Concealer for acne scars?

SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm just wondering if any of you who have acne scars can recommend a concealer? I have fairly light skin.
3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
L I: KCKT, gvpcb
Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
Oils: coconut, argan
Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Comments

• EdieEdie Posts: 30Registered Users
    I love Maybelline Fit Me concealer. It comes in lots of different shades and isn't too pricey. Good coverage, too!
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do not have acne scars but I have watched several tutorials on the best concealers and foundations for people with acne and acne scars (it comes in handy). Most are medium to high end products but they cover well and last when set with powdwr. Vichy Dermablend is supposed to offer great coverage. Several of the MAC pan concealers will cover scars. The tattoo artist, Kat Von D has a Lock It Concealer that will cover up numerous things. Lets see... Estee Lauder makes a thick Double Wear Foundation in a blue tube that is awesome when used as a concealer. Their Double Wear Camouflage concealer, blue tube as well, is supposed to be great. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage... Basically anything really thick that can not be used under the eyes.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Some swear by the green concealers that cancel out red but I have never had much luck with those. (I have a cluster of broken veins that keep getting redder as I age. Result of a Big wheel/skate board wreck from my youth. Also get red splotches when I have reactions). You put a regular concealer over them. Idk... Maybe I have not used a good enough brand. They seem to wear off quickly.

When it comes to a good coverage pan concealer I think one should splurge. They last forever and just a little bit goes a long way. It's best to use smaller brushes to pin point the area. Cover, dab to blend, go back over if needed and powder to set. Lisa Eldridge has a great video about covering acne scars and so does Pixiwoo.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me again :) Just thought I would share this. Pretty cool pic.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398390634.148567.jpg

This girl shows which concealers best covered her tattoo. All are supposed to be very good for acne scars as well. The Vichy Dermablend (even though her color is off) and Mac Studio Finish look the best, imo. I have heard wonderful things about Vichy. The whole Dermablend range from foundation to powder is made to cover acne/scars, and numerous other skin conditions that cause pigmentation. I believe you can get it at Ulta. I swear I saw Vichy there. They have different types so that is worth looking into.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398390777.168632.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398390794.548011.jpg

Anywho, here is her post/review...

http://collegetimes.com/2013/07/03/heavy-duty-concealers-5-of-the-best

She mentions that most your drug store concealers are not even 20% pigmented, which is true. You have to look elsewhere for ones that are 40% or more.

I just started using the MAC Studio Finish she reviews and I love it! It works a bit better than the Laura Mercier on me. Lasts longer, though LM is still very good. Expensive as all get out but I have had it for over a year and still have not used half of it. Not kidding when I say a little goes a long way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fifi.G wrote: »

This girl shows which concealers best covered her tattoo. All are supposed to be very good for acne scars as well. The Vichy Dermablend (even though her color is off) and Mac Studio Finish look the best, imo. I have heard wonderful things about Vichy. The whole Dermablend range from foundation to powder is made to cover acne/scars, and numerous other skin conditions that cause pigmentation. I believe you can get it at Ulta. I swear I saw Vichy there. They have different types so that is worth looking into.

Heavy Duty Concealers - 5 of the Best! - CollegeTimes.com

She mentions that most your drug store concealers are not even 20% pigmented, which is true. You have to look elsewhere for ones that are 40% or more.

I just started using the MAC Studio Finish she reviews and I love it! It works a bit better than the Laura Mercier on me. Lasts longer, though LM is still very good. Expensive as all get out but I have had it for over a year and still have not used half of it. Not kidding when I say a little goes a long way.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I've only really used a bb cream, and never bothered to cover things up properly. I figure I should put some effort into it.
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Heavy Duty Concealers - 5 of the Best! - CollegeTimes.com

Wow, thanks for all the info. I've only really used a bb cream, and never bothered to cover things up properly. I figure I should put some effort into it.

You are very welcome!

They do make some drug store concealers that are a bit better now but they really are not as pigmented and you end up going thru them faster. Might as well get a high pigmented one that blends well. You can keep using your BB Cream if you get one that blends & works well with it. Just powder the concealed areas with a small, fluffy, brush. Eyeshadow blending brushes work well for powdering tiny areas and lipstick or small/precision eyeliner brushes work well for concealing spot scars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ClarissasCurlsClarissasCurls Posts: 144Registered Users
    Hard candy glamoflage! At walmart only. Best stuff ever. A little goes a long way. It covers amazing. I have quite a few acne scars. Its helped me for years.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
    ^ I saw that one mentioned last night (well, early this morning) as being one of the most pigmented concealers you can buy in stores. Other than the occasional nail polish and the primer, which is not bad at all for $4, I typically walk on by Hard Candy. It is made and marketed for the younger crowd and is not as kind to women as they mature.

Here is a review on it I came across. I was very surprised by the pigmentation, but it has some cons depending on skin texture and colors available. It's very dry and crumbles on some when they try to blend. It all depends! You want something super creamy and moisturizing for your under eye, and something thicker but not too dry for spots or marks. It may do well on your skin. I am pretty sure I could not go near it.

http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2010/11/hard-candy-glamoflauge-concealer-review-swatches-photos.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have combination skin, and the areas with scarring tend toward dryness, so I'm thinking I'd have to be careful.
    Yeah, you would want to avoid things that might cake. I'm normal in some areas, combo in others but usually swing more toward dry when I get off balance or have something going on. I can't do foundations or concealers that lean toward dry. They have to be able to blend well and not just sit there like a bump on a log ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
    dixygirl wrote: »

Thanks, very interesting. This seems like the next step up from using AHA or other similar resurfacing treatments that can be done at home. I don't have the money to actually treat the areas at present, but it could be an option down the road.
    For now, I bought the Dermablend foundation which I plan to use as a spot concealer over my bb cream. I'll see how that goes for the next little while. :)
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you have a Sephora? They gave me a sample of Benefit Boing for my big huge chest scar. It works very well and stays on through sweat.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Yes, there's one across town. I'll have to check that out.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was going to recommend Boing, too. Dabbing works better than rubbing and it lasts all day. And a little goes a very long way.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    Does the mineral oil in the Boing cause problems for either of you?
    I like Benefit, so far. I have not tried foundations or concealers yet. Just primers and mascara but they seem like a pretty good brand.

I mentioned this video in a previous post and thought I would share. It's Lisa Eldridge's Acne/Blemish cover tutorial. She is working with a girl who has a rather good breakout going, to illustrate how well the products can cover. She actually uses 2 Vichy Dermablend foundations as concealers, just to show how well they cover. That is a good idea with thicker foundations. That's what I ended up doing with the Estee Lauder I mentioned earlier. Works like a charm!

http://youtu.be/Jwngbzv0gbY

I love her videos. She gives helpful tips that work no matter what product you use.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS- She uses a thin layer of a Clinique foundation all over that cancels out red and then the VD to conceal. I have never used that particular Clinique foundation but have heard good things about it. I use their Even Better foundation sometimes and love it. *It's focus is evening out your skin tone.* Light, weightless, and build-able if you want medium coverage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes exactly, the foundation I got is quite thick. It does blend well, but I definitely wouldn't need it as an all over foundation. I also got the Almay clear complexion powder to use over it, so I'll have to see how that goes.
    Hopefully it will work well!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file