CG and Silicones

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey!

So I'm wanting to start CG... Got some DevaCurl products to try and washed last night with SheaMoisture Moisture Retention Shampoo... Only thing is, I've been using MoroccanOil products and I noticed today they have silicones. I read somewhere that only sulfates remove silicones, so do I need to get/use a sulfate shampoo to completely rid my hair of silicones?

Thanks!!!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Precisely which MoroccanOil products have you used, and exactly which SheaMoisture Shampoo do you have? Many cones can be removed with the right non-sulfate surfactants, but in order to be able to say yea or nea, somebody with the right knowledge and/or lists will need to be able to tell exactly which ones were involved, and whether they respond to that detergents in that particular poo.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    If your hair has been looking or feeling dry lately despite the 'cones then you may have buildup and it might be necessary to shampoo, otherwise not really. When I first started CG 12 years ago I just jumped right in and what really did me in was the Suave COs I used, but a "Lemon-aid" (lemon juice mixed with the CO) removed it right up.

Also, a not very well-known fact is that when 'cones are in a product that contains oils they are less likely to "stick" so hard, they are easier to rinse out, so these days I don't worry if one day I use a product with a 'cone, in fact, one of my fave COs has dimethicone and when I noticed that I stopped using it just "because" but it was not doing anything "bad" to my hair, so I recently bought it again because I have the habit of rotating my COs so it doesn't even have a chance to try to buildup.

One other thing I forgot, years ago I found an excellent article by Aveda (that's no longer available) which explained how the solvents in eo's would break down 'cones, they even had a special blend of essential oils (EOs) in a "carrier oil" for "detoxing" the hair, so I made my own blend at home and successfully used it on a cousin of mine. But
    there are COs at health food stores (and even other stores) with natural ingredients that usually include one or more EOs so using one regularly would actually prevent the occasional 'cone or two from causing any buildup.
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the tips! The SheaMoisture shampoo I've been using is Shea Moisture Retention shampoo. And I think I have read that about cones in oils... But just want to be careful!

Also, just found out that my deep conditioner has cones in it, too.... So I'm gonna need a new one of those too!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In the Curly Girl Handbook, it does not say anywhere that you need to do a sulfate wash before starting. Being that you have the Devacurl products now, you should be able to use the No Poo cleanser and just start the routine described in the book. Lorraine recommends in the book using a non-sudsing cleanser in place of shampoo in the same frequency that you would normally to start. So if you normally shampoo daily, then you'd use No-Poo (or a similar product) daily. Some people need to No Poo more often at first (like if they have more build up) and then decrease frequency of cleansing to only a few times per week, if that. So that means (at least to me) that a non-sudsing cleanser will remove the build up of previously used products. It may take longer than if you clarified with a foaming shampoo but it will work. The Devacurl No Poo product has cleansing agents in there also that will remove silicones so it should be fine to use frequently without worrying if the silcones are gone.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file