I went without gel for the first time

unepetitepruneunepetiteprune Registered Users Posts: 46
Today I washed and applied leave-in but no gel out of curiosity...it's been a year since I've gone CG. Wow..my hair looks way better than I expected. A bit puffier and less defined, pattern is weaker, but very minimal frizz. It looks like my 3rd-4th day hair basically. What a pleasant surprise. I may consider doing this from now on...I'm so lazy, the less work the better! Does anyone else style only with a leave-in conditioner?

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i do at times. depending on dew points, my hair.....
    also i find i can and sometimes do apply gel when my hair is dry. cj pp can be used either on wet or dry hair. also cj ciab is great on dry hair. so those are my backups if it proves not to be a good idea for that day.
    actually yesterday i also just used leave in.

you'll find as you go along you stumble across different routines that work well, then doh't work. so you use them here and there, trying to understand the conditions that they worked under. LOL! you have to be flexible and have some back-up products if necessary or accessories.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • heyhoheyho Registered Users Posts: 55
    Today I washed and applied leave-in but no gel out of curiosity...it's been a year since I've gone CG. Wow..my hair looks way better than I expected. A bit puffier and less defined, pattern is weaker, but very minimal frizz. It looks like my 3rd-4th day hair basically. What a pleasant surprise. I may consider doing this from now on...I'm so lazy, the less work the better! Does anyone else style only with a leave-in conditioner?

Yes, I do and love it :love4: I can't see myself ever going back to gel.
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Connoisseur
    That's awesome that your hair turned out nice!

I tried to just use leave in conditioner probably about a year ago. It was raining that day and really humid. My hair was in a ponytail within 5 seconds of looking in the mirror at myself! It was soooo poofy and frizzy.
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • caramix3acaramix3a Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    I've tried this on several different occasions(mostly when I was really trying to go all natural with my hair care which turned out to be a big flop), but honestly, for me, even though I take really good care of my mixed-texture(2c-3a)hair, it really does look better with gel. Otherwise, it's too poofy, undefined - not a good look on me:(
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Registered Users Posts: 228
    I guess Spring makes us want to lighten things up - I did the same thing this past week. After a year plus of co-washing, scrunching in gel or mousse, and diffusing (plus regular trims to get rid of damage), I decided to see what my hair looked like naked. I washed it the way I used to before trying all the CG methods. I washed with a non sulfate poo, then I used a RO. That was it. No styling product at all. AND I combed my hair after blotting dry w a microfiber towel. (I so miss combing and brushing my hair - it just feels good). I flipped my hair upside down, gave it a light scrunch, partially diffused, then let the hair air dry the rest of the way. So quick and easy.
    I was pretty happy with the results. I had soft waves throughout. It was a little less defined but there was no frizz. I actually preferred it to first day hair with gel. By day three the waves were much weaker but I had big volume, which I like. So if I want the definition to hold up over several days I need a styling product but if I wash more frequently I can go without, at least in higher dews, I think. It's nice to know I have options now that my hair is in better shape. I don't think I would have gotten the same results last year. The bottom few inches were too damaged to curl without a lot of help.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    I did today too!! I used Alaffia Sculpting wax and hair lotion. Amazing.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file