What color foundation?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I need advice. I am having trouble finding a good foundation. I have very fair skin with a warm undertone and freckles which are morphing into age spots.

When my very pale skin is matched, I look like a ghost with freckles. If a darker warmer foundation is used, it looks too yellow. One dept. store associate said I should try to find a foundation in between the pale and darker so that the freckles/age spots would blend in.

Do you think that sounds like a good solution? Suggestions welcome for brands and types (liquid, creme, stick?). I need coverage so tinted foundation isn't for me. I used to have oily skin but now that I am older it is just "normal." My nose seems to get shiny no matter what I use.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm the same.. I'm very pale, and foundations that match make me look even more pale, like I'm sick. I found that mixing the one that matches with a darker one works for me. I ran out of the darker, so now I just use a bronzer for some color - so that's an option as well.

I love Sappho foundation. You can get samples of colors to see what's right for you. Good coverage, but light. Natural ingredients, and it smells lovely!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm also on the pale side. I match my foundation to my skin tone and then use bronzer to make my skin look more alive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sixe and Corinna - thank you! I don't see Sappho in NYC - and I wouldn't buy it without getting a sample, so that won't work unfortunately.

Good suggestion about the bronzer! Which brand of bronzer do you recommend?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    Super-super pale here. Yes, I look even paler with the correct colour on, but that can easily be fixed with some rouge and mascara. :) I don't use bronzer as they never look anything close to natural one me.

For foundation colours, I love MAC. All other foundations I've tried are either too dark or too yellow...
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
    Hi Jimipe. Do you know if MAC ever gives samples or has a return policy? Thanks for your input!
    MAC is a brand, not a store etc, even though they have flag ship stores, so I cannot comment on store policies. However, I know that they in general always are willing to let you test the products so you can easily get some there and then wear it during the day, go out in the sun light etc. I always do so before buying things that need skin colour matching because it's so hard to see that t actually matches right then and there.

Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Thanks for input, Jimipe. I actually did exactly that yesterday. I tried Studio Fix in NW 15 which was what the very nice sales person recommended.

Ouch! I looked like someone threw coral orange paint on my face. Clearly she made a mistake. She was very young - perhaps inexperienced or maybe it was the lighting. I must be nc. On the other hand I loved the finish of the Studio Fix, exactly what I wanted. I'll go to Bloomies or some other Mac place and try Studio Fix in NC 15. I'm on the right track now, and will try out bronzers after I get the right color SF. Thanks to all! :icescream:

ETA: Or maybe I just need a lighter color than 15. I find the designations of nw nc, etc. very confusing. My skin is very light, quite neutral, slight warm undertone. Anybody understand nc nw etc.? I read up on them but there are conflicting explanations. I'm sure I'll get it right eventually.
    The names are weird. NC means neutral-cold and NW means neutral-warm. However the NC is more yellow and the NW is the more pink. Don't ask me way.

With regards to products. I love the Studio Fix line. The only thing that actuall y is still on my face by the end of the day. The foundation is however a step darker than the powder and the concealer. I wear NW15 in the concealer and powder but NW12 in the foundation. Could probably go a step lighter when I am the palest though but it is a happy medium. Lasts forever as well.

It might also be worth to notice that originally (or at least when I started wearing MAC) the 15 was the lightest colour. So, it took until fairly recently til I had a foundation. I think they go down to 5 at least now?

Oh, and sorry. I wear Pro Longwear concealer and foundation but Studio Fix powder. I think they are all good. :)

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CP, i wear NC15 in the winter and NC20 in the summer - in the fall, i mix them to get the right shade.

MAC sales people used to tell me that i was an NW and i always HATED how it looked and finally insisted on switching shades (about 15 years ago).

i've also had good luck with L'Oreal True Match W1 or W2.

eta. instead of blush or bronzer, i use Mineralize Skin Finish. the one i have is a discontinued shade called Redhead, i don't know what i'll do when i can't find more from sellers on Specktra! :)
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Sixe and Corinna - thank you! I don't see Sappho in NYC - and I wouldn't buy it without getting a sample, so that won't work unfortunately.

You get this online, and can purchase samples online. That's how I got my color - from the samples. I love this stuff. But if you'd rather buy it in a store, then I completely understand.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Hi Sixe - that will work perfectly. I will buy samples online - I just didn't realize I could do that.

Cheers:occasion9:
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I should have seen this thread first before I asked you a question about foundation in the Chanel thread. Did you look at the Chanel Vitalumiere? It's supposed to be the best when it comes to undertones. They have selections for warm and cool.

ETA: Wrong on that!! It's the Perfection Lumiere that has the widest range of undertones. The Vitalumiere is all warm undertones. Good for you, not so good for me. :( I ended up going with the VItalumiere Aqua*

The new Perfection Velvet is also supposed to be geared more toward fair complexions with warm undertones.

There are some Bobbi Brown foundations I would love to try but hers are geared more toward warm undertones and I am fair with cool undertones. You might want to look at hers.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Clinique Even Better (along with a couple others) and Estee Lauder Double Wear and Double Wear Light (which I like better) have good selections in their tones and undertones. Both will usually do a sample for you.

I know it can be a pain. There are numerous brands out there that focus on tone and undertones or just undertones. It takes a lot of research to know where to look.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file