Longest lasting deposit-only semi-permanent hair colors?

dontbrushmicurldontbrushmicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
I'm a long-time henna user (10+ years), and due to some scalp issues, am considering switching to a semi-permanent dye of a similar color. My scalp issue is that I have seborrheic dermatitis, and I think the henna powder is exacerbating my scalp buildup. No amount of mermaid washing, co-washing, or T/Sal washing can get my scalp free of brown buildup for a couple of weeks after I henna. (Sorry, gross.) The longer I go since I've hennaed, the less scalp buildup I have. I also have a lot of shedding that may be due to it. I've used henna for so long it's hard for me to know what my scalp would be like without it.

So, I'd like to try out semi-permanent color for a while (of course, I'll patch-test first). My hair is naturally dark brown with about 10% gray, and the henna tints my brown hair dark reddish and turns my grays bright red. This is exactly the color I am hoping to keep up!

Before discovering henna, I was trying to get that effect with semi-permanent colors and liked Special Effects Blood Red best. It lasted much longer than Manic Panic and was a darker red on me. My hair is dark enough that it is really hard to get them to show up. Back then, I didn't have any gray, but now I suspect that using one of those "outrageous" colors would make my grays neon pink.

I'm looking for a semi-permanent that has no peroxide or ammonia (no mixing with developers), that will be bold enough to show up on my dark hair and tint my grays, and that will last as long as possible. I'm hoping to go a month between colorings so my poor scalp can be left alone for a bit! I live in the US and am hoping for something I can get on the ground, like at Sally's.

From my research on this site and Sally's, I've found a couple of products I'm interested in vetting (feel free to suggest others): Ion Color Brilliance Semi-Permanent, Clairol Beautiful Collection, Bigen Semi-Perm, or Silk Elements.

TIA!
Fine 2A, medium to low density, dandruff-prone, currently CBL, aiming for BSL

Co-wash: YTC Scalp Relief, VO5 Extra Body
Leave-in: GVP The Cream, VO5 Extra Body
Pre poo: TJ's coconut oil
Poo (once per week): L'Oreal Kids Strawberry, Nizoral, T/Sal
DT/PT (once per week): GVP K-Pac mixed with GVP CB.
Color: henna demigloss (40 grams henna, dye released, mixed with 1/4 cup GVP CB)

Modified CG since July 2013

Comments

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Although it is sold mostly online, the best I've ever used (and still use!) is Color by Robert Craig.

Hair Color, Hair Care and The No More Bad Hair Days Kit by Robert Craig Salon Products, Ltd.

Hair Color

I'm thinking an auburn or mahogany might work for you. But since you've used henna, I would call them and talk to Robert Craig or Trish and find out if it's safe. Yes, RC will take calls, he's wonderful! Tell him CurliLocks (Sherri) sent you. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • dontbrushmicurldontbrushmicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks Curlilocks! It sounds like RC's been really great for you! I'm a little concerned about it since I read that it has sodium perborate, which creates peroxide when you mix it with water. I don't doubt that it's a great solution for many people's hair, but I'd like to try the gentlest possible solution first, given my scalp issues.

I'm starting to think I'm asking for the impossible, though. Please, more people weigh in! I could use all the help I could get!

I'm thinking about trying the Bigen Semi-Perm, since it seems to be marketed towards AA and Asian hair. I'm white, but I'm thinking those might give good coverage on my dark hair. Anyone have experience with these other colors?

I'm also wondering if anyone else has experienced the henna scalp buildup I mentioned above. It seems like the vast majority of people with scalp issues find that henna helps their hair. I'm not sure if the henna is making my SD worse, but it's definitely not helping!

Color: henna demigloss (40 grams henna, dye released, mixed with 1/4 cup GVP CB)

Thanks Curlilocks! It sounds like RC's been really great for you! I'm a little concerned about it since I read that it has sodium perborate, which creates peroxide when you mix it with water. I don't doubt that it's a great solution for many people's hair, but I'd like to try the gentlest possible solution first, given my scalp issues.

I'm starting to think I'm asking for the impossible, though. Please, more people weigh in! I could use all the help I could get!

I'm thinking about trying the Bigen Semi-Perm, since it seems to be marketed towards AA and Asian hair. I'm white, but I'm thinking those might give good coverage on my dark hair. Anyone have experience with these other colors?

I'm also wondering if anyone else has experienced the henna scalp buildup I mentioned above. It seems like the vast majority of people with scalp issues find that henna helps their hair. I'm not sure if the henna is making my SD worse, but it's definitely not helping!

Um, Bigen has sodium perborate too! Check the ingredients. ;) They are similar although I can't vouch for how well (or not) Bigen works, only the RC. :) I only know RC is super gentle on the hair. It is non-lifting so it won't dry out your hair, and will not cause brassiness when it fades.
  • dontbrushmicurldontbrushmicurl Posts: 6Registered Users
    Bigen makes two products, a powdered permanent dye that has sodium perborate and high levels of PPDs, which sounds pretty nasty :P, and a semi-permanent deposit-only, which is a liquid.

After more internet research, I'm leaning towards Adore semi-perms. Hair dye forums seem to point to them being highly pigmented and long lasting: Adore Bases (photo). Has anyone used them? I'm thinking a "Raging Red" or "Intense Red."

• cubancurlscubancurls Posts: 101Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlilocks, have you tried RC in #19 (light golden blonde)? My is about a level 4, with level 9 and 10 highlights. I have heavy gray growing in on my temple area so I'd like to cover those and turn them into 'highlights' with the RC 19. My question is will it cover darker then shown in the swatch?
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 153Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just thought I'd name drop a few newer semi permanent brands that have launched. Clairol and  Wella have both came out with semi permanent lines. Just thought I'd toss a couple more your way to research, but I can't give any recommendations due to lack of experience with what you are looking for.
    curlilocks, have you tried RC in #19 (light golden blonde)? My is about a level 4, with level 9 and 10 highlights. I have heavy gray growing in on my temple area so I'd like to cover those and turn them into 'highlights' with the RC 19. My question is will it cover darker then shown in the swatch?
    Hi cubancurls!  I'm thinking that #19 might be a bit light all on its own. I just replied to your email, I'm glad you found me! After responding, I came here to see this. I didn't realize you have very light highlights, so the #19 or even #18 might work for you! :)
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    I may be no help but I have my hair colored every 2 months in the salon with Redken Shades EQ Demi-perm.  My hair is increasingly greying in the front, and they sit me under the dryer which the heat seals it in and makes it like permanent.
    My hair is very fine, my stylist tells me if I had medium to coarser hair she would have to use a permanent color to cover the amount of grey I have.  The Redken Shades is very gentle.  Years ago I used to use Clairol Loving Care(discontinued) and then Natural Instincts, but I hardly had any grey then. the Loving Care was great,(I think the Beautiful is what it's been replaced with) but it doesn't last long enough.  I think the Shades is more gentle than the Natural Instinct, which is also a demi-perm.
    I have been looking at the Robert Craig, too, and if I ever have to go DIY I might consider that.  She colors me all over brunette, but I have had highlights as well which we colored over.
    I was considering henna, but these days I just have too much grey and it would be difficult to get the brunette I'm looking for on my own,or to even just let the silvers come in someday.

I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 584Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Check out this thread

https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/41979/anyone-with-gray-hair-use-a-violet-shampoo#latest

@jeepcurlygurl is using a product by Overtone that deposits color in a conditioner.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file