2a/b hair product help!

angelicakangelicak Registered Users Posts: 127
I need some suggestions for new products.

My hair is 2a/b, fine, low porosity, medium density.
I'm in college and there is very hard water here.
Currently using Malibu C hard water wellness shampoo and conditioner and the little packets, but my hair isn't agreeing at all! I use ACV rinse last just before getting out and sometimes I switch shampoos or conditioners to see what works best.
Usually cycle between SM Yucca and Baobab shampoo and Curls unleashed no restrictions conditioner.
I have VERY flat under layers-- hardly 2a they are so straight. Also the top of my head is relatively flat as well. I've been diffusing to get more volume on top and making my curls curlier. But I'm considering giving up on that because I want to experience my real natural hair! However, when I don't diffuse by hair looks like limp spaghetti. The gel (Volumax) makes my hair super crunchy and you would think it would hold but nope! At night I pineapple my hair and when I wake up in the morning I have really weird scraggly curls that go every which way. So I guess I'm interested in getting a product where I don't have to diffuse my hair and it doesn't look like spaghetti but nice 2a waves that I have (it's 2b when I diffuse)
I also use SM style milk I think the hibiscus one.

Products I am looking into getting: aussie volume mousse, KCKT, and Curl Junkie coffee-coco curl creme

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED! Looking to purchase a number of new products in the next few days!!
Also willing to try any tips for washing/drying/scrunching/ANYTHING!!

Thanks in advance!!
CG since: 2/9/2013
HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
Currently using:
Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
PT: gelatin!
DT: Curls Unleashed NR

Love diffusing.:p
Always learning!

Comments

  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Pleas take a look at my tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ As far as I know I'm about the only 2 a/b out there doing them. Subscribe if you like it. Let me know what else you want to see! You can see the techniques I use and products like Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Sweet Curls Flax Seed Gel, conditioner only styling, and I'll be doing more.

    I think the Curl Junkie would probably be nice on you. I don't like the Aussie stuff myself. You could go to a Dollar General and try some LA Looks. It has a pretty generally high like factor for a hard gel (the gold or the blue) and is easy in the pocket to put that money in your other products. I like KCKT for detangling. It's not that good for us wavies otherwise. A good conditioner is better. I really like Giovanni 2 Chic Ultra Moisturizing conditioner which you can find at whole foods and other health food stores.

    Oh I do like Ouidad Wave Taffy Texture paste and inline their Curl Quencher gel but you need a hard hold over that. Deva B'leave, In despite the name, is not a leave in but it can really be nice under a hard hold gel.

    And I just can't recommend enough Sweet Curls Elixir on Etsy OR making your own flax seed gel (whichbisnwhat really inexpensive). Recipes all over the inter webs and on YouTube. It's really a staple product for consistent results.

    Hope something here helps!!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    We have the same properties.

    What are your goals? Reduce frizz, more clumping, etc, etc.

    I think you need to experiement with technique. I have and like Volumax mega a lot. It works best when I smooth it onto soaking wet hair (upside down), sometimes watering it down in my hand before applying. Then I go straight into a plop (without turning my head upright). This helps to set my clumps, so they don't turn out so stringy. I think you'll find you won't get spaghetti with Volumax if you try another technique.

    If your goal is just to see your natural hair but what... less frizzy? More defined? I would just use something simple like FSG or conditioner-only styling (use only a little bit.) True 2a/b should actually be the easiest to style. I would pick things with protein for fine hair, and no heavy products like CJ CCCC.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

    Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

    :thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

    iherb discount code: CFN646
  • angelicakangelicak Registered Users Posts: 127
    wavydaze wrote: »
    We have the same properties.

    What are your goals? Reduce frizz, more clumping, etc, etc.

    I think you need to experiement with technique. I have and like Volumax mega a lot. It works best when I smooth it onto soaking wet hair (upside down), sometimes watering it down in my hand before applying. Then I go straight into a plop (without turning my head upright). This helps to set my clumps, so they don't turn out so stringy. I think you'll find you won't get spaghetti with Volumax if you try another technique.

    If your goal is just to see your natural hair but what... less frizzy? More defined? I would just use something simple like FSG or conditioner-only styling (use only a little bit.) True 2a/b should actually be the easiest to style. I would pick things with protein for fine hair, and no heavy products like CJ CCCC.

    What kind of plop do u do and for how long? I tried to plop and my curls looked insane after though I think I did it for too long. I am so nervous to do conditioner only styling :(

    I def want to do more definition less frizz

    I just hate having to work so hard to get curls with diffusing etc. just want to try to be true 2a/b
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
  • angelicakangelicak Registered Users Posts: 127
    chupie wrote: »
    Pleas take a look at my tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ As far as I know I'm about the only 2 a/b out there doing them. Subscribe if you like it. Let me know what else you want to see! You can see the techniques I use and products like Deva Frizz Free Volumizing Foam, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Sweet Curls Flax Seed Gel, conditioner only styling, and I'll be doing more.

    I think the Curl Junkie would probably be nice on you. I don't like the Aussie stuff myself. You could go to a Dollar General and try some LA Looks. It has a pretty generally high like factor for a hard gel (the gold or the blue) and is easy in the pocket to put that money in your other products. I like KCKT for detangling. It's not that good for us wavies otherwise. A good conditioner is better. I really like Giovanni 2 Chic Ultra Moisturizing conditioner which you can find at whole foods and other health food stores.

    Oh I do like Ouidad Wave Taffy Texture paste and inline their Curl Quencher gel but you need a hard hold over that. Deva B'leave, In despite the name, is not a leave in but it can really be nice under a hard hold gel.

    And I just can't recommend enough Sweet Curls Elixir on Etsy OR making your own flax seed gel (whichbisnwhat really inexpensive). Recipes all over the inter webs and on YouTube. It's really a staple product for consistent results.

    Hope something here helps!!

    Thank u for ur feedback! I'm definitely going to check out ur tutorials when I get a chance!
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    angelicak wrote: »
    What kind of plop do u do and for how long? I tried to plop and my curls looked insane after though I think I did it for too long. I am so nervous to do conditioner only styling :(

    I def want to do more definition less frizz

    I just hate having to work so hard to get curls with diffusing etc. just want to try to be true 2a/b

    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    ^I'm giving some tips here based on your properties. Hard water can be tricky but I've found that the Giovanni poos work best in hard water without depositing anything onto my hair. I think you'll be better off with 50:50 rather than switching between sulfates and a low-poo with shea butter. There are trial/travel sizes of many Gio products at Whole Foods if you have one around you so you can try them out before you commit to a bigger bottle.

    The SM milk is probably too heavy for you since you're low-po.

    I'd keep it simple with your properties and goals

    1. get a low-poo that works in hard water and doesn't deposit anything on your hair (I recommend something like G 50:50 or G SaS)
    2. a simple rinse-out with protein (you can also add CNPF to a condish you already have/like) I'm talking cheapie ones here like Suave Nat Coconut, Cure Care, Tressemme Nat Vibrantly Smooth + CNPF
    3. plain FSG (with optional addition of CNPF)
    4. air-dry

    I don't usually plop but when I do I only do it for 5 min or so. Just enough to set the clumps.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

    Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

    :thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

    iherb discount code: CFN646
  • AKgirlAKgirl Registered Users Posts: 341
    I don't care for the aussie volume mousse, but the spray gel is nice! I've used it successfully on 2nd day hair and on top of a mousse. However, if you are looking for a more natural way to style your hair, I'd say look into something lighter, but not heavy. I really love deva frizz free volumizing foam. It's great! The DFFF and spiralicious are a great combo for my hair, but using the two definitely provide more hold.

    You might also try orgx Moroccan curl defining cream, it's nice, and has a very soft hold. Or, I've not tried it on wet hair yet, but I have refreshed a couple of time with miss jessie's jelly soft curls; it seems like a nice soft hold. Next wash I'll probably try using it and air drying with that.

    I definitely hear where you are coming from, and I have been on a quest for this, too! I finally cut my hair (like 6 inches) and was able to successfully air dry with only aveda style-prep as leave in.
    2a-2bFii NP?

    Low poo: Deva Low-Poo, Jessicurl GLS, Moroccanoil Volumizing Shampoo, Aveda Be Curly
    Condish: Cure Care, Redken Body Full, Deva One C, and Jessicurl Aloeba
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Style Prep <3
    Products: Deva FFVF & Jessicurl Spiralicious (LOVE), TRESemme Curl Boosting Mousse
    Hairspray: Aussie Sprunch, TRESemme Curl
    locking Spray
    Experimenting with lots of products in my cabinet...


    My hair loves protein, plopping, and diffusing! Trying to find a way to style and air dry.
  • angelicakangelicak Registered Users Posts: 127
    AKgirl wrote: »
    I don't care for the aussie volume mousse, but the spray gel is nice! I've used it successfully on 2nd day hair and on top of a mousse. However, if you are looking for a more natural way to style your hair, I'd say look into something lighter, but not heavy. I really love deva frizz free volumizing foam. It's great! The DFFF and spiralicious are a great combo for my hair, but using the two definitely provide more hold.

    You might also try orgx Moroccan curl defining cream, it's nice, and has a very soft hold. Or, I've not tried it on wet hair yet, but I have refreshed a couple of time with miss jessie's jelly soft curls; it seems like a nice soft hold. Next wash I'll probably try using it and air drying with that.

    I definitely hear where you are coming from, and I have been on a quest for this, too! I finally cut my hair (like 6 inches) and was able to successfully air dry with only aveda style-prep as leave in.

    Omg I want to get to a point where I can just use minimal products! I think I will try the deva frizz free foam and spiralicious! Will be posting a pic of today's hair vs other days
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
  • angelicakangelicak Registered Users Posts: 127
    wavydaze wrote: »
    angelicak wrote: »
    What kind of plop do u do and for how long? I tried to plop and my curls looked insane after though I think I did it for too long. I am so nervous to do conditioner only styling :(

    I def want to do more definition less frizz

    I just hate having to work so hard to get curls with diffusing etc. just want to try to be true 2a/b

    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    ^I'm giving some tips here based on your properties. Hard water can be tricky but I've found that the Giovanni poos work best in hard water without depositing anything onto my hair. I think you'll be better off with 50:50 rather than switching between sulfates and a low-poo with shea butter. There are trial/travel sizes of many Gio products at Whole Foods if you have one around you so you can try them out before you commit to a bigger bottle.

    The SM milk is probably too heavy for you since you're low-po.

    I'd keep it simple with your properties and goals

    1. get a low-poo that works in hard water and doesn't deposit anything on your hair (I recommend something like G 50:50 or G SaS)
    2. a simple rinse-out with protein (you can also add CNPF to a condish you already have/like) I'm talking cheapie ones here like Suave Nat Coconut, Cure Care, Tressemme Nat Vibrantly Smooth + CNPF
    3. plain FSG (with optional addition of CNPF)
    4. air-dry

    I don't usually plop but when I do I only do it for 5 min or so. Just enough to set the clumps.

    I tried ur technique last night, put volumax in when wet like sopping wet! And then plopped for 15 mins or so and here is my result ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1397833205.795963.jpg
    Still some zany curls but otherwise I'm happy with the result. Good clumps! And not super hard!

    How do u part your hair? I usually brush all my hair back in the shower with a comb and then when I lean forward I stick my fingers in my bangs and wiggle and then just flip bangs back and forth til it's dry.
    My under layers are still really flat which drives me crazy but whatever!
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    I've been really curious about that Miss Jessie's. Like I need another product. Lol.

    So I'm a little I've a year in and this is really my first try at a true wash and go today. I have very 2a hair really. I washed with KCCC and did a 5 minute in shower treatment with Repair Me. Scrunched in Sweet Curls Flax seed gel and hard hold gel and modified plopped like in that other thread out there using the long sleeved t while I got ready. I had to clip the sides to make it look like I was doing this on purpose lol. And I am truly trying completely air drying for basically the first time ever. So you can see this is an evolving practice!!! ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1397833792.862451.jpg
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    angelicak wrote: »
    wavydaze wrote: »
    angelicak wrote: »
    What kind of plop do u do and for how long? I tried to plop and my curls looked insane after though I think I did it for too long. I am so nervous to do conditioner only styling :(

    I def want to do more definition less frizz

    I just hate having to work so hard to get curls with diffusing etc. just want to try to be true 2a/b

    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    ^I'm giving some tips here based on your properties. Hard water can be tricky but I've found that the Giovanni poos work best in hard water without depositing anything onto my hair. I think you'll be better off with 50:50 rather than switching between sulfates and a low-poo with shea butter. There are trial/travel sizes of many Gio products at Whole Foods if you have one around you so you can try them out before you commit to a bigger bottle.

    The SM milk is probably too heavy for you since you're low-po.

    I'd keep it simple with your properties and goals

    1. get a low-poo that works in hard water and doesn't deposit anything on your hair (I recommend something like G 50:50 or G SaS)
    2. a simple rinse-out with protein (you can also add CNPF to a condish you already have/like) I'm talking cheapie ones here like Suave Nat Coconut, Cure Care, Tressemme Nat Vibrantly Smooth + CNPF
    3. plain FSG (with optional addition of CNPF)
    4. air-dry

    I don't usually plop but when I do I only do it for 5 min or so. Just enough to set the clumps.

    I tried ur technique last night, put volumax in when wet like sopping wet! And then plopped for 15 mins or so and here is my result ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1397833205.795963.jpg
    Still some zany curls but otherwise I'm happy with the result. Good clumps! And not super hard!

    How do u part your hair? I usually brush all my hair back in the shower with a comb and then when I lean forward I stick my fingers in my bangs and wiggle and then just flip bangs back and forth til it's dry.
    My under layers are still really flat which drives me crazy but whatever!

    Hey I think that looks great!! Yeah I live the DFFF and Spiralicious combo too. Even plain Spiralicious. Or FSG topped with Spiralicious.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • angelicakangelicak Registered Users Posts: 127
    chupie wrote: »
    angelicak wrote: »
    wavydaze wrote: »

    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    ^I'm giving some tips here based on your properties. Hard water can be tricky but I've found that the Giovanni poos work best in hard water without depositing anything onto my hair. I think you'll be better off with 50:50 rather than switching between sulfates and a low-poo with shea butter. There are trial/travel sizes of many Gio products at Whole Foods if you have one around you so you can try them out before you commit to a bigger bottle.

    The SM milk is probably too heavy for you since you're low-po.

    I'd keep it simple with your properties and goals

    1. get a low-poo that works in hard water and doesn't deposit anything on your hair (I recommend something like G 50:50 or G SaS)
    2. a simple rinse-out with protein (you can also add CNPF to a condish you already have/like) I'm talking cheapie ones here like Suave Nat Coconut, Cure Care, Tressemme Nat Vibrantly Smooth + CNPF
    3. plain FSG (with optional addition of CNPF)
    4. air-dry

    I don't usually plop but when I do I only do it for 5 min or so. Just enough to set the clumps.

    I tried ur technique last night, put volumax in when wet like sopping wet! And then plopped for 15 mins or so and here is my result ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1397833205.795963.jpg
    Still some zany curls but otherwise I'm happy with the result. Good clumps! And not super hard!

    How do u part your hair? I usually brush all my hair back in the shower with a comb and then when I lean forward I stick my fingers in my bangs and wiggle and then just flip bangs back and forth til it's dry.
    My under layers are still really flat which drives me crazy but whatever!

    Hey I think that looks great!! Yeah I live the DFFF and Spiralicious combo too. Even plain Spiralicious. Or FSG topped with Spiralicious.

    I'm totally gonna try that FSG u recommended! Love ur hair air drying I'm trying to grow mine out again
    CG since: 2/9/2013
    HAIR: 2a/b with nearly straight hair at neck, flat on top, low porosity, medium density, fine, medium length
    Currently using:
    Low Poo/No Poo: SM YB, Malibu C Hardwater Wellness (every other day)
    Rinse Out: Malibu C Hardwater Wellness Conditioner
    Leave In: SM Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk
    Gel: Volumax (Sally's)
    PT: gelatin!
    DT: Curls Unleashed NR

    Love diffusing.:p
    Always learning!
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    angelicak wrote: »
    I tried ur technique last night, put volumax in when wet like sopping wet! And then plopped for 15 mins or so and here is my result ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1397833205.795963.jpg
    Still some zany curls but otherwise I'm happy with the result. Good clumps! And not super hard!

    How do u part your hair? I usually brush all my hair back in the shower with a comb and then when I lean forward I stick my fingers in my bangs and wiggle and then just flip bangs back and forth til it's dry.
    My under layers are still really flat which drives me crazy but whatever!

    8-) You're definitely on the right track!

    If you want more clumpage, look into the Supersoaker method. It involves soaking your hair with water after you've put on the gel. I've gotten really really good results with Volumax this way. I think it can be a tricky gel because it is very hard hold, but when applied correctly it's quite nice, and easy to SOTC and leaves really nice shiny, defined curls.

    The hard thing is just not globbing it on. I've definitely made that mistake and it was impossible to scrunch out. That's why I think watering it down a little, applying it to soaking wet hair and/or doing the super soaker method with it is key.


    I've had issues with parting. Before CG and styling products, I would change my part a lot during the day because my hair grows forward and into my face, and because it gave me crown volume. But if I gel my hair I can't keep doing that.....
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

    Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

    :thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

    iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file