Flaking/scaling/crusting from FSG

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I used NaturallyBeautiful73's fsg recipe. I've used other recipes with the same result: large patches of crusting on my scalp. Of course it flakes off and looks terrible. Does anyone else get this? How'd you solve it?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    If your actual scalp is flaking and crusting it sounds like you are having a reaction to FSG. I would discontinue use.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah I was wondering if I might be allergic to flax seed...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If so, here's an alternative recipe I found.

Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin': Flax-Free Hair Gel

I haven't tried it, but it's on the to-do list for the next time I decide to play mad scientist!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used NaturallyBeautiful73's fsg recipe. I've used other recipes with the same result: large patches of crusting on my scalp. Of course it flakes off and looks terrible. Does anyone else get this? How'd you solve it?

Wow that really sounds like you are allergic! Try that recipe below.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Just wondering....do you get sick when you eat whole grainy things? (Which often contain some flax).
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Thanks all!
    chupie wrote: »

Just wondering....do you get sick when you eat whole grainy things? (Which often contain some flax).
    Hmmm...no I don't think so.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Thanks all!
    chupie wrote: »

Hmmm...no I don't think so.

Hmm. Maybe it's the essential oils. Seems like you would have a reaction to eating flax seeds too if you were reacting to the flax.
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have pretty impressive bad reactions to a large number of essential oils - itchy, sore bumps that last for a long time.
    Maybe plain flax gel without essential oils and shea butter is a better place to start. BeinDeb posted my flax-free gel and that's a good recipe. It doesn't hold the hair together in quite the same way as flax gel - but it works well. I think this one holds together a little better if you're okay with glycerin: Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin' - Easy, Humectant Wave/Curl Boosting Jelly
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users

It sounds like you are having a serious (dermatitis of the scalp) reaction. Try gently rinsing your hair with PLAIN warm water and repeat and then while still very wet, saturalte with (Lily of the Desert's) Whole Leaf ALoe Vera Gel for a few days and it should clear up. but you should also see a dermatologist immediately. If the Aloe isn't enough on it's own you can have your doctor prescribe Betamethasone topical (i have super-sensitive skin issues, and sometimes this cream is the only thing that will alleviate the symtptoms of a reaction like that on scalp or body). And use that after rinsing your scalp for a few days, then switch back to the Aloe when no longer itchy/flaky. It really does work.

HTH!
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
    Thanks all. I think the issue is seborrheic dermatitis. I have it on my face. I think the fsg triggered a flare up. Flax seed oil is supposed to be good for SD. So maybe it was the oils, as some of you said. Here's a pic of my scalp about an hour after washing it on Sunday. I think I will see a derm. I read that SD can lead to hair loss.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file