CG Question

russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
Hey Fellow Wavies,

I'm really really interested in starting the CG method... Probably after I get my next haircut in a couple weeks... Anyway, so my question is: do people notice that their hair gets curlier when following this method? Do people's hair types even change?
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    Before cg I was a tiny Afro puff. But once I lessened my shampooing, my curls started looking better. But my deva cut set off my curls nicely. No more frizz.
  • mandymaemandymae Registered Users Posts: 150
    I wouldn't say that hair necessarily gets curlier, more that it actually goes to what it's natural state should be. Expect more defined hair. Sometimes wavy hair is just that, wavy hair.
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Connoisseur
    Some people do have amazing transformations. Check the before and after tread for wavies on here.

Before I started CG, I was 2A. 2 years later, I'm still pretty much 2A/2B. My hair is a lot healthier and shinier. My frizz factor has also been reduced.

My advice is to go in with no expectations on getting curlier, instead go for healthy hair that you know how to style well. :)
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Some do especially if they were really abusing it previously. 2 a/b types like me seem to just...get better. And speaking personally I just finally learned how to do something with hair that just did whatever unless I kept it 3 inches long. I think mainly it gets healthier and you learn techniques for encouraging it to be it's best.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    CG helps bring out the natural curl/wave of your hair. So, if you don't have a lot, if you're already at your curl potential, it won't make you curlier, if that makes sense. But many of us don't start out at our curl potential, so our curls/waves really come out with the CG method.

I thought I was a fuzzy 2a all my life. On CG I learned I'm actually a full 2c when I diffuse, and a more mellow 2b with 2c bits if I airdry.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Oo lucky you. I'm more and more. Just 2a but every once in a blue moon a sprout a spiral somewhere.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    I knew my hair had wave to it, but never realized it was actually curly until a couple of years ago when my Daughter suggested that I use the beach wave products as a means to control frizz (aka genetic "poof factor" in my family). I tried them and got A LOT of waves and curls. Enchanted, I kept using them...NOT a good idea as they ended up drying out my hair horrendously.

Since embracing the CG method, my hair is getting curlier and curlier. Curly Q's and spirals have sprouted to the extent that it's like having someone else's hair on my head. I suspect that now, for the first time in my Life, I have happy hair and its joy is obvious!

I feel guilty, for truly my crowning glory was bullied and abused for the majority of its life.
    :argue:
    I'm now focusing on listening to it. We couldn't be happier! While we are definitely in the honeymoon stage (I've only been at this for a couple of months although I did stop using heat and chemicals over 2 years ago when my hair started fighting back from the abuse.), the wondrous results of our union are readily apparent.
  • WeathercurlWeathercurl Registered Users Posts: 228
    I think the CG method has a lot of useful techniques for anyone, regardless of hair texture. Staying away from harsh shampoos and avoiding damaging heat styling makes anyone's hair healthier in the long run. Whether you become "curlier" will depend on several factors. If, like me, you were blow drying your "straight but frizzy" hair for years and had no idea you actually had wavy hair, then going CG will reveal waves and possibly curls that you didn't know you had. But it's more a matter of enhancing your true curl pattern rather than changing it to a different one. A lot of us have discovered to our surprise that we have a wavy or curly curl type when we changed the way we treat our hair.

Having said that, there are many CG recommendations (products or techniques) that get promoted here for curly hair that do not work for me and make my hair limp and less curly. Wavy hair like mine can look very curly, but heavy butters and oils or layers of product do not work at all for me. You have to experiment with things for a while to figure out what your hair really is and what type of curl pattern you have. If you are a wavy, you will need to modify many CG methods to better suit your particular hair. You may discover curlier hair, but even if you don't you will probably have prettier, healthier hair.
    2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
    Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012

Current rotation:
    cowash= TN
    AG Gel Mousse, LA Gel,
    DT = Coconut oil (love)
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm excited to see what happens :)
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file