Disaster in the 'Kitchen'

stephieltaylorstephieltaylor Posts: 8Registered Users
I am having issues. Major issues! I have been growing my hair non-permed for two years. Ignored for a year, and cared for it starting last year. I started out with it nearly shaved, so it is not long and I don't expect it to be, especially with all the breakage from my first year... HOWEVER! There is no excuse for the back of my hair to be as short as it is! It's literally two inches max.

Has anyone had this multiple texture/ no-growth problem I'm having? What did you do about it?

I also think I may have a hormone imbalance, so if anyone has had this issue, I'd love to know how it affected your hair growth.

Comments

• stephieltaylorstephieltaylor Posts: 8Registered Users
    I am having problems uploading pictures...
    2nimlbc.jpg

2ebae4m.jpg
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You really need to see a dermatologist/trichologist to confirm you haven't got damaged hair follicles there especially as the rest of your hair is growing.

Other than that post your exact routine including products and tools you use on your head.

BTW your hair DOESN'T look a mess from the front, sides and back. I only worked out what you were complaining about when you put that you had an issue in the back and most hair lines are lower.
    Sorry my picture is out of control big. Lol I don't have much of a routine to speak of. I make a gel and wear that sometimes
    and use conditioner mixed with honey sometimes..Keeps my hair moistutized for a while in this weather. I wash my hair with apple cider vinegar and baking soda, but I just started doing this some months ago.

In the first year I wore under fake hair a lot. I often wet the hair and didn't take the hair off my head. Have you seen fungal infections do this?

I have to wait for my insurance to begin to go to the dermatologist.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would use manufactured products that don't contain sulphates to cleanse your hair and scalp because ACV is highly acidic and baking soda is a very strong alkaline.

That way you will definitely not be irritating your scalp in any way.

Plus when you wash your hair and touch your scalp be gentle.

Edited to say: It could be a fungal infection, it could be due to your previous wig wearing, it could be stress or it could be something else. You need to get some one to examin your scalp to see what the likely cause is.
    Thanks, Blueblood, for your suggestions! Maybe I'll hold off on the acv right now.

I agree there's no way to tell without the derm visit. It is just in the most annoying spot! I have scoured the Internet and I am not finding much about others with problems in that area. I have seen some crown area breakage but not to this extent. It is especially bad when I want to stretch the hair. Or define it. I can define the hair in the front but there are no curls to define in the back. And of course I want all my hair to be healthy.

What has made somewhat of a difference is moisture. Before that area was extremely rough and now it is softer, though still breaking and growing out rough.

I'd still love to hear from anyone who had/has

area specific breakage
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with Blueblood in recommending your seeing your doctor. However, I think it's important to note that you're not complaining about bald patches, but hair breakage. It's also in an area which is known to be subject to lots of friction from rubbing against clothing and bedding, causing knotting and breakage. I've had it too, but to a really minor extent.

Definitely stop the baking soda, which can be very damaging, and acv, which could be. I personally recommend the Curly Girl method, which helps protect your hair from damage from chemicals, heat, loss of moisture, and mechanical stress. I recommend your getting a copy of Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here). You can learn a lot here, but it really helps to have the book.

One simple thing you can do to protect your hair in "the kitchen" is to wear a silk scarf inside collars of your clothing and to cover your pillow or hair at night. It doesn't have to be expensive. You can get a nice silk scarf (that you can dye with KoolAid, if you want) from Dharma Trading Co. for as little as $1.39, which also has silk pillowcases for $14.29. NAYY, just an extremely happy customer of many years: their service is super fast, and the shipping charges are really low.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file