Product Advice for 2c Low-Po Newbie

sarah56784sarah56784 Posts: 2Registered Users
Hello! I am attempting to embrace my natural curls and would appreciate some guidance. My best estimate for my hair is:

2b/c with some 3a (especially if I cut my hair shorter)
low porosity (no confusion there, I bet if I left the bowl out overnight the hair would still be floating)
medium-high density
fine-normal width

Currently my hair is about an inch below my shoulders and I am planning on cutting off at most 2 inches. Does anyone have any advice on Devacuts?

As for products, I have noticed my hair always feels dry, but can very, very easily be weighed down by heavy products. It seems I'm always trying to find a balance between being strong/moisturizing enough to reduce the straw-like feeling of my hair versus being so dense and heavy my hair just goes completely limp.

I would appreciate any advice on which products to use, especially daily conditioners (rinse-out versus leave-in, or both?), sealing (should I?), and protein usage (do I need it?).

Thanks so much!!!

2b/c with some 3a for fun
Low Porosity, Medium/High Density, Average Width

~A novice in the world of curl~

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The float test is notoriously unreliable. Other then getting a hair analysis, the best way to tell porosity is drying time. LP hair takes a LONG time to dry. For me, doing nothing and not using products, it would be 5-6 hours (and I don't have a lot of hair--either density or length.) With product and using curl towels/diffusing to get a lot of the water out, it's down to 2 or 3 hours.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarah56784sarah56784 Posts: 2Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    The float test is notoriously unreliable. Other then getting a hair analysis, the best way to tell porosity is drying time. LP hair takes a LONG time to dry. For me, doing nothing and not using products, it would be 5-6 hours (and I don't have a lot of hair--either density or length.) With product and using curl towels/diffusing to get a lot of the water out, it's down to 2 or 3 hours.

That sounds like me too! I am notorious for meticulously planning out my day to ensure I don't show up to an important event with wet hair. If if I'm planning on diffusing my hair dry I still need to plan for about one hour to get at least half-way there.

Porosity was one parameter that I was pretty sure of -- everything else might change as I start using the right products. Kathymack, what do you recommend for a daily routine?

2b/c with some 3a for fun
    Low Porosity, Medium/High Density, Average Width

~A novice in the world of curl~
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sarah56784 wrote: »
    kathymack wrote: »

That sounds like me too! I am notorious for meticulously planning out my day to ensure I don't show up to an important event with wet hair. If if I'm planning on diffusing my hair dry I still need to plan for about one hour to get at least half-way there.

Porosity was one parameter that I was pretty sure of -- everything else might change as I start using the right products. Kathymack, what do you recommend for a daily routine?

My hair prefers the more natural products from the "online," boutique type companies. I steer clear of a lot of chemicals, especially polyquats 4, 7 and 10. While I wet, use a rinse out and style every day, I rarely use any one product more then once every five days, it that. My hair loves protein. I frequently use it to "counter balance" richer styling products. This helps keep my hair well moisturized. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. Never have to DT.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FraenzyFraenzy Posts: 48Registered Users
    After trying some different products, my hair now feels best with the Yes to carrots line - Id say it is worth a try (also not that expensive)!
    It does moisture my hair very well and does not weigh it down too much like other products!
    2c/3a curls
    low porosity, medium/high density, medium width (as far as I see now ;) )
    CG since March 2014

Still searching for the best products!

Routine now:

Cleanse/shampoo with YTC Nourishing Shampoo
    Cleanse with SM Yucca Baobab Conditioner/Rainforest Moisture Conditioner
    YTC Pampering Conditioner/Loreal Everpure Moisture RO or LI
    For styling I use any Eco styler gel (do not like the Argan oil that much)
    For DC I mix SM Condi+Honey+Olive Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file