Older Women & Makeup

BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Since both me and my skin have gotten older, enhancing beauty via makeup seems to be getting harder and harder.

So far, the only thing I'm certain of is that less is more.

What's everyone else doing differently? Any tips and tricks? Gripes and grimaces?

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I switched from bare minerals to It Cosmetics Celebration Illumination Foundation and love love love it. Actually their entire line is a. MAZ. Balls. I actually think my skin has improved.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How much older are we talking? :) I know it's horribly rude to ask a woman her age but it does make a difference in the world of makeup.

I am not 40 yet, but getting closer. I avoid mineral makeup like the plague, and mainly use liquid foundation. I love finding formulas that have good moisture, a nice glow, and look more satin and natural. I do not want to be incredibly matte or shiny. I mainly go for a medium coverage but like light coverage that is build-able and always keep a good full coverage on hand too. If it's a good formula I have no problems. I powder very lightly with translucent loose powder, only where needed. I've not really had too many changes so far. My skin may lean toward dryer a little more than it once did and some powders do not sit on my skin the way they once did.

You are very correct on the less is more, except for eyes. Again, that depends on the age range but I have heard several make up artists say it is important to pay more attention to your eyes as you age. No crazy colors. Neutrals. Mattes and some low level shimmers. Make sure you use eyeliner and mascara. I think that depends on each person though. My mom has some eye issues and says can not wear eyeliner or mascara. She is in her late 60's, uses a very moisturizing foundation, does her eyebrows, and uses Chapstick or light lipstick.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm 68. Changes: my skin has lost melanin and is paler than it used to be. I am having trouble finding a good foundation. So I am looking into higher end foundations and getting samples.

Also my eyes get dry so I am avoiding eyeliner (sob). I have a half lash eyelash curler for the outer lashes (MAC makes it) and a full eyelash curler; I use both whenever I put on mascara. Makes a big difference. My dark circles are so deep! Not totally satisfied with any concealer for them, so far.

However, overall, I am very fortunate and happy with my appearance. Over Passover I had to prove to the ticket seller that I was eligible for senior citizen discount. He made my day :toothy10:

Some tips I read which seem accurate to me: If you dye your hair, try a slightly lighter shade which is more flattering as your skin loses melanin. Avoid sparkles in your makeup - including eyemakeup. Warm coral or warm coral pink is more flattering in lipstick than dark red or brownish tones.

At this age, I don't feel I can get away with very smoky eyes, heavy makeup or unkempt nails.

I highly recommend 15% glycolic face cream which you can get through Amazon. It is like a very mild version of the glycolic acid which a derm would use to peel your face. It doesn't make me peel, but my skin looks fresher.

Great thread- will be very interested to see what others write!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm 41. I don't use foundation much because I really don't need it, but when I do it's liquid. I too avoid mineral foundation like the plague. I find it very aging. My sister, who is younger than me, looks older than me because she piles on the mineral makeup due to redness issues. She won't try a liquid foundation because she doesn't want "chemicals" on her skin. I get that, to a point, but if putting on makeup makes you look older, then why bother? (unless you're 14 trying to look 18, but I digress...)

I do play up my eyes, but not with bright shadows. I wear liner (never black --too aging on me), lash primer, mascara, and a soft eye shadow color that is *slightly* shimmery. I use a little blush and then lipstick. Lipstick is a recent thing for me. But as I have gotten older, I've notice that my lips are faded looking. I find faded looking lips VERY aging. I was in Sephora a couple of weeks ago and their Senior Artist was there. Boy, was I happy to have been there when she was. She was very, very good with color. She picked Nars Flair lipstick for me and then she steered me over to a brand called BITE and tried the color Pepper on me. Wow. What a difference these lipsticks make. The flair is a good daytime color with a punch, and the Pepper is the perfect neutral for me. I also have Smashbox Infrared, but I can't wear that all the time.

I'm also more conscious of my eyebrows now. I get them threaded regularly and I use Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel which I adore. So basically, I really focus on my lips and eye area. That makes all the difference in the world on me.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm 57. I pretty much do what 'they' say older women shouldn't do. : ) I like a bit of shimmer, I still like powder blush and eyeshadow, I wear black waterproof mascara, I wear purple and blue and green eyeliner.
    I make my own tinted moisturizer by mixing moisturizer, jojoba oil, and whatever liquid foundation or cc cream is on sale in a color I like.
    I do wear more richly colored lip color that I used to.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jeepy, I love that you do what "they say older women shouldn't do." More power to you!!!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wonderful tips ladies! Keep 'em coming.

I'm 55. Probably my biggest regret is not being more vigilant with sunscreen. I Love to be outside and have some discoloration as a result of rarely using it ~ couldn't be bothered! :toothy10: Needless to say, I'm bothered now ~ skin discoloration!

I don't mind the few deepening wrinkles, for they're evidence of a Life lived.

What's really frustrating for me regarding make up, is eye makeup. My eyes have decided it's off limits, and I can't wear it without them tearing up, itching, and driving me crazy! (And yes, the ophthalmologist says they're healthy!) This anomaly started off slowly but has gotten so bad that now, I can rarely stand to wear it. I've yet to find any brand that doesn't cause this, no matter how hypoallergenic they claim to be. This makes me so sad, for I've always felt my eyes were my best feature.

I'm thinking that's the reason why I'm so fascinated with my hair right now. For the first time in my Life, I'm working with it. The face may be showing some mileage, but the hair is well on its way to being gorgeous!
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My eyes are very sensitive and I found that using a primer underneath my eye shadow helps a lot. I prefer urban decays primer potion (original or Eden). It might be worth it to give it a shot. (There are still colors I can't wear and only certain mascara I can wear but this certainly helps)
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    That is the same problem my mom has. Her eyes have gotten sensitive plus she has some perfectly natural drooping at the top which has caused her to have more of a hooded eye. That makes any shadow, eyeliner or mascara transfer onto her lid.

I have been dying to do her makeup and give some tips I have heard a whirl. Basically the same thing Perri just said. Primer potion, and Urban Decay is good. I just got 4 samples in a Urban Decay eye shadow palette and each will last for some time. It only takes a tiny dab for each eye. Using that and using a dark eyeshadow as a liner are the 2 best ones I have heard. Keep the line soft and blended. They also make products you can put on top which seal the shadow in place in case of watering or transfer. Or you can wet the brush before dipping it into one corner of the shadow. That helps darken and seal it.

Hopefully you can find something that does not bother you. I don't know if I would worry with it until then but primer does lessen the contact on your skin and can help ease reactions for some.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Have you tried any of Tarte's eye makeup? They are free from synthetic fragrance, mineral oil, parabens and all kind of other stuff. It's supposed to be great for sensitive skin. Heck, even the tinted primers cover the eyelid so that's good enough. You could try a contour color in the crease or outer V if you wanted and leave it at that.

PS- not makeup but may be helpful... I was just reading up on a sample of eye cream I got a few months ago. Several people with very sensitive eyes said it did not bother them at all, and worked really well. Clinique All About the Eyes. It has caffeine and several other ingredients that help in the eye area. Does have a very very light fragrance, but it apparently is not a problem for many.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^I had a horrible reaction to Tartes mascara. It was awesome but my eyes didn't like it. I haven't tried their eye shadow
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Alas, I've tried primers, too. They didn't work, either. It's all somewhat familiar.

Several years ago, when my hair started turning silver, I used so many different hair dyes, it was comical. I even went to salons and had the pros do it. My hair always accepted color beautifully...for a short while. No matter how much money I spent on "for colored hair" products, within a very short period of time, the silver was right back. I finally gave up.

After accepting the seemingly, nature imposed, silver lining of the situation, I started looking for new ways to make my hair look (in my mind - lol) acceptable. Ultimately, it's led me to the CG methodology, and I LOVE my hair for perhaps the first time in my Life! And...

Not too long ago, as if on cue from the universe, my Daughter, who was staring at me with the strangest look on her face, finally blurted out, "I sure hope my hair turns that beautiful, curly, silver when I'm your age." That my friends, was the best validation I've received...EVER!

I don't have a clue as to why I can no longer wear eye makeup without extreme discomfort. What I do know is I am definitely learning acceptance and with any luck at all, maybe some grace! In considering what I want to be like as an "elder," grace is at the top of the list, right next to wisdom. So, I guess for now, I'll just have to practice keeping a sparkle in my eyes to light them up.
    PerriP wrote: »
    ^I had a horrible reaction to Tartes mascara. It was awesome but my eyes didn't like it. I haven't tried their eye shadow

I've seen some of their mascara used in tutorials. It does look nice. I picked up their Amazonian Clay full coverage foundation. I had a coupon to get so much knocked off the price and had heard good things about it. The tester I used in the store was a great match. What I took home is too light and way too thick. It was the same Ivory for pink undertones. I've not actually tried it on my face yet. I would like to see if I could return it. I like keeping one good long wear/full coverage foundation and this has so many good ingredients for the skin but it's not for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's weird how allergies happen out of the blue. When I hit 36 my face reacted horribly to every foundation and cleanser. I had a massive allergic breakout that took months to heal but it eventually went away. I am now back to being able to wear different foundations with no problem what so ever. I think 80% of the time it's temporary, and the other 20% long lasting. Just like how most kids grow out of several food allergies, I think we can grow into (and back out of) some different ones as adults.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I went a while with horribly itchy eyes when I wore eye makeup. Now I seen to be able to wear it again. I don't push the envelope with full eye everyday but a few times a week. However I seem to be getting random itchy bumps all over from due thing else. I don't know what.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,045Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »

Also my eyes get dry so I am avoiding eyeliner (sob).

I was having horrible problems with my contact lenses due to dry eyes. My Ophthalmologist suggested taking fish oil supplements. After taking it for about 3-4 weeks - no more problems! I take 1000-1200 mg a day. Make sure you get "burpless" or "no fishy aftertaste", easy to find at Walmart. ;)

I haven't found an eyeliner that doesn't smear. Instead, I apply dark brown eyeshadow with an angled brush.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Tinted moisturizer has become my friend. Previously it was a Korean BB cream which I purchased too many tubes of, so I will be using that up sporadically.

Also eye primer. I use UDPP by default since that's the one I started with and it works, so I stick with it. I use less eyeshadow because of the primer, and I lightly apply pencil eyeliner. Less is more for me in the way of powder blush too. I can't seem to get cream blush to look natural on me.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • koolkurlkoolkurl Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BeinDeb I feel your pain, I too am allergic to eye make-up now as well. I'm also allergic to tinted moisturizer which for some reason makes my eyes water! In my case, I think my allergies started when I was about 46 years old because of a combination of dry eyes leading to watery eyes and my lower eyelid sagging a bit from age. I have pretty much given up on wearing make-up as I have wasted so much money on product after product that I was allergic to even though they claimed to be "hypoallergenic.". It is a loss to me too but the upside is I can get ready faster to go out now and I don't have to remove my make-up each day which I always dreaded.
    chupie wrote: »
    I went a while with horribly itchy eyes when I wore eye makeup. Now I seen to be able to wear it again. I don't push the envelope with full eye everyday but a few times a week. However I seem to be getting random itchy bumps all over from due thing else. I don't know what.

If the bumps are on your eyelids it could be blepharitis. That is what mine was. I did three months of low dose antibiotic (it acts as an anti inflammatory at that dose) and it hasn't happened consistently in nearly two years.
    For those of you that like to use shadows as a liner (which I love to do, too. Dry, over a pencil or liquid liner, or by wetting the brush)... Have you ever tried the Bare Minerals Shadow, or sometimes called loose powder, Liner? Good Gravy that stuff is nice! 6 or 7 years ago I bought a BM starter kit. It had a tiny foundation, blush, loose powder eyeliner & plumping lip gloss sample. The blush is by far one of my favorites. Uber pigmented! The plumping lip gloss is one of the best I have used and the liner is fantastic. I still have some of it and the blush left. You only needed a tiny amount for each.

*I keep meaning to buy the MAC makeup setting spray (Fix Plus?) but I have forgotten it every single time I go to their counter. I get lost in lipsticks. Anywho, it is supposed to be fantastic when used with shadow liners. Sprits the brush, dip in one corner and go! It makes it heavier and instantly sets & seals it on your lid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,727Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    about to turn 54 here and another one who doesn't follow the "shoulds" and "should nots" for older women!

:D

i still wear smokey eye shadows and shimmer with lots of mascara and liner...
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know, there are so many makeup "rules" out there for mature women. They do work for some people, but certainly not all. It boils down to one's individual look, the condition of one's skin, coloring, as well as level of contrast between hair and skin as well
    I've found that aside from some common-sense kind of stuff, just slavishly following rules can result in looking more invisible than we have to. If one's eyes can take a bolder look go for it, same with lips(depends on how well one's lips have held up - if they've gotten too thin, then too-bright or too dark colors are out). As always, YMMV!:)However, if one's eye area really is very crinkly, then mattes or very low-level pearl finishes are indeed more flattering.
    Personally, I have found a good foundation with a natural finish(neither too glowy nor matte) to be a good friend, since my skin does need a bit of evening out since I have some sun damage(spots) from the days when there really weren't any sunblocks. The MAC StudioSculpt foundation works well for me, along with their Mineralize concealer in a shade lighter. Since my skin is a bit too reactive for traditional anti-aging treatments, I can't go as far as I'd like to get rid of the sun damage. I do however, take care of my skin with products at home with sunblock being an important part and good basic moisturizers(no gimmicks), since I know that makeup in general will only look as good as the skin underneath. A healthy diet and fitness habit helps too for that inner glow of health. I know, a lot of people say, give up the foundation as we age, but that's not necessarily so. There are lots of good ones around - it's a matter of finding one that one's skin likes and a good shade. If it's applied nicely, there's no reason for it to not look natural. For people with less to hide, one of the newer BB creams or a tinted moisturizer is all they need. For lips, I find that I've had to go in the opposite direction than brighter - warm-neutral colors really do suit me. The usual admonition to wear "pink blush" as we age totally doesn't work on me - a warmer, more muted shade that's almost a bronzer does. For eyes, I do bend the rules a little - all-matte just makes me look lifeless - sorry! So I use a mix of pearl, low-level shimmer, and matte(save that last for crease only). For me that combo gives more life and light around the eyes, as well as that MAC concealer(which I didn't start wearing until a year and a half ago). Deep-colored eyeliners look better on me than black or brown. I have my one charcoal green eyeliner that I've worn for a long time now and it works. I apply a rich deep golden emerald green eyeshadow over to set it. Believe it or not, gold eyeshadow works for me on my lids(it's low-level shimmer, the classic MAC Goldmine, a beautiful shade)with either Soft Brown or Texture(both warm browns) blending it out up to crease and above. L'Oreal's Infallibles eyeshadow in Endless Pearl works great as a highlighter and on inner part of the lid closer to nose.
    One of the most important things, whatever makeup look suits one, is application. We've all seen the stereotype of the older woman with scary-looking makeup badly applied - it doesn't have to be that way. If one hasn't already, investing in a good set of brushes(yes, they really do make a big difference)and learn how to use them one way or the other. If one can't get to a makeup artist or very good sales associate at a store, at least watching one of the many YouTube videos is free and helpful. Wayne Goss, Lisa Eldridge, and HotnFlashy have good tutorials for mature women that one can bend whichever way one wants. Well-blended makeup never goes out of style and looks good on everyone. Professional makeup artists would never be without their brushes. When in doubt, blend some more!
    Like I said, I think it all depends on the person. I think the "less is more" can apply to every person, no matter the age, when it comes to foundation. I've never heard anyone tell women to not wear foundation as they age, and if they are they need to go back to school. There are numerous foundations made for any and every skin type and texture you can think of. Acne prone, mature, dry, oily, uneven skin tone, etc... Foundations have grown and expanded ten fold from the days of a couple formulas. No one needs to cake on a mask of the stuff. I just walked by a woman in her 80's with 3 full layers of heavy foundation on. Along with a splattered bright red blush. Bless her heart (said to cancel out the rude)... it was not pretty, but the same thing would not be pretty on an 18 year old either.

I can see how several of the eye rules (no or low shimmer, no bright blues/greens/purples, etc) would be perfect for many. My mom can hardly pull off eye shadow at all thanks to her lids and dark bold colors or high shimmer would be a huge NO! on her. She would have glitter in her eyeballs and blue under them BUT she has never been a bright, bold or shimmery eye makeup person. Neutrals are her comfort zone. What works for some does not work for all. It depends on how you age and what you like.

That and some of the rules are old as the hills, just like the clothing rules. I do not think some realize the generations that are 40+ came up with several of the clothing trends they are now telling them to avoid. They have been wearing some of the items all their life. It's perfectly natural. What are you supposed to do, go to June Cleaver dresses?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file