Wavy hair is becoming more curly/losing definition? Help?

amtsergamtserg Registered Users Posts: 52
I used to be able to braid my wet hair at night and be totally fine with the result that came out in the morning (loved it, in fact), but now my waves are clumping differently (into smaller sections) and more tightly. What is happening?

The recent changes I have made to my hair routine have been
-shampooing only once/twice a week instead of three times
-using a different conditioner (Neutrogena Triple Moisture) along with a my regular daily Aussie deep conditioner
-cut about 3.5-4 inches off

This is also a really recent change. As in, happened immediately after the changes to my hair routine occurred.
(essentially, I want to find out what to change back, so my hair will return to normal.)

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Why don't you try changing back one thing at a time? So switch back to just your old conditioner for a while, and see if that solves it. If not, go back to your former cleansing routine and see if that makes a difference. Hair can curl up more after it's been cut, but I'm not aware of reduced length clumping differently. I will say though that after I had a few inches cut off several months ago, my hair clumped and curled strangely for about a week before settling down.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    maybe your hair is becoming more moisturized. you are shampooing less often.
    many of us started out as wavies but once on our cg journey we discovered that our hair is actually curly, usually 3a. our hair just needed moisture.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • livingbcof316livingbcof316 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Hmmm... I sort of had the same problem with my hair last year while it was transitioning to the CG method. I was using all different kinds of products and shampoos/conditioners, which was probably part of it. Occasionally, I still get kind of "stringy" curls - and I've found that the way I apply products (how wet I leave my hair before applying, how much product I use, and whether or not I use a comb) is usually what causes it. If you haven't already, you might check out the ice-queen method - it's been a huge help for my curl definition!

This is a comparison of my hair last year (notice the curls were smaller and tighter but stringy-er)/and this year:
    2014-04-19_0001.jpg
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    livingbcof316 gorgeous hair and color!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list