Can any of you kind ladies help a Guy out?

How to get rid of stubborn curly hair when the rest are straight?

I'm a guy with thin Asian hair. My hair used to be naturally curly when I was younger, but it got straighter as I aged. Not only that, my hair would tend to stay at only one direction and sticks flat down to my scalp. So basically, my hair won't cooperate with me even when I use hair gel to keep it at a desired place. Through out the day, they will just return back to that flat and undesired direction.

Also, since my hair is once naturally super curly, the front tip of my head still stays naturally curly. I don't know how to describe it, but they will be naturally that curly to a point that it will sticks out and a makes a 'C' shape on my forehead. The best I could describe it to you is that only portion makes me look like Christopher Reeves when he plays Superman. You can clearly tell I'm a guy as I'm explaining this to you. :laughing9: Can any kind soul help me with this?

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As you can't post pictures then I would suggest you get a different hair cut.

You can have a style like a short back and sides. That way any differences in hair textures aren't obvious as only the top is longer. So you could get a barber to do a variation of that.

Alternatively if you wish to have a longer style find yourself a unisex hair stylist. They will probably take slightly more time especially if you don't go to the cheapest to cut your hair into a different style.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also probably some technique might help. What do you do when you wash your hair? Do you just comb it? Because if you have wave it probably combs the wave all together in one big clump, which is probably why you get the "C" on your forehead. What happens if you apply some product, (SOME) and comb it back from your forehead and scrunch it? And yeah, probably this has some to do with your cut too. Where do you live? Maybe you can find a curly stylist, which might help.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Haron5Haron5 Posts: 4Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    Also probably some technique might help. What do you do when you wash your hair? Do you just comb it? Because if you have wave it probably combs the wave all together in one big clump, which is probably why you get the "C" on your forehead. What happens if you apply some product, (SOME) and comb it back from your forehead and scrunch it? And yeah, probably this has some to do with your cut too. Where do you live? Maybe you can find a curly stylist, which might help.
    I usually just use shampoo when I wash my hair. It's been a long time since I use a comb. I just dry my hair out with a towel. I apply product and style it up when it's really short. When I let my hair grow, I can't really style it up due to that wave even when I apply product, so I just let it grow into bangs. And the problem is that particular set of hair, which is at the centre, will make that 'C' shape while the rest are straight. Leaving this gap in the centre. Even when you pushed it to the side, that hair will be a little rebellious. It's like they're the odd one out. It will get worse if my hair gets wet after a long hot day.

I'm not from the States, I live in Singapore. I know a professional stylist here, but not much advice since most cuts are for people with straight hair..
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Waves or curls tend to form when your hair gets to a certain length. It sounds like that portion of your hair is the longest hair on your head (since you said you let it grow into bangs)? If you want to get rid of it, you will have to get a new hair cut - I'm with everyone else on this one. Either that or grow out your hair so it can finish the curl pattern and not be weird.

A picture would help a lot. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it correctly.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Haron5Haron5 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Blueblood wrote: »
    As you can't post pictures then I would suggest you get a different hair cut.

You can have a style like a short back and sides. That way any differences in hair textures aren't obvious as only the top is longer. So you could get a barber to do a variation of that.

Alternatively if you wish to have a longer style find yourself a unisex hair stylist. They will probably take slightly more time especially if you don't go to the cheapest to cut your hair into a different style.
    Even with short side and back while the top is longer, the front bit will grow faster and that odd curl will form and most product would find it hard to keep it relatively straight or at least manageable for the day.

I would love a variation of styles with longer hair, the only solution that the hair stylist would give is to do a soft rebond then I guess since only that set of hair is curly and it's hard to work with. What do you think? I love getting advice and I do appreciate it a lot.
    Haron5 wrote: »
    Even with short side and back while the top is longer, the front bit will grow faster and that odd curl will form and most product would find it hard to keep it relatively straight or at least manageable for the day.

At that point you would get your hair cut again.

Some of my male friends' and male family get their hair cut a lot at the barbers. And they are of all ethnicities.

They are the guys you don't notice that they have had hair cut.
    Haron5 wrote: »

I would love a variation of styles with longer hair, the only solution that the hair stylist would give is to do a soft rebond then I guess since only that set of hair is curly and it's hard to work with. What do you think? I love getting advice and I do appreciate it a lot.

Posters on this site are generally against chemical processing as it can make any problems worse.

As we can't see a picture of your hair as another poster already suggested you are just going to have to grow your hair longer so the curl fully develops.

If you aren't working and a student you can probably get away with this as lots of people who grow out their hair have a length when their hair looks a mess. If you are working then you may not get away with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file