Can low-porosity hair still do well with cowashing?

FlaCamperFlaCamper Posts: 27Registered Users
I am generally an oily person... Oily skin all over, oily scalp, hair that is greasy if I go more than 24 hrs without (sulfate/silicone free) shampooing. I tried cowashing, like, once, years ago when I first read CG. But neither that nor skipping a day of washing seemed to go well.

I'm now pretty sure I'm fine and low-porosity. (I looked at some of my hair under my kid's microscope and it looked pretty smooth at every magnification and all up and down the shaft.) And I'm starting to experiment more with finding the balance between moisture and protein.

I can't help wondering if I could cowash successfully, or if I'm too naturally greasy and low-porosity to handle it. Thoughts?
Living in Florida with the rockets and the alligators! :sunny:

2b/2c/3a, fine, low/normal porosity
Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat
RO: Suave Naturals Coconut or SM Smooth&Repair (if I use RO at all.)
LI: It's a 10 (contains cones, but I clarify now and then)
Styling: GF Curl Shaping Gel

*Fair warning... This regimen does not seem to work quite right!*

Comments

• klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not sure if low porosity would be relevant as to whether co-washing would work but maybe the oiliness would?

I have low porosity too and I've been CG for years. However, I'm the exact opposite of you as far as my skin and scalp goes... I am dry dry dry! I have to use oil on my scalp and skin in the winter because I get so dry my scalp itches and my skin actually gets scaly from being so dry (ick!!)
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have low porosity hair on the coarse side and can't cowash because my scalp is too oily. I get bad build up and itchies when I have tried in the past.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I used to have the same problem until I found a cowash that works and I rub rather good upside down. Maybe it is because it has protein too. I heard low porosity does well with protein.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used to have the same problem until I found a cowash that works and I rub rather good upside down. Maybe it is because it has protein too. I heard low porosity does well with protein.

Protein doesn't work well for coarse hair.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I first learned about CGing, I had very oily hair. Because of being a nurse, I wanted to shower and shampoo after a germy day at work. Then, thanks, I now realize, to the silicone on my hair, I wouldn't be able to effectively dampen my hair to get rid of the wonkiness resulting from hair positioning while sleeping, I'd have to wash it again in the morning to shift the silicones so I could get my curl to refresh. I had to low-poo some of the time because my scalp oil glands were cranking oil out at maximum production levels. In order to get it to slow down, and to protect my hair, I'd apply conditioner to the length of my hair after wetting it, then low-poo the roots; after rinsing my hair completely, I'd replace the repeat stage in lather, rinse, and repeat with a co-wash, so I'd get the excess oil out, but still leave enough conditioner that my scalp wasn't stripped of oil. I was quickly able to decrease the frequency with which I needed to low-poo, co-wash more, and even begin to skip washing my hair some days I didn't work..

If you feel that you are getting some scalp buildup after a short while, you don't need to reach for the low-poo BTW. Oftentimes mixing one tablespoon of brown sugar with your usual co-wash conditioner, then doing an extra thorough scalp massage will break that up.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I am on coarse side but my roots love the condish I use which is full of protein. It's also low porosity.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • anonymous_166474anonymous_166474 Posts: 70Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am low porosity and I can only co-wash once a week because of build up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kosher Curls
    mostly 3b curls
    Low Porosity
    fine, medium, coarse
    medium to high density
    Products: Giovanni direct leave in and olive or argan oil eco styler.

LONG: 10"+ (armpit to waist length)
  • FlaCamperFlaCamper Posts: 27Registered Users
    Well I see I'm not alone, at least! Thanks for everyone's input.

Last night I tried cowashing with Suave naturals coconut, and was very surprised that my hair did not dry into a stringy, greasy mess (like I expected). I washed again when I got up, with low-poo like normal. So I don't know how it would have held up over a whole day. But it was interesting and I'll probably experiment with it on weekends for a while. Since my hair is pretty fine, I'm also trying to get into a gelatine PT routine. Morgan I liked your suggestion to low-poo to remove extra oil but then cowash so the scalp isn't stripped.

Today I washed with my low-poo and then followed with Suave naturals coconut cowash, then used my usual gel, and it's not half bad! It may feel slightly heavy but it's not "unevenly dry/moist" (I don't know how to describe how it sometimes feels). I do have a LOT more halo today so I'm not sure what that is about. There is a chance I am overdoing moisture -- hair is pretty fine -- and maybe if I do this two days in a row I will regret it. But what an interesting experiment. I had no idea I could pull off cowashing.

Try distributing a small amount of gel on your hands prior to SOTCing. That should leave your hair soft and eliminate frizz.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I cowas but I can't only cowash. I need a lopoo once a week or I get itchies.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I'm low porosity & to get rid of the itchiness is to spritz my hair/scalp with sea breeze before cowashing. My scalp loves it. So soothing.
    I also use a clarifying shampoo once a month.
    What is sea breeze? (Sounds nice!)

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have to clarify with some regularity. Right now, especially since it's the weekend, I'm gonna see what I can get away with in terms of cowashing, second day hair, etc. ...All the things I thought I couldn't ever do! I switched gel yesterday and had a decent result, which has me wondering if the limp and greasy issues I was having were due to the gel instead of over-moisture.

So much guesswork, right?!

This is probably a really individual answer, but is it normal, or a universally bad idea, to cowash daily most of the time? I have to shower most days because my skin is oily and Florida is already hot and muggy every day. So it would be easier to wet it and do something with it. It feels SO NICE after cowashing and I wonder if doing it daily is a no-no for someone like me (fine, low-porosity)?

You can co-wash daily. My hair is ultra fine and low porosity (though I've no idea how porosity would have an impact on this), and that's what I was doing most days before I finally worked out how to get multi-day hair.

Another option is to do a water wash on some days. This is not just rinsing your hair. You should be doing a very thorough scalp massage under the running water. When done washing, you should apply conditioner, as usual. This leaves your hair amazingly clean (my hair has actually been squeaky clean after water washing), and completely free of any dirty hair/scalp aroma, provided that you really do a good scalp massage, just as you would normally do when co-washing.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Sea breeze is a face astringent. Just like it will get the gunk off your face, it will loosen product in your hair & relieve the itchy scalp. It will loosen the product so it will rinse out.
    Y'all were right. Low porosity does not mean I can't cowash. I thought low porosity meant the moisture in conditioner would sit on my hair and feel/look gross, but it hasn't been like that at all since I learned how important it is to really, really scrub the scalp. I still have to clean it with something each morning but -- maybe this sounds crazy -- my hair and scalp actually are more comfortable since I've been cowashing. I'm seeing more definition and shine when I've cowashed and realizing how much drier (not in a good way) it feels after low pooing.

I had to tell my curly coworker about this cowashing revelation. I hope it'll help her too. I am so thrilled that it works.

• Rosieposie25Rosieposie25 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have dry scalp too! And I can only go for second day hair before co washing. Do you wash your hair everyday? Or add oil to the scalp on second day ?
    Have you tried massaging your scalp with wet fingertips, inserted through your hair? As long as it's not coated with something which creates a moistureproof barrier (which would explain the driness), that should relieve the problem.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
  • VeishkaLizVeishkaLiz Posts: 4Registered Users
    How often should low porosity be washed?
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wash my low-po hair every 3-4 days with a sulfate-free poo and do a clarifying poo with a sulfate about once a month. It depends on your hair; I would just start experimenting.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • NissaNissa Posts: 21Registered Users
    I've been doing cg method for a about a year and I have the same hair properties as you. I have very fine hair, low porosity, very oily scalp (and face), easily weighted down curls. I cowash with suave strawberry or vo5 strawberry but I also use baby shampoo without sls every other time I wash and sometimes I use pantene shampoo to clarify. I also use baking soda and acv rinse when I'm not lazy. I used to wash my hair everyday but gradually after cowashing and baking soda & acv rinsing my oily scalp produce less oil. But it takes time for this to happen. Now I can go without washing for up 4 days which was impossible before and I don't have dandruff anymore. I live in Indonesia which is humid and polluted but my co washing routine works at least for me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file