Overwhelmed Newbie (long, sorry)

HoneybeeovalleyHoneybeeovalley Posts: 11Registered Users
Hi, everyone. I am new here. Someone on Facebook mentioned something called the "curly girl" method. I had no idea what that was, but I've been hating my curly hair and I was intrigued so here I am! Oh! And I also have horrible dandruff even right after washing! As in hair is till wet and there dandruff...SO FRUSTRATING!

Not sure on the type yet, It looks kinda like 2A when I brush it out, which is what I was doing sadly, but it gets much curlier, maybe a 3A in places, when I don't. Low porosity, low density, and very fine.

I had it in a pixie cut (to remove any chance of curling whatsoever) for the past while, which I did love, but I decided to grow it long again. It's to about my shoulder blades in the back. A little shorter in the front, but it needs a good cut/style desperately. Might see if I can go to a real stylist that knows how to do curly hair. Never had that before.

So I tried looking for some good products. Oddly I found one that was marked sulfate free that still had a sulfate in it :roll: But I found the Shea Moisture line. So today I used the shampoo and the conditioner, finger combed out, then used the hair milk as a leave in. Then I plopped for about 20 minutes (places to go, people to see ;) )

I was loving the curl, but now that it's completely dry a couple of things have happened.

One is that it looks so greasy! I'm guessing the products weren't the right ones for my hairtype since I bought them after learning about sulfates and silicones, but before learning there were hair types. It's not like I'm at no-poo/co washing yet since today is my first wash. Any clues what might be happening here?

The second thing that happened after plopping, it was all nice and curly, but after a while of being "right side down" lol, the curl got a little less curly. Could this also be due to using the wrong products for my hair type?

I'm tempted to include a photo for you all to help me figure out what curl type I have, but I don't have a good one right now...maybe I'll get one and comment later. ;)

Anyways, I'm excited about learning how to manage my curls, but overwhelmed at all the different products and techniques! One thing I've noticed is that there doesn't appear to be any dandruff after using Shea Moisture's shampoo and conditioner...I assume that's because it is all laden with coconut oil. Hooray for that!
Began my CG journey 4/18/14
2B-3A/ low porosity/ f / i (ponytail about an inch in diameter)

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well curl/wave loss throughout the day is pretty common for us wavies. However, if you have some 3a in there you my have more curl than you know. For looking greasy, that is usually just too much of whatever you used. If you would like to see how I apply and how much I apply of some things I have several wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ I'd love it if you commented on any you watch and subscribe. Also if you think of anything you'd like to see a video on I'd be glad to do that.

Did you do one last sulfate shampoo?

Also, be sure to rinse out what you use to wash and condition well.

Sometimes and in higher dewpoints sometimes we wavies don't need a leave in, especially if you used a particularly rich conditioner. Which SM line are you using? I personally have trouble with the milk but not their smoothie *but I use a teeensy bit*. Other good leave ins are some light conditioners like Suave Naturals - my favorite there is V05 Kiwi Lime.

This takes practice too. If you look at my transition vid you'll see, I had some fairly messy looking hair int he beginning. Practice,experimenting and patience will yield better results! I'm such a visual person I need videos. I was sad to find very few videos for looser wavies. That's why i started making some.

Maybe read around some more and watch some vids and then come back and ask some more questions. I hope this gets you started in the right direction!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • HoneybeeovalleyHoneybeeovalley Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks! I look forward to watching your vids. I just wanted to answer some questions. I use the SM for thick curls because it was one of two choices I found in the store at the time. I have the shampoo, conditioner, milk and smoothie, but I read that the milk was lighter than the smoothie so I used that as my leave in. I used the shampoo and the conditioner in the shower. Before I knew better I used the Moroccan Oil line which is a sulfate shampoo and a silicone conditioner. None of those products are very watery, which I recently read was what I should be using for my fine, low density, low porosity hair.

The curl loss wasn't "throughout the day" though, it was about an hour or two after I was done. And I am definitely not liking the greasy look.

What should I do tomorrow to get rid of it? I would like to be moderately presentable. (Today was a day off, so it didn't matter much.)
    Thanks! I look forward to watching your vids. I just wanted to answer some questions. I use the SM for thick curls because it was one of two choices I found in the store at the time. I have the shampoo, conditioner, milk and smoothie, but I read that the milk was lighter than the smoothie so I used that as my leave in. I used the shampoo and the conditioner in the shower. Before I knew better I used the Moroccan Oil line which is a sulfate shampoo and a silicone conditioner. None of those products are very watery, which I recently read was what I should be using for my fine, low density, low porosity hair.

The curl loss wasn't "throughout the day" though, it was about an hour or two after I was done. And I am definitely not liking the greasy look.

What should I do tomorrow to get rid of it? I would like to be moderately presentable. (Today was a day off, so it didn't matter much.)

Oh I would just wash. Sometimes that's what you have to do if you over product. Frankly I was a good 3 months in before I didn't at least rinse out completely thoroughly. Some wavies have to completely at least water wash every day. How much did you use of the milk? Whatever you used, half it. Also do you have any gels? You are going to need a gel over any leave in or curl creme type thing you use. And there are good mousses too. Deva Frizz Free foam is great for wavies. There are sooo many variations. I know when I started I just kept going to Ulta and trying things and taking them back. lol. Seriously one of the best things out there is flax seed gel. You can just make that even at home. You have to keep it in the fridge and it will probably only be good about 2 weeks unless you buy preservatives to put in it. But it's awesome. There are recipes and vids on youtube on how to make it. If you are working with a budget I suggest LA Looks gel from the Dollar General which is very popular, again use sparingly. If you have an Ulta you might want to try a trial size of the Deva Ultra light defining gel. Jessicurl products are great. Spiralicious is great for wavies, even by itself.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with what you have to start with, just use way. less. milk or smoothie. ANd you should have a gel to play with to seal it in and give some hold. None of what you have has hold.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Like I said, I just bought the only product I could find for curly hair that didn't have sulfates/silicones in it. I also followed the directions on the bottle as to when and how to apply. Maybe I did use too much of it. Is there a general rule as to what products to use, like first shampoo, then conditioner, then leave in, then gel (for example) or what each product does for you so I can determine whether I need it at all for my hairtype?
    Usuaually that's the order everyone follows. Now how wet or dry it is seems to be a very individual preference.
    Had to do a rinse out this am because it was so greasy. added a tiny bit of smoothie. Seems less greasy with that, but still not keeping the curl for very long. It's weird, it appears to be a 2b from the scalp to about 3/4 of the way down where it turns into about a 3a. And the description of the texture of 3a sounds the most like mine. Not course like 2c and pretty easy to straighten.
    I need to find a hairstyle I like that will go with my type. Not fond of the wavy all the way down with curlies puffballs at the end lol. But it's only been two days, too, so it might change.

I was in a big rush today so still no gel. I want to make the flax seed gel...I love natural products.

Next I need to figure out what kinds of products to use for low porosity. It's really low. I was surprised when I did the tests because I would describe my hair as never having enough to drink. It seems like when I get it wet it slurps up the water/air dries really fast and looks dry as a bone immediately. Hairdressers have to keep rewetting when they cut. A few have commented on it, but they never mentioned anything about porosity. I didn't use much of any products before starting this and always air dried so not much damage from that. Had it dyed a couple of colors a few years ago, but that has long since grown out.

I hate having to buy different products than I have because the stuff is expensive!
    How did you test it. Do you dye?
    Test what? The porosity? You put a couple of strands of hair in a bowl of water. If they sink after a few minutes, they are high porosity, float=low porosity (which mine did) and apparently if they sink slowly they are medium porosity.

I dyed a couple of times a few years ago, but no, I don't do it regularly and I almost never used any products or heat styling. But I wasn't using any products that were GOOD for curly hair, either, and I was using sulfates and silicones in my shampoo/conditioner.

I tried to put a couple of pics in here that I took tonight, but I guess I haven't posted enough times to be allowed to do that yet.
    You should be able to post pics I think. No hear and no dye you are probably more normal. The water test really doesn't work. But you are most likely not very porous at least!
    I think my porosity (or lack thereof) is more a genetic thing. I've never been big into products, heat styling or dyeing and I've always had hair that dries insanely quickly needing lots of rewetting during haircuts, etc.. I'm going on the descriptions of the different porosities coupled with the float test and the fact that I don't feel any bumps on the shaft when running up from tip to root. And the fact that using the conditioner and the leave in the other day made my hair look greasy. Just lots of clues pointing in that direction. I'm hoping to get a Deva Cut next month or so. Found someone close to me in the "find a stylist" section that had a lot of really good reviews of her with regards to cutting curly hair Deva Cut style. I just need a good shape. Meanwhile maybe she can give me some advice after actually looking at my hair. And I will keep experimenting with products and techniques I learn here.

20140418_212054_zpsjz9rw8np.jpg

20140418_212111_zpsi892gs5c.jpg
    Oo nice!! You should LOVE a Deva cut!
    Thanks! Is that just because Deva Cuts are awesome or because of my hair type? I am excited. I don't even want to wait, but I'm about to have surgery on my lower back and won't be able to sit in a chair for about a month so I'll have to wait until I can.
    You have great wave. I can't help but think you'll get more bounce with a Deva cut. I have barely any wave and it still helped!
    Thanks! That was second day, too! Do you see how it's like a 2B at the top and then some of what I think is more of a 3A closer to the bottom? Plus in the descriptions of each type the 3A sounds more like mine. Easily straightened (I assume that means with a round brush/hair dryer or straightening iron, all of which work well to straighten my hair if I was going for that.) Very affected by climate (it's really humid here (southeastern Massachusetts) sidewalk chalk sized (maybe a little smaller in diameter but not much) when they happen at the bottom.

Found a store near me that sells all the Deva products. Didn't stick around long (had my entire family, including the boys, in tow.) but I think they probably sell a lot of other products for curly hair too. The place is called Cost Cutters, not sure if that's a national chain, but judging by the cost of the Deva stuff, they didn't "cut" it much. ;) But at least I know where I can get stuff besides the internet when I'm in an instant gratification mood.

I'm working on 3rd day hair. It's getting a little frizzy now (without doing much this morning, but wet and scrunch) and the 2B parts are much straighter. Would this be what the gel would help with? I'm SUCH a late bloomer when it comes to hair/makeup. I'm 37 and I pretty much know nothing. I wouldn't say I was a tomboy as a teen (I still liked girly stuff) but I was the older sister with only a brother and a working mother. I didn't have many beauty role models and there was no internet/youtube to learn from LOL. And it just wasn't a priority for me back then.

I pretty much NEVER had a hairstyle I really liked when I had more than a pixie cut, especially when I went to a hair dresser and tried to work WITH my curls and not against them. They always turned out triangle-y and crunchy (which I know you don't mind, but I'm like most people in that respect. Not a fan.) I hope this Deva thing works out! I'm psyched mostly because of the local stylist mentioned on here that has a bunch of great reviews regarding her Deva capabilities. Otherwise I'd be terrified...or at least not very hopeful.

ETA: Forgot to mention, your hair is cute!
    Thanks! That was second day, too! Do you see how it's like a 2B at the top and then some of what I think is more of a 3A closer to the bottom? Plus in the descriptions of each type the 3A sounds more like mine. Easily straightened (I assume that means with a round brush/hair dryer or straightening iron, all of which work well to straighten my hair if I was going for that.) Very affected by climate (it's really humid here (southeastern Massachusetts) sidewalk chalk sized (maybe a little smaller in diameter but not much) when they happen at the bottom.

Found a store near me that sells all the Deva products. Didn't stick around long (had my entire family, including the boys, in tow.) but I think they probably sell a lot of other products for curly hair too. The place is called Cost Cutters, not sure if that's a national chain, but judging by the cost of the Deva stuff, they didn't "cut" it much. ;) But at least I know where I can get stuff besides the internet when I'm in an instant gratification mood.

I'm working on 3rd day hair. It's getting a little frizzy now (without doing much this morning, but wet and scrunch) and the 2B parts are much straighter. Would this be what the gel would help with? I'm SUCH a late bloomer when it comes to hair/makeup. I'm 37 and I pretty much know nothing. I wouldn't say I was a tomboy as a teen (I still liked girly stuff) but I was the older sister with only a brother and a working mother. I didn't have many beauty role models and there was no internet/youtube to learn from LOL. And it just wasn't a priority for me back then.

I pretty much NEVER had a hairstyle I really liked when I had more than a pixie cut, especially when I went to a hair dresser and tried to work WITH my curls and not against them. They always turned out triangle-y and crunchy (which I know you don't mind, but I'm like most people in that respect. Not a fan.) I hope this Deva thing works out! I'm psyched mostly because of the local stylist mentioned on here that has a bunch of great reviews regarding her Deva capabilities. Otherwise I'd be terrified...or at least not very hopeful.

ETA: Forgot to mention, your hair is cute!

Very surprised Cost Cutters has Deva stuff!
    Yup! Right when I walked in the door. A full shelf. Looked like pretty much everything they make. Even a very expensive hair dryer with diffuser kit...I'll skip that one, thankyouverymuch. ;)
    I love my Deva dryer.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    The SM line is too heavy for low porosity hair, if you have low-po hair.

The floaty test doesn't really work. The only way to know for sure is to get a microscopy test (look up Goosefootprints on Etsy).

Otherwise, drying time and reaction to products is the only way you'll know your porosity. Long drying time = low porosity. I"m low po and it usually takes at least 6 hours to fully dry my hair, sometimes up to 10 hours depending on products I add. Hope this helps.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    Really? That's interesting. Definitely the opposite of my hair as far as drying time, but I am starting to see the SM as heavy. Wonder what they are looking for under the microscope to test porosity. Are they looking at how open the cuticle is? I wonder if I can see it on our family microscope (we're homeschoolers). Might also be an interesting science lesson lol.
  • dixygirldixygirl Posts: 279Banned Users
    Your hair is beautiful. I really do not see you needing a lot of products of any sort. I see you investing in a sulfate free shampoo or one of the cleansing conditioners and simply applying aloe vera juice or gel to your hair. I can see you then drying it in a t shirt with the method called plopping. You literally just kind of let it get balled up in the shirt to dry
    How-to Curly Hair: Hair Plopping using a T-shirt - YouTube
    Then you can scrunch the hair dry with a difuser. This is the best video I could find on it
    How I Scrunch My Hair! - YouTube
    what I used to do with clients with straighter hair was to cup the ends of few strands in the palm of my hand and ball it up inch by inch in my hand as I raise my hand up to the scalp. I would use my thumb to push each inch into my palm randomly as I go up the strand. Ultimately the whole strand would be balled up in my hand from ends to roots. Then I would hold the blow dryer on that section of hair with hot air for up to a minute blasting it with heat intermittently. With the hair still balled up in my one palm, screening it with my fingers slightly, I would change the air to cool and blow the cool air on the balled up hair in my hand for abour 30 seconds. Then I would remove the blowdryer from that section and SLOWLY let those strands of hair unwind out of my palm with a new faux curl. I would go over the whole head treating sections like this until the hair was dry. And yes this would be done with the head upside down. I could not find a decent video of hair scrunching at all online. The folk just balled up the hair a little for a fraction of a second. Some looked more like they were hitting the hair instead of actually doing anything. None of the videos showed cooling the hair off inside the balled up hand before releasing it. So the techniques on yt are pathetic.
    Try to follow what I described above and with just a basic cleansing conditioner , some aloe vera gel, a blowdryer with diffuser, and your hands, you can scrunch plunk/plop your hair w/ tshirt and beautifully scrunch it.

How small your curls look depend strictly on how small and how well you ball it up in your hand as well as how well you heat and cool set that pattern in each section with the blowdryer. With this technique, you can take stick straight hair and make it look like 3a or even 3b hair. You can also go back over scrunched sections and ball them up tighter to make the faux pattern even smaller. As I go up the strand cupping the hair, I gather the hair in a back and forth pattern forcing it to wave in my hair. Even stick straight hair can be cupped in a scrunched up wave that YOU FORM in your palm. HOLD it there for about a minute of heat. Hit it with heat balling it up tighter. Take the heat off but keep it squeezed in your palm. Hit it with heat again and take the heat off over and over again. Each time squeezing it tighter in your palm after you take the heat off. Finally hit it w/ cool air before you FINALLY, slowly release that section from your hand. So you take your time on each section of hair . Don't do the pathetic fraction of a second "technique" that the lazy folk do on youtube.
    You really don't even have to diffuse/scrunch dry your hair at all! That is just if you want to create really tight curls and make it really big. You can just dry it completely balled up on top of your head in a tshirt (plunk/ plop or whatever you call it) with just aloe vera gel on it and call it a day.Balling it up in the shirt makes the "curls" tighten more depending on how much you ball it up.
    Good luck and let me know how it works for you
    3b/c, 2c at nape, fine, norm-hi porosity, low density, biracial, BSL
    Conditioner:Kanechom, Silicon Mix. Hello Hydration. ApHogee 2min
    Co-Wash: $ store cond
    Prepoo: combinations of:yogurt, liquid aminos, honey,mustard oil, egg,red palm oil,coconut milk
    Leave in Products: Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla LI, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, or mustard oil
    Naturally curly color treated
    Fan of www.tightlycurly.com "Curly Like Me"
    Thanks! I have the Shea Moisture shampoo for thick curly, along with the conditioner, the milk and the smoothie. I have been using the shampoo and the conditioner in the shower. Then either the milk or the smoothie to leave in. I've tried to use very small amounts of the leave in, but it still looks greasy once dry. Next time I'll try gel only.

Another question: Is the Shea Moisture shampoo considered low poo then? And no poo would be just using the conditioner? Either way I'm loving them because I used to have lots of dandruff even right after showering and now I don't. So I'll probably keep doing at least that much even if I drop the leave in.
  • CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    FWIW, I thought I would tell you my routine and a little of what I have learned in the last few months. I have 3a hair and it is like yours, it curls more at the ends, the longer it gets the more ringlets I have. Right now it is shorter than I like but Im growing it out a little (lengthwise as well as the gray). I actually have been wearing my hair curly since the 80's, I am a lot older than you. But I had no idea there was a curly girl method, at that time I basically washed my hair with a sulfate shampoo and conditioned with the same brand. And I had frizz and major frizz when the humidity was high.

I stumbled upon Deva Curl No Poo and One Condition and have been using them the past 2 years still not knowing about the curly girl method, basically just using them as my shampoo/condish products. About 6 months ago I heard about and read the CG Handbook by Lorraine Massey and began to follow more of the CG method. After these 6 months, my hair is now curlier and way less frizzy, only slightly effected by rainy, humid weather.

My method may be different than some but it sure works for me. You seem to want to start somewhere tho so I am sharing this method. You can read the book, use some of my suggestions if you like but after doing this and reading the book, you can then tweak and experiment to find out what works best for you.

My method - I wash my hair 1 -2 times per week alternating between Deva Curl No Poo and Kinky Curly Come Clean. I use Deva Curl One C if I use the DC No Poo and I use Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave in if I use that shampoo. You can get the Kinky Curly products at Target. The day after I wash, I don't do anything to my hair, I sleep on a satin pillowcase and for this one day, it looks fine but will not go another day. So day 2, I co wash which is using a conditioner as a poo, I use V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze. Once a week I put coconut oil on my dry hair and put a plastic grocery bag around it and leave overnight. I usually use the Kinky Curly Come Clean as my shampoo to wash out the next morning. I also use a diffuser to dry my hair.

ETA: I tried Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo/conditioner and gel once and my hair was major greasy, I diffused dry and I couldn't stand it, had to wash it out and start all over with Deva Curl brand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    3a, med porous, low density
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Hi and welcome! :smile:

A lot of wavies find that after a few weeks of doing CG their hair develops more curl, especially if you use a diffuser to dry. I always considered myself to be "just a wavy" but after CG my hair began to curl a lot more, but not so much when I totally air dry. You may also want to try a CO with wheat protein and aloe vera, this combo is usually curl enhancing, the protein expands in the hair while it's wet and contracts when it dries, thus tightening the curls.

Dixigirly said she couldn't find a good video about scrunching the hair but I wonder if Jessicurl's videos came up in her search, IMO they are some of the best to illustrate the CG routine, and here's one featuring a wavy girl: Pahoma. Don't let the fact that she uses 2 styling products intimidate you, the reason is because the RR has a very gentle hold, but a lot of us just use a regular gel with good hold, and this too is trial and error as far as how much to use, so if at first you don't get the results you want try again with a different amount.

And, as far as using a LI, as a rule, most wavies don't need one. I usually only use one in place of a RO (rinse out), or right after doing an all-over color retouch when my hair needs extra moisture, so don't feel obligated to use one if it's not helping. Another thing to keep in mind is that whatever you may find working this time of year may not work at all when the cool weather returns; that won't necessarily mean you will need an entire new line of products, in a lot of cases all that's needed is to make some adjustments to the routine.

Btw, not everything with the name "sulfate" in it qualifies as "bad", one example is behentrimonium methosulfate, which is really a quaternary ammonium salt and is one of the most detangling and gentle ingredients used mainly in COs.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file