Beginner, need help!

AK89AK89 Posts: 4Registered Users
Hey everyone!

So I'm not a complete beginner to the CG method as I've been using Tresemme Naturals low sulphate shampoo and conditioner, and following other steps such as using leave-in conditioner, all silicone free products, drying hair with a t-shirt and a microfiber head towel, etc. for at least a year. I thought I'd try pretty much everything short of cutting out shampoo 'cause I didn't really like the thought of that! And I've had really good results.

The only thing is I've noticed I've been getting dandruff. I didn't really know what to do about this other than use a good anti dandruff shampoo every few washes and hope that gets rid of it....but it hasn't! And I'm thinking it's probably not doing my curls much good either. Also my hair is really dry, and I can go for AGES without washing it, especially since I've been pregnant. So I googled it and found some stuff that said that co-washing can help get rid of dandruff too! So thought now's probably the time to go full CG and cut out shampoo.

I've done it today for the first time.. I've just got a couple of questions about it. My hair seems quite greasy, even though I spent quite a while making sure it was washed out of my roots...any way around this? Or is it just something that your hair sort of gets used to..?

I read somewhere about using a 'light' conditioner to co-wash and then a more nourishing, moisturising conditioner for actually conditioning...What would a 'light' conditioner be? And are all conditioners suitable for the CG method??

I'd be grateful for any replies!

Comments

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey!

Yeah shampoo of pretty much any kind makes my hair super dry as well so I know how that is.

Is your hair wavy? Curly? Make sure you're rinsing all the way out and using a conditioner designed for cleansing is always a good idea. I know Shea Moisture makes a good one. Also, I've been using the DevaCurl No Poo.

Before you started did you do a clarifying wash? You can do that on the same shower you start vp washing with but it's important you cleanse completely before starting CG.

Also, a good book to check out is The Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. She practically invented the whole idea so there's a whole lotta info.

Hope that helps!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • AK89AK89 Posts: 4Registered Users
    Oh so there's special conditioners designed for cleansing? That's good, I'll have to look that up and see what I can get hold of :)

Well I didn't think I'd have to do the clarifying wash as I've not been using silicones either way and thought that was what that was to get rid of?? If that makes any sense! Basically I've been using Tresemme Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner and all other products have been silicone-free so didn't think I'd have to do a clarifying wash..is that not right?

My hair's kind of a mixture of wavy and curly....I think I'm a 2c..? But I'm no pro so not too sure! ;-)
    Ok! Sounds like you have similar hair to me. I would say a little additional cleansing wouldn't hurt

Also, you should check to see if that brand sneaks in silicones (sometimes they do and it's always good to check!)

Current Products:

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a clarifying shampoo once a month. Even though I'm cg, I clarify to give my curls a build up free start.
    OK :) So how would you suggest I do a bit of additional cleansing..?

I doubt it does, I've not properly read the ingredients but it makes a big deal out of being silicone free... I'll read the ingredients when I can peel myself off the couch and go upstairs! :toothy9:
    What is a good clarifying shampoo to use?
    I used Avalon Organics Extra Moisturizing shampoo because it does have some detergents in it.

Current Products:

• JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    Also, make sure you actually manage to get rid of all the dead skin cells on your scalp, consider trying a gentle scrub sometimes if you find it difficult.

If you don't manage to get rid of it, go see your GP and investigate what it is. There are medical shampoos to treat conditions, but you need to know what the problem is, to not make more harm than good.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file