CurlTalk

Curly Hair and Fitness

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
Hey Friends,

How do peeps wear their hair when they workout? Or do you just cleanse and style afterward? Just curious what y'all do!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I work out after work and just put it in a pony, bun, or braid. If I'm going someplace later and it looks awful I will wash and style as usual. But I can usually get away with a pony.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 525Registered Users
    Pineapple! I cleanse/co-wash as normal (2 or 3 times per week).
    CG since Dec. 2013 :blob3:
    3b/c ~ fine ~ medium porosity ~ low density ~ dyed dark red
    No-Poo: Cantu Cleansing Cream Shampoo
    RO: Suave Essentials Volumizing Conditioner
    Styler: Tresemme Extra Firm Control Mousse & Hairspray
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users
    My hair is pretty long, so I just bun it and secure it with two small octopus clips. The curls get weighed down though.

Even though I workout 3 times a week, however, I only rinse/wash my hair once a week because the full wetting process + drying takes too much time for me :?. But using a scented spray is a good idea though :).
  • knitapeaceknitapeace Posts: 44Registered Users
    High pony. But I'll make a confession: I work out 5-6 days a week and I only fully wet my head 3 days. I spritz my hair with water and my scalp with lavender spray on the days I don't wash (I still shower though I promise!)
    2B/2C for the most part, dense, coarse, porous, NEVER SHINY!!!! :angry1:
    Loving my new pixie cut!
    Gracefully going grey
  • DracelinDracelin Posts: 7Registered Users
    Pony-braid at the top of my head. Only the hair close to the head get sweaty, and it's easier to dry it off later with a towel. If I have the time I etiher co-wash or rinse it with water, to get the sweat out.
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users
    I train 5 days a week and keep my hair collar length. For spin class I just use hair grips to keep the sides from hanging in my face. I would love to grow it long but just can't be bothered with the extra maintenance! As it is I no poo twice a week and rinse with water once and I find that enough of a pain. I have VERY fine, thin 3ab hair
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• CurlyAeriCurlyAeri Posts: 21Registered Users
    Messy buns, two french braids, a halo braid, a high puff, and sometimes just some chunky twists. I go to the gym Monday-Friday , and I cowash my hair midweek (Wednesday) and actually wash it every Saturday ! I have dry hair so it is not good for me to continuously wash it daily ! :(
  • zkbearkarazkbearkara Posts: 4Registered Users
    I either throw it back in a ponytail, a bun, or if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll dutch braid it. Depends on what I'm doing though. If I play tennis, I can't bun it cause my damn hair will just bounce around and give me a headache.

I workout 6 times a week, with tennis, weight lifting, cardio sessions, and yoga, with at least two of the above. I gotta wash my hair everyday cause I sweat soooo much. Before going CG, I used to wash it after every workout, so about 2-3 times a day. :3

I now realize how bad that is, and only wash my hair once a day if I workout. That is the minimum amount of washing I can do though, so I only co-wash those days, and shampoo once every week to two weeks.
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    I put my hair in a loose-ish pony when I workout. Then I shower with a shower cap on. I workout about 5 days a week, but I only cleanse my hair 2 times a week. However, if my scalp is REALLY sweaty after a workout, I'll wash it, even if it isn't "wash day" yet according to my self-imposed schedule ;-)
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I put the front of my hair in a barrette, and out the rest into a low ponytail. It's sadly not long enough yet to put all of it in a ponytail or to braid it (I miss my long hair so much sometimes).

I have to wash daily (low poo or co wash), because if I don't, I get acne all over my scalp. I sweat a lot when I workout, which may contribute to it, but I also have oily skin and tend to still get acne, especially on my back.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • CurlylollipopCurlylollipop Posts: 10Registered Users
    Two Pippi Longstocking braids works for me.
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users
    I just pull it back into a bun and use a lot of clips and pins to secure it. I don't change up my washing at all.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • ashleygorecki28ashleygorecki28 Posts: 4Registered Users
    I put a pony and make my hair like pony tail.. its all good :)
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Ponytail for me, and it does get sweaty around nape of my neck and ends when they are on my back. I usually just put it in a low bun after a workout if I'm going out in public. Otherwise I will wait to rinse it with water or CO wash it the next morning.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • KatesWavesKatesWaves Posts: 3Registered Users
    I know this is an older thread, but since the whole reason I discovered CG was in looking for a solution for workout hair, I thought I'd throw in my two cents!

I workout in the morning at the high school I teach at before students get to school. As I take a quick shower to get rid of sweat before going to class, I was looking for a low-maintanence solution for my hair. All I do is put my hair in a very high pineapple using a scrunchie with a large, absorbent headband (to catch sweat), workout like normal, and then shower with a shower cap. I then refresh my hair with some lavender spray, and style as I would for any 2nd+ day style. I'm only about a week into CG, and can already go several days between washing, even though I sweat quite a bit during my workouts. I keep dry shampoo in my gym locker in case I need it, but so far I haven't, even working out 4 days post-wash!
    CG since 1/4/16
    Wavy 2c/2b
    Cardio/lifting workout 6 days/week

Currently Using:
    DevaCurl No Poo, DevaCurl One Condition, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, DevaCurl Mist-er Right, Garnier Pure Clean Finishing Paste, EVCO

**Secret weapon: Plopping with micro fiber TurbieTowel directly out of the shower while I get dressed**