Girls with Curls by Dippity-Do - Has anyone tried this line?

nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
I was in Target (Canada) yesterday and saw this product line in the hair care section.

dippity-do | Girls with Curls

It's a complete hair system; shampoo, conditioner, gel, styling cream, and deep condish.

I was in a rush and the hair aisle was kind of busy, so I didn't get to browse the ingredient lists fully, but the line is very reasonably priced! $4-7 per product.

It reminded me a lot of Miss Jessie's for some reason.

Has anyone used these? I'm currently on a no-buy until I use up all the stuff I bought during my last hair binge last month.
Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've only seen their sports gel, I didn't know they had a curls line. I'm curious to see if anyone's used this too.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    After a bit of searching online, I figured out that these were only released this past march. I couldn't find any ingredients lists though.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting. No ingredient lists anywhere. They mention paraben free but not silcones so I suspect they may have some, whether soluble or not can't tell without an ingredient list. Kind of a cool little one brand line up. I haven't seen it yet.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Oh I see it may be Canada only. You'll have to check the ingredients and let us know.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I might be in Walmart tomorrow, and if I see them I'll check the ingredients for sure. (Even though I'm not supposed to be buying any products.)
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,344Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know anything about the line. but, (and here i am dating myself!) when i was a young woman there was a gel-type product that came in a jar and was used to 'set' hair with. i guess it was a forerunner of gel. this is back in the day when hair products were limited to shampoo, 'creme rinse,' and hair spray! LOL! wonder if it is the same company or a take-off on the name?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    I think it is the same company.
    It's the same company. They've been around for ages.
    Ok, I have pictures. Let me know if you can't read these properly, and I'll post one from a different angle. To summarize, the shampoo has no sulfates, but some pretty strong surfactants. The conditioner has Silicones, which is alright if you're using the shampoo from this line or another that can remove them. The gel has no cones, and contains wheat protein which I know is a problem for some. They were sold out of the curl cream and deep treatment. I apologize profusely if these are too big or something, my picture posting skills leave much to be desired. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398127012.983046.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398127095.764949.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398127162.492234.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398127285.058188.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1398127332.672175.jpg
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Wow, thanks for doing that! :)
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

Must be pretty popular!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,653Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I used Dippity Do back in the day. Dippity Do and tape - that's how pincurls were made. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • aspenaspen Posts: 154Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw this line the other day and picked up the Curl Creme! I was going to make a thread but kept forgetting, but here is my review.

---
    It worked great the first time I used it, but the second time it dried my hair out insanely badly! My hair NEVER tangles but two days with that mess and I was combing for a good ten minutes in the shower, and it took days from my hair to recover.

My hair is mixed 2c/3a/3b, thick with colour damaged high-porosity ends.

My girlfriend on the other hand, has very thick 2C hair, colour treated but not damaged hair that gets greasy and weighed down easily and the Curl Creme is her new HG product! It gave her lots of bounce, shine and definition and seemed to suck a lot of the unnecessary moisture out of her hair that makes it go limp as the day goes on.

We both noticed it flaked a little bit.

The price tag is AMAZING, the packaging is cute and the smell is nice. I would stay away from this stuff if your hair is high-porosity or damaged but if you're low-porosity or have issues with limp hair try it out!
    3A-3B / Medium / High Density / Low Porosity
    Modified CG
    Low poo: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine
    Conditioner: Curls Unleashed NB
    Leave in: Creme of Natura Argan Oil Strengthen & Shine
    Styling Product: Curl Keeper/ Curly Solutions gel
    I used Dippity Do back in the day. Dippity Do and tape - that's how pincurls were made. : )

Tape? Now I'm curious.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,653Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    You would put Dippity Do on your hair and twirl sections into pincurls and hold them down with this tape, then sit under the dryer. You could also use it to hold down your bangs. Amazon.com: 3M Scotch 168 Hair Set Tape - 1/2 in Width - 01067 [PRICE is per ROLL]: Beauty

I had no idea they still made it!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Whoa! I remember that as well!! Wasn't it blue though? I didn't use it for pincurls, but rather for taming...I'd put my hair in a pony tail, comb it through my bangs, then the tape to hold them down to stop the curl!
    You would put Dippity Do on your hair and twirl sections into pincurls and hold them down with this tape, then sit under the dryer. You could also use it to hold down your bangs. Amazon.com: 3M Scotch 168 Hair Set Tape - 1/2 in Width - 01067 [PRICE is per ROLL]: Beauty

I had no idea they still made it!

Wow, I've never seen that before. :)
  • okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Dippity Doo in the jar! That was all there was I think until DEP came out!
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
    My awesome boyfriend who was with me looking at the products bought me the curl shaping jelly. I like it a lot, it helps with clumping and definition, and really retains the shape of the hair while drying.
    I'm halfway through my IC Fantasia gel and I'm not impressed. Maybe in a few weeks, I'll pick up some of the shaping gelly.

I picked up the gel yesterday!

I co-washed and detangled today and applied my usual leave-in (Curls Unleashed) and some anti-frizz Garnier serum. After having my hair in my t-shirt turban to dry for a few minutes, I applied some of the gel in sections.

It's nice! I'm about an hour and a half post-shower and my hair is almost dry (this is normal) and my curls are looking NIIIICE. They are bouncy and shiny with a lot of definition. There is some frizz, but that's normal for me, and I don't care about frizz as long as my curls are still defined.

I'll see what my hair looks 6 hours from now, though.

I picked up the gel yesterday!

I co-washed and detangled today and applied my usual leave-in (Curls Unleashed) and some anti-frizz Garnier serum. After having my hair in my t-shirt turban to dry for a few minutes, I applied some of the gel in sections.

It's nice! I'm about an hour and a half post-shower and my hair is almost dry (this is normal) and my curls are looking NIIIICE. They are bouncy and shiny with a lot of definition. There is some frizz, but that's normal for me, and I don't care about frizz as long as my curls are still defined.

I'll see what my hair looks 6 hours from now, though.

I still like this gely. It's particularly good at smoothing braids and updos, and for flyaways on dry hair.
  • Artemis68Artemis68 Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hey all,

I think this thread is a little old, but I came across it because I bought the curl shampoo (no surfaces) and conditioner from this line. I'm very new to this CG thing and haven't figured all the ingredients I'm supposed to be looking for...so here I am now looking more closely and the conditioner has got dimethicone in it. From what I can gather not the water soluble kind.

:mad: makes me sad as I was pretty excited to be able to find appropriate products here in Canada.
    That sucks, Artemis68. I don't follow the CG method but I know how frustrating it is to find suitable products.

Anyway, since I last posted in May, I have re-purchased the gel three or four times (I think my curly haired brothers sneak some product because it gets used up very quickly). I was using the gel with Tresemme Naturals as my co-wash, Curls Unleashed No Boundaries Leave-in, and a Garnier Fructus argan oil silicone-based anti-frizz serum. It was good but I had to remove the serum from my daily rotation due to build-up.

Then one day, in early August, I decided to re-visit my Naturally Silk Elements Curling Cream Gel. I had used it before in May but couldn't get it to work well for me. On a whim, I decided to add it to my wash and go rotation.

Tresemme condish --> Curls Unleashed leave-in --> hair in microfibre towel turban for 5-10 minutes --> Naturally Silk Elements cream --> Girls with Curls gel --> Jojoba oil for sealing.

My hair was popping. I had the best wash and go's I've had in ages! Super defined but not crunchy or flat and great long-lasting shine (but not the wet look, which I hate).

I ran out of the Naturally Silk Elements cream and since it is pricey ($20ish from Sally), I decided to buy the Girls with Curls Curl Defining Cream. The texture is almost identical to the Naturally Silk Elements cream, so I thought it would be a cheaper alternative (only $6-7 at Target). I've been using the Girls with Curls cream all week as a part of my rotation and I dislike it. I don't know if it's the changing weather (less humidity and more dryness) but since I made the switch to this product, my hair has been looking very frizzy and my hair just feels yucky. I think I will suck it up and go buy that Naturally Silk Elements cream even though it's pricier than what I would like to spend on a tub of product that will only last 1.5 months.

I also tried the deep conditioner from this line and I was unimpressed. It was NOT a DC for me. Very little slip and didn't provide any extra moisture. It was a good rinse-out conditioner, though, so I used it as that.

• KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    It's available at Walmart in Canada. Going to try the defining cream.
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    I've been curious about this line for a while, ever since I saw someone on IG post a review about one of the products and they loved it! Then again you can't be too sure about those reviews as I'm sure some of them are getting paid to advertise for these companies. Anywho, I can't find it locally so I was going to order it online but the shipping and handling is outrageous.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Did you check Walmart? Both the Walmarts near me definitely have it. it's with the Curls Unleashed stuff at the end of an aisle, not with the Tresume and Pantene and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    Yea, it's not at my Walmart...yet. However, I did find the Curls line at my Walmart recently which they didn't have before so that's exciting. I usually have to drive a little further to Target to get most of my hair products.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Really? Curls, not Curls Unleashed right? lol These lines all sound too similar. Anyway I'll have to find out if there's any near me, not that I need any more stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file