Different Patterns

russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
Is it normal for one side of my head to be curlier than another? How do you even that out?
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    Completely normal. I have multiple curl patterns all over my head:

The hair at the nape of my neck is pretty much straight, although the longer it gets it has a slight bend to it. It has a totally different texture than anything else on my head. It certainly won't hold curl by outside means. So I get it cut at least an inch shorter than the rest of my hair so it doesn't hang down below the rst of the back of my hair. It does still cling to the sides of my neck though, I just try to make the best of it.

The back is pretty well behaved, 2c? It doesn't have much root curl, but the longer it gets it has these long spirals at the ends. In giant self aggregating clumps. But there is one section in the middle of the back of my head, on my right side, that has a much longer wave before it starts to curl on the ends. It's also much coarser than the rest of my hair. Ever Seen ABC's John Henson's little gray patch back there? That's about where mine is. And it's grayer too. I need to play with the layering on that section the next time I go for a haircut - it's starting to get weighed down by its own weight.

On the very top of my head I get root curl. A little anyway. But not in the back, just on the top-sides. I have a very strong cowlick that forces a strong part just right of center of my forehead. Just to the left of center I have one, just one, strand of decidedly 3a spiral. But on the right side of the part it is a lazy sprial. Just below all this, around the tops of my ears and to the back, is really fine hair that is merely wavy, maybe 2a. And it doens't get any curlier. All of these sections on the sides and in the front I define with a fine tooth comb and stuff into the diffuser to get them set. (On a bad day, it all gets pinned behind my ears, haha!)

So in the end I get the sides cut shorter than the back, so my hair kind of sweeps toward the back and the curlier bits from the top fall down and frame my face. My stylist is decent about listening to me and cutting things as they want to fall. She isn't a Deva stylist, but is pretty good about cutting my multiple patterns and textures. Sometimes we try something that doesn't quite work, but after a year or so of experimenting, we are finding the right way to cut each section. I'm pretty patient with haircuts, LOL. And she's willing to cut the stragglers that we miss the first time.

If you're just starting out with CG, be patient, it took me a good 6 months to get consistent results (and my hair wasn't particularly damaged, I only had a lot of silicone buildup from previous products and was in desperate need of moisture). I can't say that my hair has become any more uniform with time, but I'm generally happy to deal with what it is - it's what I've been given.

Although I would love to change that one piece of almost straight hair that lies right in the middle of my part, in between the really curly piece and the wavy piece on the other side... I still don't know what to do with that one!

Don't be discouraged though, I feel like an extreme case. But there are plenty of us out there with uneven curl patterns. A good stylist will help you find the right cut that (more or less) balances everything!

:blah5:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much for the reply!

I definitely have pieces of hair that are straight up 3A and then this annoying underlayer that is bone straight (although my new stylist thinks she can do something about that).
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file