How to apply gelatine PT

FlaCamperFlaCamper Registered Users Posts: 27
This feels like a silly question, but when I made IAGirl's gelatine treatment, it was fairly watery and I wasn't actually sure how to go about getting it evenly into my hair. What I did was, I got the treatment all ready and left it outside the shower in a glass measuring cup. Then after (sulfate/silicone-free) shampooing, I turned the water off, grabbed the cup, and would pour some into a cupped hand and then try to squish it up into my hair from the roots up. I really couldn't tell how much was really getting into my hair vs. how much was dripping onto the shower floor. I left it on for a few minutes, then rinsed it out.

So, there is the question of... am I getting it into my hair the right way? I'm afraid if I pour it, it'll all sit on my scalp, not be even, etc, but maybe that's the right way...?

Another issue is by the time I'm ready to use it, it's cooled way down (even if I take it straight to the shower from the kitchen). I know there are options for using a blow dryer to wasrm it, etc., but I just imagine getting gelatin smeared all over the bathroom.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this... Just seems sort of unwieldy. Suggestions?
Living in Florida with the rockets and the alligators! :sunny:

2b/2c/3a, fine, low/normal porosity
Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat
RO: Suave Naturals Coconut or SM Smooth&Repair (if I use RO at all.)
LI: It's a 10 (contains cones, but I clarify now and then)
Styling: GF Curl Shaping Gel

*Fair warning... This regimen does not seem to work quite right!*

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    It can be sort of unwieldy, and depending on the add-ins you use, can be sort of watery or more gelatinous. It's probably not critical to get every drop of pt on your hair, but you definitely want enough on there to coat all your strands. Don't stress too much about more here and less there. Unless part of your hair has no pt on it, you're probably ok.

Did you use a half or whole package of gelatin? Using a full package tends to leave it less watery (depending on add-ins), to the point where if I let mine cool too much, I'd have to rewarm it because it was too thick to apply. If your pt was very watery, you might try pouring it into an applicator (squirt) bottle next time. That would make it much easier to apply in a targeted and methodical manner.

I usually just use my hands to apply, but I'll also dip the length of my hair into the pt mixture and then squeeze off some of the excess. Since my length (especially ends) is more likely to be damaged from wear and tear, I feel like this method is a good way to get it all coated. I do have some drips this way and not all the pt ends up in my hair, however I always have enough that all my strands get a good coating. I usually clarify beforehand in the shower, blot my hair, then apply the pt, so it's easy to rinse any stray drops off my tub floor and down the drain. After application, I usually baggie my hair, which helps both to keep the goo on my hair (not my neck /back /body) and to trap some body heat. If I've gotten pt on my neck /shoulders, this is when I'd rinse that off. (This is also when I'd blow dry if I wanted to use heat). Then I may or may not also wrap my head with a towel to further trap body heat. Since I'm happy with the results I get that way, I don't bother with blow drying it.

The original pt recipe was concocted as a more natural alternative to the Aphogee 2-Step, which is a commercial pt you apply, then blow dry till it hardens. The original gelatin pt recipe called for adding epsom salt if you were going to blow dry it into your hair, which helped the mixture to firm up instead of remaining runny. Epsom salt can be drying to both hair and scalp though, and you don't have to use it if you choose to blow dry your pt.

If you're interested, this is the original thread where IAGirl introduced the recipe. It's fairly long, but it does have several posted variations /customizations. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html

You might also want to read this thread by Rymorg2, a curly stylist /educator who used to post here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/105582-few-tips-treatments-newbies-not-so-newbies-too.html. She does a good job of explaining how to do a pt and what a pt does. The one thing I'd note though is that not everyone needs to follow a pt with a dt. Just follow with moisture equal to whatever level of dryness you feel when you rinse the pt out. For my fine hair, I just follow with my normal rinse out. I've never needed to dt afterward.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I actually just posted a thick protein treatment recipe yesterday: Science-y Hair Blog: Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update

I apply it in sections now and smooth it over like paper mache - nice and thick.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    IAgirl wrote: »
    I actually just posted a thick protein treatment recipe yesterday: Science-y Hair Blog: Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update

I apply it in sections now and smooth it over like paper mache - nice and thick.

Sweet! I just saw this yesterday while looking for something else, but I hadn't had a chance to read thoroughly yet. I usually add 1 teaspoon honey and 3 teaspoons Cure Care, and 3 drops oil (usually coconut or safflower) to the base recipe. If I'm understanding correctly, I can freeze the base mixture with no problems. Am I also correct in assuming I wouldn't want to freeze the final mixture (base recipe + conditioner + oil + honey)? I've refrigerated my final mix before without any issues, but I never tried freezing it because I figured it wouldn't do anything good for the conditioner part. I'm not all that concerned about the honey or oil.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I just cup my hair ends in my non-dominant hand, pour the PT over my hair (toward my hand), and squish it in well with both hands. I leave it on 2-3 minutes after I've finished squishing, and then rinse.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    You might want to leave out the conditioner when you freeze it.
  • FlaCamperFlaCamper Registered Users Posts: 27
    Oh, awesome. I can try all of this...from the earlier suggestions to apply the original, to the new thicker recipe (yay!). Thanks!!
    Living in Florida with the rockets and the alligators! :sunny:

2b/2c/3a, fine, low/normal porosity
    Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Threat
    RO: Suave Naturals Coconut or SM Smooth&Repair (if I use RO at all.)
    LI: It's a 10 (contains cones, but I clarify now and then)
    Styling: GF Curl Shaping Gel

*Fair warning... This regimen does not seem to work quite right!*
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    I use a hair dye applicator with the runny gelatin treatment. I put my add ins in the dye bottle. I pour the boiling water in a measuring cup over the gelatin and stir until smooth before pouring into the dye bottle. Put the cap on, then I hop in the shower with my mix. I can shake it up before applying, plus it cools to a workable temp while I shampoo and condition.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • NamelessElegyNamelessElegy Registered Users Posts: 40
    The length of my hair is the most damaged from dying/highlighting/heat styling/straightening so I usually put the gelatin treatment in a bowl big enough to dip my hair in and then dip my hair as close to the nape of my neck as I can in the PT. I gently squeeze the extra that's going to drip everywhere back into the bowl and then apply everything that is left to the top of my head and anywhere else that got missed.

I can't say that this is the "best" way or even really a "good" way but it seems to work for me. Bonus: it concentrates the PT where I personally need it most.
    2a/3a (I think?), very fine, medium density, low porosity. Protein craving.
    Low poo: Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo and L'Oreal's EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo (Occasionally)
    Rinse out/Leave in: TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
    Stylers: EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System™ Humidity Defying Leave-In Crème (Occasionally), Fructis Style
    Curl Scrunch Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file