Waves vs. Protective up-do question

flightyspriteflightysprite Registered Users Posts: 12
I am also a member on the longhair community because I am trying to grow my hair long again (slightly longer even than I had before). There is strong encouragement over there for wearing hear up in a bun or similar style for protection so that it grows out healthy. To me, this seems counterintuitive to the whole point of having long hair (for me, that is, i don't speak for others).

My question for you guys here relates to maintaining waves (or curls) in long hair. What's the point of going through all the effort to maintain curls at any cost (CO washing, no combing, plopping, etc) if you have to wear it up most of the time in order to "keep it safe"? I want healthy looking long hair, but does this mean that I can rarely show off my waves? I can't just put my hair up for a while for a windy day and expect to come indoors and let it down to the way it looked before. A bun will completely reshape my hair into a subtle wave pattern.

Is this of those have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too sort of issues? Meaning, if I want wavier/curlier hair do I have to have short(er) hair? And if I want long hair should I just forget about maintaining my waves most of the time except for special occasions?

Are there any protective 'dos that are better for maintaining natural wave/curl patters than others?

Comments

• JimipeJimipe Registered Users Posts: 276
    I think it depends on how fragile the hair is and how much you need to struggle to get it long. I just cut three inches off as I want to get rid of the colour damaged parts within time... But before that it was hip length when wet and when I used to wear braids and buns all the time that was definitely harder on my hair than wearing it out as I've been now. There is however issues with it, you need to make sure it does not get caught in things and damaged that way.

There are good protective styles but you will need to change between them. and make sure it is not too much pressure on your roots. And honestly, as long as your hair is not too long for it to be practical to wear out I see no reason to not wear it out at least every now and then. It's all about what your hair prefers.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Connoisseur
    I haven't experience this as I wear my hair down 90% of the time (mostly just because it's easy!), but I've heard that if you pull your hair tight/flat against your hair too often in a ponytail, bun, etc. that it can stretch out your wave/curl pattern on the top few inches of hair.

So when I pull my hair back in a ponytail. I tilt my head back and let my hair fall naturally and gather it into a ponytail. In my opinion, it makes for a much more flattering style too. The hair isn't pulled back tight, so it's not so harsh.

I do put my hair into protective style at night while I sleep or when it's really windy--usually a braid of some sort.

My general opinion about the whole thing is what's the point of having long, beautiful hair if no one ever sees it?? Do what you want, it's your hair. :)
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • dixygirldixygirl Banned Users Posts: 279
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xGa-DYYWS3w
    you can set like she does except wind the 2 braids into one bun as a protective style.
    When you take it down, voila...waves!
    Or set your bun on top w/ hair sticks/scrunci for a Victoria Secret model look upon take down
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GRzAcnhS53c
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    I've decided on a compromise. On wash day, and usually second day, I wear my hair down. On days 3 and 4, I wear it up or braided. By then my waves aren't looking their best anyway. This way my hair is protected a percentage of the time, and I still get to enjoy it down when it's looking its best. If I'm going out in crazy wind or other bad weather, I typically put it up to avoid the damage of tangling.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • flightyspriteflightysprite Registered Users Posts: 12
    Meh, I dunno why I even care so much. But thanks for the ideas everyone. :)

I guess I hate that so many of the longhair people think that I'm a moron or a silly uneducated noob if I don't want to put my hair up. But you are right it is my hair and I don't need to conform to anyones 'right way'

I've grown my hair long before without ever putting it up except when I doing chores. I feel like I do more mechanical damage putting it up than leaving it alone. I usually pin a small section from each side in a single pin in the back and this is enough to keep the wind from blowing it everywhere since the side pieces hold down some of the length.

Any anyway, Im trying to leave my waves alone, not smoosh them up in a bun or brush them all flat or frizzy. :)
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,145 Curl Neophyte
    Meh, I dunno why I even care so much. But thanks for the ideas everyone. :)

I guess I hate that so many of the longhair people think that I'm a moron or a silly uneducated noob if I don't want to put my hair up. But you are right it is my hair and I don't need to conform to anyones 'right way'

I've grown my hair long before without ever putting it up except when I doing chores. I feel like I do more mechanical damage putting it up than leaving it alone. I usually pin a small section from each side in a single pin in the back and this is enough to keep the wind from blowing it everywhere since the side pieces hold down some of the length.

Any anyway, Im trying to leave my waves alone, not smoosh them up in a bun or brush them all flat or frizzy. :)

Plenty of people have grown their hair long while wearing it down. Definitely don't think you're doing anything wrong. :) I think many of the people who cling to protective styles had trouble retaining length, and they experienced the most improvement this way. As long as you are happy with the way your hair looks and how it's growing, that's all that counts. :)
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file