Banana Oatmeal Hair Mask

Still_NyaStill_Nya Posts: 27Registered Users
Okay... so, I'm experimenting with homemade treatments. I came across this recipe at: EliteBeauty13: Banana Oatmeal Hair Mask

I substituted the real banana with baby food and I decided to put the oatmeal in a food processor in order for the mixture to be more like a paste. The results were mixed:

Pros: my hair was silky and soft, my curls were moisturized and defined
Cons: getting that darn oatmeal out!--other than that I really liked it! Maybe I shouldn't have skipped the food processor. :-|

Has anyone else tried this recipe or a similar one? If so how did you deal with the oatmeal?
3B--low porosity--high density--fine/medium
PT: Hello Hydration/coconut oil, Poo: Organix, Condish: Jane Carter, Leave-In: As I Am, CW: Shea Radiance, DT: homemade, Sealant: avocado/jojoba oil, mango butter, Styler: KCCC, Shea Moisture

Comments

• klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Curl Connoisseur Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have tried banana but not oatmeal... My skin really likes oatmeal though! :)
    Personally I didn't see enough results with using banana to keep it up, especially if I didn't process it enough and there was banana bits to deal with... I had the same problem that you had with the oatmeal! Thanks for sharing, it's always good to hear about real life results from the various recipes out there :)
    3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

• Still_NyaStill_Nya Posts: 27Registered Users
    My mom turned me on to oatmeal for the skin. I liked it, messy but the same goes for use in the hair, lol. She mixed hers with egg and honey. My mom has always had great skin... that's probably why.

The banana baby food worked great if you were thinking about trying the recipe again. Those banana chunks was the reason I opted for the baby food. And I found something very interesting today on youtube: colloidal oatmeal.

It's oatmeal that has been grinded into a fine powder, so I'm guessing it will rinse out easier. I'm going to try it the next time I use this recipe. Just have to figure out where to buy it. :toothy10:
    3B--low porosity--high density--fine/medium
    PT: Hello Hydration/coconut oil, Poo: Organix, Condish: Jane Carter, Leave-In: As I Am, CW: Shea Radiance, DT: homemade, Sealant: avocado/jojoba oil, mango butter, Styler: KCCC, Shea Moisture

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file