Does anybody else straighten using a curling brush dryer?

CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
Because I learned how to straighten my hair with a blower like this one back in the '70s I never liked using a separate brush. During the late '80s/early '90s I got a curling brush dryer with which I dried and curled the front/top of my hair which was cut short (mullet style...) and I really loved it, so when about 9-10 years ago I saw at a Walmart a better version of it, with 2 different size brushes, I bought one and it made straightening my hair so much easier.

Of course, this doesn't make the hair "stick straight" like a flat iron but leaves the hair with "body" or curved at the ends, but this is a lot less damaging. And it doesn't need to be used only right after washing, as long as the sections of hair are misted with water or a product specific for blowdrying, it's fine.

When several other women in my family saw my curling dryer brush they all wanted one, lol! And I still have my last one that I got probably 7 or 8 years ago (if not longer!) so if you don't use them all the time they'll last a long time. Last night I decided to straighten and wondered if other people had "discovered" how convenient they really are. I know they work really well for hair up to 3C but I'm sure they would do a decent job on 4 type hair too, I just didn't see anything on Youtube about that, but here's a video of a girl showing how she dries her hair with the same type I have and doing it pretty much as I do (although I section differently).

Comments

• bcody09bcody09 Registered Users Posts: 115
    When I straighten that's what I use! I'm not coordinated enough to use a brush and blow dryer so I've been using the combo brush for years. I only straighten once every few months but I always get compliments on the body and little curl at the end. I love it and I use it to dry my hair since it lasts 4 days when I do it.
    CG since Mar 2, 2012! :)

Routine:
    CoWash: V05 Tea Therapy in Vanilla Mint Tea
    RO:Tresemme Naturals: Nourishing Moisture
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: CVS Sport Gel or Xcess Sport Hold Gel
    Mouse: Pantene Curl-Defining Mousse

Product Application:
    Scrunch out water with random t-shirt
    Apply products
    Long sleeve shirt plop.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    My sister who's natural goes to a dry bar & gets her hair straightened with a blow dryer & brush.
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    bcody09 wrote: »
    When I straighten that's what I use! I'm not coordinated enough to use a brush and blow dryer so I've been using the combo brush for years. I only straighten once every few months but I always get compliments on the body and little curl at the end. I love it and I use it to dry my hair since it lasts 4 days when I do it.

I don't straighten very often either and when I do it lasts me 4-5 days, I've even gone a whole week but by then my hair is kind of oily... When I go to sleep I just tie up my hair at the top of my head and then wind it up around a big velcro roller and anchor it with 2 large bobby pins and it's good to go the next day.
  • dixygirldixygirl Banned Users Posts: 279
    If I need to soften curls I use a round brush and a blow dryer. That is my go to. It curls with huge bend and smooths in one step that is very easy. Since my hair is fine and thin, I can literally knock out my tiny bit of curls in less than 2 minutes. I do this very infrequently. maybe about once every two months and it uses minimal heat.This is mainly if I got caught in the rain or need to make a quick style to go somewhere in less than 5 minutes. Curly girls use far more heat diffusing their curls than I do to subtly smooth my already dry hair with a round brush. I literally just wrap it around the brush and give it a quick few seconds on heat hold it to cool and move on. Thicker, coarser hair can not achieve the results so quickly but for me, my curls almost fall out just looking at them with a round brush and blow dryer. And it produces big fluffy huge feathers reminiscent of Farrah Fawcett. So for my hair type I have no use for a flat iron unless I was using it to do the Japanese straighteners I used to do over a year ago
    :lol:
    31665169_020_b?$product410x615$
    Farrah-Fawcett-farrah-fawcett-21258858-1000-1074.jpg
    I can then maintain it nightly with a wrap or a few huge sponge velcro rollers
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm tempted to get this. What brand do you recommend?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgoeRTwjsuU
    (The girl in the above video passed it thru her hair way too fast. You can hold it on the hair a few seconds at least to get more of a bend)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn84RJwhFJQ
    Amazon.com: Infiniti Pro by Conair Spin Air Rotating Styler: Beauty
    bc178p.png
    Thank you for replying. My hair is very short so I don't think this would work well for me. The search goes on. :wink:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    The curling brush dryer is more practical IMO because you only need one hand, and they usually come with a narrower brush attachment for short hair. If your hair is really too short now, maybe in a couple of months or so it would be helpful. You can find it at Walmart or a drugstore like Walgreen's, or at least a similar model. Here's the exact one I have: The Revlon Ionic Hot Air Hair Kit - Walmart.com
    Hey I just saw a commercial for this styling brush on tv!
    I'm going to get one but I'm going to read reviews first. I just don't want it to get so tangled in my hair that it pulls my hair out.

dixy, my hair is coarse. I've had my best results with old fashioned plastic rollers or sponge rollers.

My hair just seems to look better with a roller set than with curls, no matter how hard I try. I try twirling, scrunching, various styling lotions/ gels, etc. Oh well, at least I can get a look I like for 2-3 days with a roller set.

Thanks for the input, everyone~!
    I got the Conair curling brush in the larger size on Amazon. Wow! I'm very, very happy that I purchased this. It is so much easier to use than what I have been doing when I wear my hair straighter.:blob4:

I had been doing roller sets, but last night, I blow dried my hair about 70% and then used the curling brush after spraying hair with Tresseme heat tamer for protection. I wasn't expecting much because I've tried so many, many MANY things in the past (different hot curlers, q-redew, curling irons) with crappola results - but voila!

I'm astonished! The curling brush made soft waves with a slight curl in record time and I didn't have to use a high heat setting. It all was so easy and quick. My hair looks good today even after sleeping on it and it isn't damaged at all.

I totally recommend this product. I can't believe I finally found something that straightens my hair without damage, quickly and easily. It's really a breakthrough for me.

If you try it, please post back. So glad I read this thread. Hope to hear from some of you.
    Wow, I'm so pleased you got such good results, but not surprised really because everyone I know that has tried this type of tool has liked it and found it to be quite "gentle" for straightening as opposed to a flat iron, although the effect is a little different, but I find that by rolling the hair "under" the brush after doing it over, the hair will be straighter. :D You can even use it on dry hair for touchups by just very lightly spritzing the needed areas with water.
    I used this on my hair today and got a really strong compliment from someone whose opinion I trust. This product has revolutionized my life because instead of taking hours to dry it with uncertain and inconsistent results, I now know I can get pretty hair in a short time. Amazing!

Now I have to see how it works in high dews which haven't yet struck NYC. But I am hopeful of good results.
  • ashkins09ashkins09 Registered Users Posts: 75
    When I got my hair done yesterday, this woman was using one of those on this woman with a short bob cut. It was pretty cool. I rarely straighten my hair anymore. Maybe 5x a year now.
    Using the round brushes was too much a hassle for me lol so I used a regular vented brush.
    Pretty neat to use than a brush and blow dryer.
    I might have to get me one lolz. It take about 10-15mins to blow dry my hair due to the products I use.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
    3B fine & medium, medium density,low/medium porosity, semi protein sensitive
    NP: ACV
    COWASH: Suave Naturals green apple and coconut
    RO/LI: Tresseme Naturals, Oyin hair dew
    PT/DT: Ion repair solutions, my own concoction
    OIL: Coconut, grapeseed & jojoba
    STYLER: LA Looks nutra curl & AVJ spritz

My disabilities don't change who I am.
    Ashkins, 10-15 mins is great! A derm advised me not to put tension on my hair (like straightening the curl with a brush and blow dryer) because I was starting to lose hair, so I opted instead for doing roller sets which still put tension on the hair but less.

Using the curling brush I don't need any tension at all, so for me, it is great - plus I like the results better than either regular brush/blow drying or roller sets.

If you get one of these, please post back. I'm really curious to see if others like it as much as I do. :icescream:
    ashkins09 wrote: »
    When I got my hair done yesterday, this woman was using one of those on this woman with a short bob cut. It was pretty cool. I rarely straighten my hair anymore. Maybe 5x a year now.
    Using the round brushes was too much a hassle for me lol so I used a regular vented brush.
    Pretty neat to use than a brush and blow dryer.
    I might have to get me one lolz. It take about 10-15mins to blow dry my hair due to the products I use.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App

I probably straighten as little as you do, although last winter, after a haircut where too much was taken off at the front, I did it a few times so I could deal with that. But it's still great for me to have this, and using it infrequently is probably why mine has lasted so many years (which made it a very good "investment"!). It's been a lot more useful than the curling irons I still cling to even though I never use, lol!

Curlypearl:

I'm really glad you're enjoying this tool, I agree that it's easier on the hair than any other heat-straightening tool out there, and much faster too.

Here's one tip of a little "method" I developed when I first experimented with blow drying during the 70s: I would wrap each straightened section on a large roller while the hair was still warm. I then left the rollers on for at least 10 min. while the hair totally cooled down, this is especially helpful during humid days as it helps tighten the cuticle to keep frizz at bay, and it's particularly good if your bathroom tends to become "steamy" after a shower. ;-)
    Great tip for these upcoming humid days.

Just a few questions: Do you put any product in your hair before you use the curling brush?

Also, I seem to recall that you said you use the brush on hair that is 70-80% damp. Is that right? Do you use a heat protectant?

Thanks so much for all this great advice!
    Usually I just use my "Beautiful Curls" LI because it's rich in coconut oil and shea butter, and before I had that I just rubbed a bit of oil on the top and ends of my hair, either jojoba or "Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil". Since I'm on CG I don't use a "heat protectant" because of the 'cones but also because the couple of times I used it I didn't really think it made a big difference.

And yes, I don't use it when my hair is totally wet. I first wrap my hair with my microfiber "Turbi-twist" (which I probably got at a dollar store :D) for maybe 10 min. and if I have time I let it free for a little while and then section my hair to begin drying, first at the back and from the bottom up.

At night I just bend my head down and brush all my hair into a ponytail at the very top of my head, securing it with one of these, then I roll all the hair in a large roller and secure it with two large pins. I then loosen the tie a little bit so it won't leave a line of demarcation in my hair. Since my hair's fine this has worked very well whenever my hair's been long enough to put around even a smaller roller size and I can go for several days like that until I need to wash my hair again.
    That's really helpful, CG! I was so glad you mentioned using a little bit of oil - I'm sure that is exactly what is needed on my ends, and I wouldn't have thought of it myself. PERFECT!!!:wav:

Thanks so very much.
    You're very welcome! I wish you many happy and good hair days!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file