Deva cut worth it for wavies?

NamelessElegyNamelessElegy Registered Users Posts: 40
I know I've been posting a ton of questions lately so thanks everyone for being patient with me! :flower: Every time I'm like "oh okay that was very helpful. I think I'm good now!" but then I think of something else that I don't know and would like to know.

So here is my question, are Deva cuts (and I guess this would include other curly cuts if such a thing exists) worth it for wavies? It is my understanding that the cut is different because it cuts each curl individually but if hair is wavy is this still really possibly/effective?

I need to trim my hair soon (okay okay fine I'm probably past due) since I haven't trimmed it in almost a year. I was thinking about having it cut a bit shorter for summer since the length seems to be weighing down the curlier parts of my hair. Plus I have crazy split ends.

As an tangent about needing a trim: I get these weird curls that are... well I couldn't think of a way to describe them so I spent awhile on google images and they're like this that I found posted by another user here a year or 2 ago Its like they have the diameter of about a 3b spiral but don't really look like a 3b spiral so I think its something else? Or its REALLY weighed down or something terribly wrong with it?

I'm recently married and my husband and I just had a string of terrible luck which really took a toll on our now non-existent savings so I don't really want to spend the extra money on a Deva cut if it won't even make a difference. If it will make my hair look better then the extra is worth it to me and I'll just keep dying it myself instead of paying to have that done or something and save the money somewhere else.

TLDR: Are Deva cuts worth it for wavies? And does anyone have any idea what is going on with those weird curl things?!
2a/3a (I think?), very fine, medium density, low porosity. Protein craving.
Low poo: Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo and L'Oreal's EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo (Occasionally)
Rinse out/Leave in: TRESemmé Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner
Stylers: EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System™ Humidity Defying Leave-In Crème (Occasionally), Fructis Style
Curl Scrunch Gel

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Rope curls! I get them occasionally. No idea why, but I don't mind them and don't think it's due to any sort of "damage". Here's another thread about them from last year: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/156741-rope-curls.html
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    You can ask for long layers. Just ask for NO razoring, texturizing, scissor cut only. A "curly cut" is probably not as necessary for a wavy (though I got one and very much liked it). But look under "Salons" up above and see if you can find anyone nearby that got good reviews.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • NamelessElegyNamelessElegy Registered Users Posts: 40
    Rope curls! Ah okay now I know what those things are. I've been trying to puzzle it out since they don't really fit into any of the commonly discussed curl types. At least they're not a sign of damage or something.

Thank you both for the responses. :smile:

Yeah I keep hearing such great things on here about the curly cuts and since I only ever wear my hair curly now I don't know if maybe its worth a try. It took me awhile to completely swear off the straightener and such so for the longest time I never even considered it but now maybe.

Chupie, it helps to know another wavy has tried it and liked the results.
    Low poo: Nature's Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo and L'Oreal's EverSleek Reparative Smoothing Shampoo (Occasionally)
    Stylers: EverSleek Sulfate-Free Smoothing System™ Humidity Defying Leave-In Crème (Occasionally), Fructis Style
    Curl Scrunch Gel
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    a good deva cut with a good deva stylist is well worth it for wavies! wavy is curly hair, just a looser pattern.
    i agree with chupie, if you really can't afford it now, find a good stylist who will give you LONG layers.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    I've never gotten a Deva cut, but I have gotten my hair cut at LCLF, and yes, for me, definitely worth it.

At regular salons I usually get "long layers" and this type of haircut is fine, but what Tiffany did was a much superior cut.

I get rope curls also either in the front or underneath at the nape. They're cute.

If you don't have the money now, just go for long layers (NO THINNING SHEARS) and treat yourself to a curly cut later.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    wavydaze -- tiffany did have deva training, so she most likely follows at least the basic premise of it.

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    If you're strapped for cash and if you've just started out with the CG routine, I'd opt to wait. Your hair will change over the next few months and your "true" curl pattern will emerge (my apologies if you've already been following the routine for a while!).

I still haven't gotten up the courage to spend on a curly cut - although I'm pretty curious what it would do for my multiple curl patterns. For now I'm sticking with a stylist who listens to my hair and is willing to cut it in slightly unconventional ways (the layer at the nape of my neck is straight and has to be cut significantly shorter, for example).

I've spent the last 18 months really focusing on getting my hair healthy, finding out what it likes (and what it doesn't), and finding its optimal length. I love the idea of shorter hair, but it looks more consistent the longer it gets since I have a fairly relaxed curl going on, and in the back it starts farther down my head than in the front. And I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the sections around my ears. I keep hoping that if they get a little longer the wave there will make another turn and start looking reasonable. Plus with summer coming on I have to get it off my neck, LOL!

Maybe in a couple more years I'll get the gumption up to try a curly/wavy cut; for now I'm good. ;)
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I'd say that your hair isn't "just" wavy. That's some nice, tight curling you've got going on. So a Deva cut might be ideal for you, except financially, though there's a lot of variation in prices.

My best advice is to get a copy of Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here), a decent (say $25 or so) pair of hair shears (from Sally's, if you have one in your area, as their prices are good, and they often have sales), and a hand mirror. Read the sections on trimming and cutting your own hair, and watch the video on it on the DVD which comes with the book. It's quite doable, particularly if you take your time. Every subsequent haircut you do is money in the bank.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, Tiffany is a Deva trained stylist, and a particularly good one. I've had one Tiffany cut (about five years ago), and it was the second best Deva cut I've had, the Carlos Flores cut I just had being the best.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • NamelessElegyNamelessElegy Registered Users Posts: 40
    Thanks everyone.

We just moved across the country and I'm so terrified to let some random stylist I've never used before but my hair when most stylist don't really seem to know what to do with wavy/curly hair. The last time I let a random stylist give me an actual haircut and not just "trim the ends an inch" I ended up with something just terrible. "Longer bangs that blend into the rest of my hair" somehow ended up being these little twiggy things less than an inch long that were permanently and always sticking up in the air because they weren't long enough to do anything or go anywhere. I guess MAYBE wet when she cut them it didn't look like they would be THAT short but dry they absolutely were. Edit for clarity: I think what I'm trying to say is I'm hoping someone that works with curly hair a lot won't be as likely to repeat some mistakes stylists have made in the past that really didn't work for my hair.

I looked into Devacuts a little around me since some of you like them for your hair and it looks like they're around $50-$100 depending on which salon you go to... the ones that got amazing reviews on here are the higher end of the price range. So that's doable as long as it grows out decently and I'm not going to have to have it re-cut every month or 2 or something.

The longer part of my hair is still growing out some bad hair "trims" where the stylist got a little scissor happy and started "thinning" because "otherwise if you wear your hair natural you'll look like a poodle" so I was thinking about doing a medium length cut or something to hopefully get rid of most of that. Those waves and curls where never quite the same in some places.
    Curl Scrunch Gel
    make sure you research the stylist you pick. check the recommendations on here, and if there are some, trying pm-ing the person to see how the still feel about cut/stylist.
    a good deva cut can last longer than regular cuts, so it becomes cost-effective.
    let us know how it works out!

rbb wrote: »
    wavydaze -- tiffany did have deva training, so she most likely follows at least the basic premise of it.
    Yes, Tiffany is a Deva trained stylist, and a particularly good one. I've had one Tiffany cut (about five years ago), and it was the second best Deva cut I've had, the Carlos Flores cut I just had being the best.

Oh that's interesting. I didn't think she had Deva training and/or she does it freehand rather than following the Deva blueprint. Makes me think that Deva cuts might be in my future sometime.....

Dry cuts can definitely be great for wavies too, especially if you're a wavy with mixed patterns. My face framing layers are the curliest and so they spring more than the rest of my hair. I had to "train" my regular stylist (not Tiffany) not to cut those pieces so short when getting a "long layers" cut. It's okay now, I think we've reached an understanding, but a dry cut is definitely best because you see what the hair really wants to be doing and cut accordingly.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

wavydaze wrote: »

Oh that's interesting. I didn't think she had Deva training and/or she does it freehand rather than following the Deva blueprint. Makes me think that Deva cuts might be in my future sometime....

LOL! looks like you already had a deva cut! if they are REALLY GOOD at it, it seems like they are just cutting here, there, wherever, or, as carlos flores says, it is like cutting a bonsai plant, you just keep looking and then cutting.

I looked into Devacuts a little around me since some of you like them for your hair and it looks like they're around $50-$100 depending on which salon you go to... the ones that got amazing reviews on here are the higher end of the price range. So that's doable as long as it grows out decently and I'm not going to have to have it re-cut every month or 2 or something.

You definitely do not need to get it recut every 2 months. More like 2x a year. The nice thing about good curly cuts is they grow out really nicely. If you're taking care of your hair and it's not particularly damaged from anything (bleaching, heat etc. etc.) you could easily get your hair trimmed twice a year. That's the track I'm on right now and so far so good.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

• WeathercurlWeathercurl Registered Users Posts: 228
    I got a Deva cut about 9 months ago from a highly rated Deva trained stylist in Jacksonville, Fl. It was an interesting experience but I haven't repeated it yet. I was still growing out a lot of damage and did not want a lot of length taken off so the poor guy was limited to just shaping it a bit. It had a nicer shape but I suspect I would have accomplished a similar effect by getting a good trim from any good stylist. For a major cut involving layers I would look for a Deva stylist. while I'm growing out layers I think I'll stick with a less expensive conventional stylist.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • unepetitepruneunepetiteprune Registered Users Posts: 46
    Definitely worth it. I've only been getting Deva cuts ever since my first one last year. It lasts longer so you need less cuts...it grows out well. I have good second and third day hair now too because even when my curl weakens, my hair still looks great. My hair just seems to have a neater, cleaner appearance with the Deva cuts.
    wavydaze wrote: »

Oh that's interesting. I didn't think she had Deva training and/or she does it freehand rather than following the Deva blueprint. Makes me think that Deva cuts might be in my future sometime....

LOL! looks like you already had a deva cut! if they are REALLY GOOD at it, it seems like they are just cutting here, there, wherever, or, as carlos flores says, it is like cutting a bonsai plant, you just keep looking and then cutting.

Lol, I meant non-Tiffany Deva cuts, since I don't live in her area. I like the bonsai tree comparison!

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list