hairs and biracial curls make it look like a million bucks! We want to see type 4s who deal with type 4 issues.

Maybe I am alone on this but I'm tired of acting like there is no difference in hair on a site that clearly proves there is. This is not natural.com it's naturally CURLY.com. The tighter the curl the more moisture it needs. Detangling type 4 hair is different. It just is! Type 4s are different. For everyone who disagrees maybe should question why they are even in this forum.
    Ok clearly hair typing has played a role in our hair care. It does matter what hair type we are. If hair is hair cheesy slogan were true why are we in the type 4 forum? I'm type 4 and I would definitely listen more to other type 4s than a type 3 or 2.

I am so frustrated that someone would really say type 4s just hate their hair. Is this comparable to women of color getting upset that many of our celebrities of color are of a certain shade while darker skin tones have not gotten an equal amount of shine. Would you then say "darker skin girls are just hating their dark skin"? Hmmmm no...maybe we just want equal shine. We want to see someone who doesn't have laid baby hairs and biracial curls make it look like a million bucks! We want to see type 4s who deal with type 4 issues.

Maybe I am alone on this but I'm tired of acting like there is no difference in hair on a site that clearly proves there is. This is not natural.com it's naturally CURLY.com. The tighter the curl the more moisture it needs. Detangling type 4 hair is different. It just is! Type 4s are different. For everyone who disagrees maybe should question why they are even in this forum.

I don't need to question. I hang out mostly in 4 because I have always preferred the vibe here because it meshes with my personality. Not because of hair type. In fact some of the most frequent posters in 4 over the years don't have 4 hair.And it's not like 4s don't participate in other sections. The hair typing used to be futher divided into 2, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b. It was through the will of the people that it was consolidated and new catergories about porosity and protein reaction were added. Plus not everyone falls completely in on type. I don't. I have a 3c nape. So I think the general mood of being less focused on hair type on here is clear and proven. I love Joulzy's hair and I sub to Glamfun and other 4s. I get the impression you are saying by not exclusively watching 4s, we are not "down with the cause". But I do not and will not limit myself to 4 videos which doesn't mean I hate my hair. I enjoy learning and researching. And I just like looking at hair. You say type 4 is different and I say all type 4s don't benefit from the same techniques and products because of other hair properties. Nap85 is my hair type twin but uses yogurt which gives me protein overload and she can wash her hair at night and it be fully air dried in the morning which is a pipe dream for my lopo hair.

I may be wrong but I understood the poster as saying there are 4s who think of 3 as "good hair". I agree completely. Those are the ones who think if they watch enough videos and try enough products their hair will go from 4b to 3b. Makes no sense to me and As long as they have that mentality no point with them. When they come on the boards I suggest they learn to love what they have or get a relaxer and usually they never post again. . There are also non 4s on this site who are very anti curly and hate their looser curls.My question for you is who are you seeking validation from for type 4 and why does that validation matter to you?
  • oohoohdejavuoohoohdejavu Posts: 16Registered Users
    I understand where she's coming from. I don't look at product reviews like I used too. Because 4c hair is not for wash&go's.

She's sick & tired of type 4b/c beauties getting the scraps.
    I hate the term "biracial curls" or anything that equates hair type to race/skin color.. I truly do.
    Type 3 hair isn't necessarily for wash&gos either. I could never literally wet my hair and leave the house. I'd deal with many of the same frustrations a type 4 would: tangles, knots, and uneven shrinkage, to name a few.

I think part of Jouelzy's message is being forgotten here; there are a lot of LIARS on YouTube. I don't know too many women who can leave the house with wet hair and have a bomb hairstyle. I don't know too many women who can rake a comb through their wet hair from root to tip like Mo Knows Hair. That just isn't the norm for too many curlies. These YT "gurus" are selling a pipe dream because they know new naturals are not gonna want to watch videos telling them the reality of the work that goes into maintaining natural hair. How discouraged would you get if somebody told you straight up that it will take you at least 30-60 minutes to detangle? That you might as well not even leave the house on wash day?

Please, PLEASE don't believe the hype ladies. There is no easier, more manageable, more desirable hair texture or type. There is hair, and if it grows out of your scalp, it's good hair. Every hair type has its positives and negatives.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file