How do u feel about vlogger endorsements?

adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ0LPQI_ZtY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RYT3WR-4bCQ

Remember when Taren had her know your worth rant? My opinion was that if she was being a whiny baby. People who are paid for endorsements should be cleary identifiable as company spokespersons. We all know Cover Girl is paying Queen Latifa. I disagree with demanding payments for reviews. I don't trust them. The vlogger can always decline to do the review if she doesn't have time plus I think the viewer should be told the vlogger was paid. Plus I didn't like that Taren said he wouldn't post the review if she didn't like the product.
. I noticed that at least two vloggers have become spokespeople. Naptural85 for Carl's Daughter and Beautiful Brown Baby Doll for Dark and lovely hair color. I have no problem with this what so ever. First it is clearly identified as an ad. Secondly it is also presented as a style tutorial that is not necessarily limited to these products. . We all know Nap also uses other products. Personally, it doesn't make me want to buy the product bc CD line is too heavy for me and I don't use chemical color. Then I feel like I have seen enough of Nap's videos and tutorials not to feel like this is just a money grab since she didn't throw a hissy fit in the past about not being paid. . Baby Doll I feel the same way about. I met her at a meetup.. Very nice and classy. But I admit I may be biased because I love me some Nap85 but am not a fan of Taren.
Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Comments

  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I have no issue with it as long as no dishonesty is going on. If it is a good product let it be so for hopefully the overwhelming majority. BBBD and Nap85 have built a positive ethos for those in the natural hair care community of honesty and integrity. Now of course everyone's hair is not going to respond the same way to everything and that is where it will get tricky. Will they accuse vloggers who endorse the products as fakes? Oh Taren, memories.....
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • LovemenappyLovemenappy Posts: 332Registered Users
    I would be pissed off if I sent a product to a vlogger for a review and then they did a crappy review that got 20,000+ views. The vlogger got a free product, and will receive additional views by my company name being associated with the video.

    Anyone who receives a product in exchange for a review is paid advertisement. These people usually are also lying when they act like a company just contacted them out of the blue for a review. Usually they do the contacting citing their "100,000 subbies".

    The whole youtube thing got messed up when regular people who originally did reviews for hobby and to spread truthful information started to use it as an easy business venture.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm only interested in product reviews on blogs or vlogs if the product came through a third party

    If the product came from the manufacturer then some vloggers and bloggers will just lie.

    Saying that I've seen more negative reviews on blogs when the product came through a third party telling the truth on a product - that it wasn't worth the price or didn't work - than I've seen on videos.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blueblood wrote: »
    I'm only interested in product reviews on blogs or vlogs if the product came through a third party

    If the product came from the manufacturer then some vloggers and bloggers will just lie.

    Saying that I've seen more negative reviews on blogs when the product came through a third party telling the truth on a product - that it wasn't worth the price or didn't work - than I've seen on videos.

    This. If I am curious about a hair or makeup product (whatever it may be), I do not look to one person. I may watch some video's by a few different people, check comments and reviews on sites, etc. Regardless I take it all with a grain of salt. There are never any guarantees that what works on someone else will work on you. No matter how many similarities they have.

    A lot of drama happens between vloggers/bloggers, doesn't it? I typically avoid all of that, too. I come across different 'These are the Days of Our Lives' rants when looking at reviews.

    ETA: on the endorsement thing... I would be rather hesitant and incredibly careful about selecting someone to endorse my product due to a great deal of behavior in the vlogging community. Even if the vlogger maintains composure most of the time, you still have to consider the stuff stirred up by commenters and other vloggers. I come across so many people saying they woke up to complete subscriber chaos and anarchy. There is a great deal of immature behavior and though I enjoy watching product reviews and tutorials, from a business stand point... I would not want my name anywhere near it.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fifi.G wrote: »


    A lot of drama happens between vloggers/bloggers, doesn't it? I typically avoid all of that, too. I come across different 'These are the Days of Our Lives' rants when looking at reviews.

    ETA: on the endorsement thing... I would be rather hesitant and incredibly careful about selecting someone to endorse my product due to a great deal of behavior in the vlogging community. Even if the vlogger maintains composure most of the time, you still have to consider the stuff stirred up by commenters and other vloggers. I come across so many people saying they woke up to complete subscriber chaos and anarchy. There is a great deal of immature behavior and though I enjoy watching product reviews and tutorials, from a business stand point... I would not want my name anywhere near it.

    I should have put bloggers in too but truth is I rarely read blogs. I don't even read the blogs of the vloggers I follow.

    If I had a product there are many popular vloggers I wouldn't consider endorsing because they're messy. And yes some vloggers don't seem to understand that behavior that will come across as fun and cute to win a lot subscribers may be a total turnoff to businesses. Subs tend to like drama. Some will send vloggers messages saying girl do you know what such and such said about you. Instigators. I have seen several vloggers go after each other.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Chime is promoting Beautiful Textures TMS. So is Felicia Leatherwood.

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZTBo6i_GA
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    adthomas wrote: »
    Fifi.G wrote: »


    A lot of drama happens between vloggers/bloggers, doesn't it? I typically avoid all of that, too. I come across different 'These are the Days of Our Lives' rants when looking at reviews.

    ETA: on the endorsement thing... I would be rather hesitant and incredibly careful about selecting someone to endorse my product due to a great deal of behavior in the vlogging community. Even if the vlogger maintains composure most of the time, you still have to consider the stuff stirred up by commenters and other vloggers. I come across so many people saying they woke up to complete subscriber chaos and anarchy. There is a great deal of immature behavior and though I enjoy watching product reviews and tutorials, from a business stand point... I would not want my name anywhere near it.

    I should have put bloggers in too but truth is I rarely read blogs. I don't even read the blogs of the vloggers I follow.

    If I had a product there are many popular vloggers I wouldn't consider endorsing because they're messy. And yes some vloggers don't seem to understand that behavior that will come across as fun and cute to win a lot subscribers may be a total turnoff to businesses. Subs tend to like drama. Some will send vloggers messages saying girl do you know what such and such said about you. Instigators. I have seen several vloggers go after each other.

    Exactly! It's a lot of BS coming from different sides. I remember googling the top vloggers for hair and makeup and coming across so many hate rants about the people. Some written by other vloggers, some by subscribers. People getting mad because so and so used the same product in a video right after they did and she is copying you! Then people are attacking each other on Twitter and in the comments. That would make me flinch if I happened to manufacture the products involved. Especially when it comes to all the accusations that the companies supply the Vloggers with a higher quality products because subscribers tried it and didn't get the same results. Conspiracy theories over hair gel and lipstick. Haha. It can be a huge mess.

    I rarely subscribe to anyone. If I do it's a pro with several hears of experience or someone who I find truly gifted. I mainly drift around and check on things I am interested in anyway.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    I don't have a problem with vlogger endorsements at all, but like you said it needs to be clearly identified as an endorsement/sponsored video. A review I don't think should be paid for. Payment is the product and the views your new video will get. If that's not enough payment for the vloggers, then they shouldn't do the review. We want to trust a review, and let's be honest money can easily cloud judgment. If a company paid good for me to review their shampoo, why would I be critical when I could stand to make some more money by reviewing their conditioners, butters, and gels. I'm not a fan of BBBD, so I don't know anything about her endorsement but I've been subscribed to Naptural for years. I love how she did her sponsored video. She showed us what the product did for her hair and where it can be purchased. That was it. She loses no credibility with me for that.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file