Growing out fine hair

themhappycurlzthemhappycurlz Posts: 18Registered Users
Hello everyone,

I´ve been a regular visitor on this site for a little more than a year now. I´ve decided to finally find a way to get the healthy hair I want.
It all started when I was 11 and my mother talked me into a very short haircut (not a cute one - I looked like an old lady) which I hated. So I´ve been wanting to grow my hair long ever since (that´s 18 years now) but I had just no idea how to keep it from breaking off.
I started CGing in February 2013 with shoulder lenght hair (when streched). My hair has gotten much healthier since then. I think I found products and a routine that work well for me (in my signature). I take hair vitamines. At night I bun my hair up or pineappel with a soft satin scrunchie and sleep on a satin pillowcase. As my curls are very fine most protective styles look very "scalpy" on me. So most of the time I wear buns, sometimes ponytales. But I still feel like I have too much breakage and I can´t get rid of the single strand knots.
Sometimes I wonder if it is even possible to grow my type of hair out to waist length (when dry) - that would be my ultimate goal.
Is there anyone out there with a similar hair type who succeeded in this? Am I missing anything important? I would be very thankful for advice.
3b - fine - low porosity - low/medium density curls
Pre-poo: Olive and Arganoil with Aloe Vera and Condi

Cleansing: CV BBC/ ACV
Condish: Drug store brands
Leave-In: As I Am, SM Thickening Growth Milk
Oils: Olive, Argan, Avocado, Grape Seed
Styler: SM CES, Eco Styler Gel

Comments

• Gilly07Gilly07 Posts: 95Registered Users
    I can offer no advice as I am in the same boat, woefully fine hair that keeps breaking, I can't get it past collar length at the moment, I don't have enough length to put it up for protection, it needs daily washing as it just will NOT behave otherwise ( I tried washing at night but I looked so scary in the mornings that I just had to wash it again, wetting down would not fix it!), at the moment I am COing as much as possible, I am still blow drying as I have to look neat at work, damp hair is not allowed! I have started taking a high strength silica tablet daily, I am only on day four so maybe its a bit soon to expect a result! :toothy10:
    I will be following this thread.
  • themhappycurlzthemhappycurlz Posts: 18Registered Users
    Hey Gilly07,
    this sounds all familiar to me. When I first started I tried CO washing twice a week but I soon figuered out that this wasn´t doing any good. Too much breakage and I can´t even get 2nd day hair. So I wash every 2 days now. Always in the morning. If I do it at night my hair kind of sticks to my head and won´t come down till I wash again. It´s the same with the pineapple, when I take the scrunchie out it stays in this stupid shape. Spraying with water helps but I still wouldn´t wear it like that in public. But I work at home so I don´t have to look good all the time.
    I do DT (oils mixed with hair mask) at night before washday. For styling I find that just raking and scrunching in products gives me no definition. I smooth and fingercoil a lot. This helps also with the knots and really doesn´t take long because I don´t have that much hair. Still, I always find single strand knots mostly on the back of my head.

I´ll try to show some pictures when I´ve figuered out how this works :roll:.
    If you go to my profile you see a picture of what my hair looks like at the end of a wash day when I haven´t done any effort to define it (just leave in, oil and gel scrunched in). I call it 3b ish kind of hair because I can´t really tell the hair type.

• dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    Us fine hair ladies who want to grow long hair, should remember one of the main rules of growing long hair.... Keep your hands out of your hair. So for us particularly, we should remain in buns if long hair is our goal. The less manipulation we do to our fragile locks the better. The less glue or cement in the form of gel we use in our hair the better. And the more soothing agents that provide slip to assist in detangling, the better. Also, the smoother we keep our tresses, the fewer tangles and the less breakage we will experience. This will all result in more length retention. So in my experience, I have grown 5 inches in 4 months last year while following certain practices. I am starting them again now in hopes of another growth spurt. Those practices do not involve high daily manipulation, gels, blow dryers or diffusing of the cg regimen. Balling up involved in plunking does not help either. Rather these practices involve oils, sleek buns, conditioning and infrequent combing. They also involve NO GELS because they cause breakage when you either remove them by combing or other form of manipulation. Also the coating of gel does not allow a protective growth coating of things like coconut oil instead to nourish and preserve the hair follicles. Salts, including baking soda salt to tighten curls will erode the strands, particularly if you want to keep them on your head for many years to become the length.
    So what I am saying in essence is that certain curly girl practices are at odds with retaining long hair, particularly for us fragile haired, fine hair ladies.
    Think low manipulation, infrequent combing, infrequent drying/difussing or use of heat, replace hard gels with soothing oils, replace balling up practices with smoothing to minimize hair loss from tangles that come with length.
    Best wishes and HHG (Happy Hair Growing!)

PS My hair crush, Teri LaFlesh IS currently at classic length. BUT, she does NOT use gels. Rather she leaves on soothing conditioners that buffer the fragile strands from breakage. AND she strives for keeping her natural curls elongated as opposed to entangling them more with shrinkage promoting strategies. You can continue to do the things mentioned above as counterindicated. And if you have strong, coarse hair maybe you can get away with it and still retain length. But invariably, if you have fragile, fine hair that possibly does not even have a medula core (like most fine hair) these things will slow your length retention. So for me, if it is a choice between a practice for curls or a practice for long hair... I go with the practice that promotes length retention. Of course, you make your own choices.
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
  • CSaint407CSaint407 Posts: 30Registered Users
    Regular protein treatments have really helped my fine thin hair become stronger allowing it to grow longer and thicker. I also incorporated auyrvedic herbal infused oils to my regimen. Both of these things have tremendously improved my hair condition....strength, elasticity, moisture retention, poroisty and thickness. I have no breakage and much less shedding.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
    3b/a
    Fine Texture
    Medium Density
    Color Treated
    High Porosity
    Medium Long Length
    I forgot to mention that my hair seems somewhat protein sensitive. It´s not really bad, but I´ve done some PT´s and it´s either no difference at all or, if I also use a protein loaded leave in, my hair gets dry, somewhat hard and again - more breakage :(.
    CSaint407: do you use these oils on your scalp or the whole hair?

Thanks dixygirl for your answer. This totally corresponds with what I noticed on my hair. I just felt a bit alone with it. Plunking really gives me knots even on my short new growth. I´ve tried some protective styles but most require way to much manipulation so I stick with the good old bun (ponytail is for fancy days :)).
    I used the LOC method all winter, but I felt like now I could replace the C with a gel. Maybe I have to rethink this.
    Do you trim your ends regularly? I haven´t seen a split end in a long time so I think I´m ok.

• Gilly07Gilly07 Posts: 95Registered Users
    I wish I could do protective styling but it's too short :-(, I am hoping that by doing lots of protein treatments and taking silica tablets, it will start to grow better both in length and quality!
    Gilly07, how long is your hair? Do you use any curl defining or streching products?

• curlyink3bcurlyink3b Posts: 41Registered Users
    I guess my hair is fine. The individual strands are very thin, but there are a ton of them. Right now, it's about armpit to bra strap length when dry. Wet, it's nearly to my waist.

What I'm running into is when I bun mine, it's a pitifully small bun. I'm talking maybe baseball size. But when I pull it up at bedtime in a "doodoo ball" (very messy bun where hair isn't pulled thru scrunchie the last time), it's a huge blob -- bigger than softball size. Am I twisting it too tight for a bun? I've had customers tell me I have "SO much hair!" when I wear it down.

It's frustrating me to the point I almost want to cut it back to chin/shoulder length, but I *really* want to get back to waist length. It was that long when I was about 9, and been short(er) ever since. Hubby likes the length, and we agree it's more flattering. Easy for him to say, when he doesn't have to deal with all this!
    3b/3c, high porosity, fine strands but lots of em!

APL/BSL when dry (bangs are to chin), but WL when wet.

Pineapple and satin pillowcase at night.
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlyink3b wrote: »
    I guess my hair is fine. The individual strands are very thin, but there are a ton of them. Right now, it's about armpit to bra strap length when dry. Wet, it's nearly to my waist.

What I'm running into is when I bun mine, it's a pitifully small bun. I'm talking maybe baseball size. But when I pull it up at bedtime in a "doodoo ball" (very messy bun where hair isn't pulled thru scrunchie the last time), it's a huge blob -- bigger than softball size. Am I twisting it too tight for a bun? I've had customers tell me I have "SO much hair!" when I wear it down.

It's frustrating me to the point I almost want to cut it back to chin/shoulder length, but I *really* want to get back to waist length. It was that long when I was about 9, and been short(er) ever since. Hubby likes the length, and we agree it's more flattering. Easy for him to say, when he doesn't have to deal with all this!

Could you give buns with less twisting a try, such as those involving wrapping and hair sticks? Have you ever searched the long hair community for buns for fine hair? My own hair isn't fine so unfortunately I don't have better specific advice. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file