Hello and Thank You!!

MicherieMicherie Posts: 11Registered Users
I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!

A friend randomly posted a link to this site on Facebook and I have literally spent HOURS perusing the pages and the information is like pure gold. I never knew there were 'types' of curlies and at age 45 I have (oh so sadly) resorted to washing and blow drying and/or straightening the crap out of my poor hair every day for some semblance of control. I don't use products because they're all terrible (or so I thought). I have kept my hair very short for the past 10-15 years because of it. My hair is long in the photo and was my one last ditch go at wearing it long. As soon as it passed my shoulders, I cut it off again because I wore it up every day in frustration. That photo was taken last summer.

After taking your typing quizzes I discovered that I have 2A, fine, medium texture, low-porosity hair that is natural level 2 blonde, very delicate, and very FUSSY!!

I feel SO grateful to the women who created this website and forum. I can't wait to start treating my hair right and feeling beautiful with what my momma gave me!
Mickie Lynn -
2B crown/2C nape, thin/fine, low porosity, normal elasticity, natural level 10 blonde

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    A somewhat belated welcome to you Micherie, great to have you here. You did the right thing spending some time perusing through the site!

May I ask if you've considered trying the "CG" (Curly Girl) routine? Even for a wavy like you it can have great benefits, if you haven't already read about it, you'll find a section dedicated to it under "Trying a shampoo free method?"

I hope you enjoy yourself here and have much success with your hair, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    Welcome! ^^
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D
  • MicherieMicherie Posts: 11Registered Users

May I ask if you've considered trying the "CG" (Curly Girl) routine? Even for a wavy like you it can have great benefits, if you haven't already read about it, you'll find a section dedicated to it under "Trying a shampoo free method?"

Thanks! And I'm working on it. I've done a little bit of co-wash and it's not bad! I need to find some better product for my hair type tho, but I just purchased new shampoo and conditioner right before I discovered this site so I'm putting it off for a bit. But.... the co-wash is definitely making it more possible to go about without blow drying. So far I've done a 3:1 co-wash to shampooed days. :)
    Mickie Lynn -
    2B crown/2C nape, thin/fine, low porosity, normal elasticity, natural level 10 blonde
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I shampoo once a month since I can't use the recipes that people swear by to clarify. I can say the cg method has saved my curls.
    Well, take your time, it looks like the improvement you've introduced is working already. Before I discovered CG I was already skipping one shampoo and only rinsing my hair well and conditioning and that made a difference but I think I was still straightening or doing roller sets.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.

I've never been able to go a day without washing because my hair is so thin/fine. That's why I was unsure about the co-wash, but turns out there's enough going on in conditioner to keep my hair from getting all oily and separated.
    Mickie Lynn -
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome Micherie!
    I too, have thin, fine hair, and for the 1st time in 55 years, I can honestly say that using the CG method for the past 3 months has helped teach me to love what I've got, and let go of what I'm not!

As I've used the wisdom of the Women on this Forum, I've discovered that my hair has a life, beauty, and personality that is a part of both of us.

Although I'm only a few steps ahead of you, I would tell you that it is a journey.

Pack your curiosity, sense of humor, creative spirit, and above all an attitude of fun and exploration, for there is no end. Only beginnings.

(Apologies if this sounds sappy! I suspect I have Spring fever with all the glorious new growth that surrounds me.)
    Micherie wrote: »
    I've never been able to go a day without washing because my hair is so thin/fine. That's why I was unsure about the co-wash, but turns out there's enough going on in conditioner to keep my hair from getting all oily and separated.

Mos of my hair is practically baby fine but I guess I have a less oily scalp (but definitely not dry) because I never washed my hair more than 2x/week, and on CG many times I can go longer, a lot of times I co-wash it or rinse it out just because my curls got messed up (but with the passing of time I've gotten better at getting more "life" out of each co-wash.

As for thin, my hair has at times been like that but eating sufficient protein and taking nutritional supplements help me keep it full at an age where I see lots of women's hair thinned out, so you may want to look into that. My "holy grail" in this category is Kal Super Silica Plus w/MSM, and I learned about it here at NC.com
    in a thread about growing hair long many years ago. Massaging your scalp daily with your head down also helps by increasing blood circulation and delivery of nutrients to the follicles.

BeinDeb wrote: »
    Welcome Micherie!
    I too, have thin, fine hair, and for the 1st time in 55 years, I can honestly say that using the CG method for the past 3 months has helped teach me to love what I've got, and let go of what I'm not!

As I've used the wisdom of the Women on this Forum, I've discovered that my hair has a life, beauty, and personality that is a part of both of us.

Although I'm only a few steps ahead of you, I would tell you that it is a journey.

Pack your curiosity, sense of humor, creative spirit, and above all an attitude of fun and exploration, for there is no end. Only beginnings.

(Apologies if this sounds sappy! I suspect I have Spring fever with all the glorious new growth that surrounds me.)

Amazing! Thank you :) and not sappy at all! I totally get like that this time of year. Especially since I live in the PNW!
    Mickie Lynn -
    Micherie wrote: »

Mos of my hair is practically baby fine but I guess I have a less oily scalp (but definitely not dry) because I never washed my hair more than 2x/week, and on CG many times I can go longer, a lot of times I co-wash it or rinse it out just because my curls got messed up (but with the passing of time I've gotten better at getting more "life" out of each co-wash.

As for thin, my hair has at times been like that but eating sufficient protein and taking nutritional supplements help me keep it full at an age where I see lots of women's hair thinned out, so you may want to look into that. My "holy grail" in this category is Kal Super Silica Plus w/MSM, and I learned about it here at NC.com
    in a thread about growing hair long many years ago. Massaging your scalp daily with your head down also helps by increasing blood circulation and delivery of nutrients to the follicles.

Well, I'll tell you what... I am down with trying anything that will help me keep what I've got and maybe even bring back some of what I've lost. Thanks for posting that! :)
    Mickie Lynn -
    I know this isn't really the place to post, but how do you guys get all that info into your signatures? And it's too bad you can't post more pics into your profile to show the changes in your hair over the years. Mine's been crazy!! Born curly, straight through childhood, straight crown/curly nape in my teens, crazy curly in my 20's, back to straight/curly in my 30's and now it seems to be getting curlier again. My hair has split personalities :blob4:
    Mickie Lynn -
    It took me a bit to find out about the signature too, I didn't notice that this is like a couple of other forums I'd been going to... Just go to User CP which should be at the left in the first teal heading with white letters under the title of each thread. Then look in the menu at the left, click and follow the instructions.

Oh, and yes, that was a neat idea... we may be able to suggest that in the sticky thread that says something like "how can we improve NC.com". Unfortunately for me, I lost pics of my hair after I first started CG in a couple of computers, I think I may still have them in a special back-up hard drive but last time I tried to start it it didn't react, I'm hoping it was just a fluke and that it hasn't gone bad too...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file