Not a newbie, just returning after a LONG time!

Hi, I used to be a "regular" here quite a few years ago, like about from '02 ot '06 and during that time I had 2 different nicknames, can't even remember the first one but my last one was "HalfWavyHalfCurly" and because it's been so long I couldn't return with that nor re-register with it soooooo I had to choose a new one, since I was born and raised in the Dominican Republic I chose something related and this one was the one that was not already taken.

I first embraced my curls around 1988 or '89 when a stylist asked why I chemically straightened my hair when other women were paying $85 to get what I had, and I felt really silly because at home I'd been using small rollers or finger waves to recurl my hair to match the curly styles of the late 80s, so I stopped the mild chemical straightener I'd been using and even airdryed most of the time, although I styled the top and front of my hair either with a curling iron or rollers. At the time I lived in DE and the low humidity worked with my wavy hair, then in '97 I moved to S. FL and BAM! Big shock! My hair did not want to behave and the cut I'd had for several years (sort of like a mullet) stopped working for me. I even ended up chemically straightening my hair one more time but it damaged my hair considerably so even though I continued to be tempted due to not knowing how to control my hair, I didn't do it again.

I tried all sorts of things, even a "naturally" curly style with gel but I could only make that last one day so it wasn't practical and just when I was again losing my mind because of color-damaged hair and semi-straight hair that would quickly frizz in the S. Florida high humidity I found the book "Curly Girl" at a Books-A-Million and that saved my hair. I had my mishaps at first due to using the wrong COs for my hair but when I switched to a "natural" one that really agreed with my hair I was hooked. I did become a PJ for a while but eventually settled for a few "holy grails" and have been happy with my curls ever since.

In '00 I received my Cosmetology license in FL but due to health problems I never worked, instead, I became sort of an "expert" on the CG routine and gave lots of advice to countless women here for about 4 years... then burned out and left...

But I recently saw that an article I wrote back then is still on here and that made me feel good. And - confession - since I've been a bit bored lately I thought I'd come back and see if I can help a few other curlies and maybe even learn a thing or two myself.

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hello welcome back!
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Posts: 1,073Banned Users
    Thank you! I had a problem with the nickname I chose because it already existed (and the system apparently got confused...), so I had to re-register...
    Joined Curltalk 1st time in early '02 shortly after starting CG. I'm a non-practicing Cosmetologist.
    Hair: color-treated, mostly 3A.
    CO-wash: VO5 K&L
    RO: SpaHaus Salon w/OO, VO5 Shea Cashmere, W.R. Trop. Coconut, Daily Defense Moisturizing & others.
    LI: Beautiful Curls w/Shea Butter & C.O., Hollywood Beauty OO Creme, VO5 K&L, Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer.
    Gels: LAL Wet Look, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Oils: Jojoba, EVCO & Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome back. It's always nice to see experienced curlies who have been having success for so long. I certainly wish I'd come across the CG book sooner.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    It's too bad that your health issues don't let you work! Welcome back. (:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file