how to get 2nd day hair??

hi curlies..

i did a search on no-glycerin & lightweight products for curls, that i can use on dry or maybe damp hair. My curls need a lot of hold and on the second day i get usually a lot of frizz and they look dry. it sadly doesn`t work to reactivate the styling products in my hair, this results in even more frizz.

i was looking in darcys botanical hair milks or any other moisturizing curl milk without glycerin.

I`m living in switzerland, so, i should order it through iherb, curlyemporium or any Shop in Germany. We have only Sheamoisture to order here, and i`m thinking this is to heavy for my thin, high porous hair...?
medium density, medium-high porosity, 2c/3a Curls, bright cherry red, growing out damage

low-poo: Sante shampoo brillant jojoba care
treatments: diy PT`s
Conditioner/leave-in: TBS Rainforest Condi`s & pure gelatin
styling: 4naturals spring back curling custard
SOTS with a tiny little bit of coconut oil

*don`t like polyquats, glycerine, silicones & too much oil

fotki: http://public.fotki.com/cherryredcurly/my-first-album/

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've personally found that I do best with homemade curl refresher. Start with a plant mister bottle, not just any spray bottle. Then mix distilled water with conditioner, 3:1. I like to add a few drops of essential oils of lavender and rosemary, and a very scant pinch of sea salt or table salt. Shake well before you use it.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    Hi cherryredcurls!

The thing that's been working for me with the 4NSBCC has been an aloe vera/water spritz, a comb and a bowl diffuser... My hair doesn't seem to mind aloe in the right dew points.

I'll spritz my hair with the AVG/H2O mister, then comb it through lightly. (It helps a little if I've finger combed it a bit first.) The ends of my hair spiral, so I just kind of lean to the side, gather my hair in the bowl diffuser, and pixie diffuse. The spirals form nicely, for the most part, and the AVG gives a little crunch that doesn't look terrible (I often don't SOTC for the second day). Second day has been difficult for me, but this seems to be working out nicely, so much so that it's my routine if I have to be someplace early and wash the night before. Second day hair for me translates to "presentable" and not "perfect," LOL!

I might get a little surface frizz at the very top, but for me it's pretty minimal. Sometimes I'll use a conditioner spray as mentioned by Morgan_Adcock as well, but I find the AVG to be a little lighter. I want to try some lavender oil at some point.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I should add that, for me, it's really important not to get my hair very wet. My goal is to lightly dampen it so that my curls have just barely enough moisture to reform, and possibly to regroup slightly.

Also, it helps tremendously IME to use a _silk_ pillowcase.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    True that, I also don't have to soak my hair - just damp enough to reform the curls.

Great hair thinks alike ;)

:thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • cherryredcurlycherryredcurly Posts: 38Registered Users
    thanks for the advice and help! :)

yesterday i was thinking about, to combine 1 teaspoon of hard hold gel with 2 teaspoon of a very rich conditioner and 1 Teaspoon pure aloe vera gel... could this be working?? I`m afraid to waste products..
    medium density, medium-high porosity, 2c/3a Curls, bright cherry red, growing out damage

Sometimes AVG doesn't play nicely with certain conditioners - you'll get these little white balls that form when you try to mix them. Mix a dab of each together in your palm to see if they are compatible before measuring out larger amounts.

I have mixed a little gel and conditioner together before (like a curl cream, I guess) and smoothed a thin layer over dry-ish hair before, and sometimes it works ok, bouncing the curls back up... Sometimes it doesn't, and it may have to do with a gel that my hair doesn't care for. I should try it again with something else. :idea1:

For me though, and I don't know if it will work for you as well, lightly combing with a wide tooth comb helps my curls reclump, as it were - almost like Hollywood glamor waves, all brushed out and fluffy. (Then I will mist and diffuse, or whatever I am trying to do that day.) But my hair really likes to form these mega-clump-wave-curls in the back that, now that it's at a good length, I'm totally digging.

Give it a try, the worst to come of it is an updo-day ;)

• anonymous_166474anonymous_166474 Posts: 70Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wet hands, argan oil eco styler gel and a little finger twirling for the frizzies is all my second day requires. The night before I jojoba the ends and pineapple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kosher Curls
    mostly 3b curls
    Low Porosity
    fine, medium, coarse
    medium to high density
    Products: Giovanni direct leave in and olive or argan oil eco styler.

LONG: 10"+ (armpit to waist length)
  • cherryredcurlycherryredcurly Posts: 38Registered Users
    sooo... i`d made a "hair milk" with a rich conditioner, a little bit apple cider vinegar, 5 drops avocadooil and water. i sprayed my hair yesterday before i got to bed, tied it up into a loose bun and took my satin cap to protect the curls. And voila, i got resonable second day hair without that much frizz.
    Thanks Ladies, you did inspire me to diy ;)

:hello1:

Great that it worked out for you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file