Do you cut your own curls???

livingbcof316livingbcof316 Registered Users Posts: 21
I've been cutting and trimming my own hair since I started going CG (don't really trust salons after reading some of the stories on here, and can't really afford a good curly one), and following youtube vids usually do cuts that were intended for straight hair as that's all I've been able to find. I usually straighten my hair before cutting so that I can see what I'm doing, just cutting some simple layers.

Would love to know how I can be doing this better! Sooo... those of you who cut your own curls... do you have any fave how-to videos? Tips or thoughts? How do you cut your curls?

Comments

• JimipeJimipe Registered Users Posts: 276
    I use cut my own hair. I do it curly as I've been wearing it curly every day now for over 7 months and my hair hates straightening so getting it even when it's curly is more important than even when it's straight. My curls are also getting more and more consistent, they curl in the same way etc, which is also quite crucial.

I cut my hair in several ways:
    * Dusting of frayed ends and fairy knots
    * using a loose pony tail in different places to cut an even bottom layer and trim overall
    * I then go free hand, layer by layer and trim to get my hair layered in the way I want it. This take time and as my hair is so long I need to wash it and style it to be able to see the result, it usually changes a lot, so, I try to be very careful and cut it more times rather than cut a lot.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I have cut my hair using Lorraine Massey's method, as explained and illustrated in Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here), and demonstrated on the video segment on the accompanying DVD. I've really loved the results, but I take my time, so I don't botch it, and it can take a fair amount of time.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    I cut my own hair by pulling it straight up and trimming it. I do this when it's wet. It gives me nice layers. After I've styled it and its dry I will go back and trim individual curls that need it.
  • anonymous_166474anonymous_166474 Registered Users Posts: 70 Curl Neophyte
    I cut my own hair every 6 to 7 months and in long layers. I only wear it curly now as I've decided never to straighten it again. It is finally curly and healthy. Why damage it with heat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kosher Curls
    mostly 3b curls
    Low Porosity
    fine, medium, coarse
    medium to high density
    Products: Giovanni direct leave in and olive or argan oil eco styler.

LONG: 10"+ (armpit to waist length)
  • livingbcof316livingbcof316 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Thanks so much, all!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file