product suggestions?

frizzywavyfrizzywavy Registered Users Posts: 3
hey!

I have 2b hair, with medium density and medium porosity (little to no heat damage and I don't color my hair). It's fairly long, bra strap length (more manageable that way).

For shampoo and conditioner, I tend to stay away from silicones and sulfates as they just seem to make my hair seem frizzy and dry.

I recently have been experimenting with curl creams and mousses. It was a suggestion to use these two together by someone in a thread I posted in my introduction. I'm trying to get rid of excess frizz, and create more definition.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good set of curl creams and mousses that work together and get rid of frizz without weighing my hair down?

p.s. Oils weigh my hair down, however shea butter seems okay in small amounts.

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    I also don't do oils; they weight my finer-than-average hair down and my skin doesn't like them either. So I pretty well stick to drugstore items, and read labels really carefully. But my hair seems to do ok with polyquats for hold (not everyone's does, you can read plenty about it on this site)

My porosity is also on the higher side of normal, so I don't do humectants in anything outside of normal dew points (40-60 - the Frizz Forecast is my friend and you can access it from the naturallycurly.com home page).

I really like mousses though - easy to distribute and all that. I find that I need to use more than I think I do.

This winter I had a lot of luck with Suave's Professional Volumizing mousse (silver can with a purple cap). It isn't loaded with humectants, but does have protein. The only thing I don't like about it is that Target stopped stocking it in my area, so you might have to hunt for it if it interests you.

In normal dew points HETT mousse is my go-to, provided that I use enough of it. I can always find a coupon for it and it's constantly on sale somewhere. My hair reacts well to propylene glycol and HETT has a lot of it.

I also have a love-hate relationship with the Clairol 3-in-1 that comes in the white and purple can; this can be hard to find in some places, has a water soluble cone, and is super cheap. Sometimes it works really well for me and sometimes it doesn't - but I tend to like it in high dew points in the summer or when I am traveling.

There are others I want to try, but I think I need to blow through some things I have stocked away first!

I haven't found too many curl creams that work well for me yet, but I do make my own flax seed gel which acts as a curl enhancer, just a very basic recipe of 1/4 c. flax seeds to 2 c. water (read about FSG here. [I add gelatin to mine since my hair loves collagen and sometimes aloe in warmer weather, but that's about it.] It plays nicely with everything but that Clairol 3-in-1, for some reason I don't get great results when I pair FSG with Clairol. Mostly I'll use a mousse by itself but put FSG under any gel I am experimenting with.

Lots and lots of threads and reviews around here, enjoy looking about, and welcome aboard :blah5:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • WavyWendaWavyWenda Registered Users Posts: 29
    Have you tried AG REcoil for a curl creme? It is silicone-free, which is hard to find in an affordable curl creme. It worked really well (enhanced curl and clumping, reduced frizz) for my daughter's medium density 2C/3A hair, until she hit about 12 and her hair has since gotten MUCH coarser, and curlier, and the REcoil does nothing. My hair is super-fine, so the REcoil tends to make it too soft. Note: you have to use a TINY amount of this stuff, so although it is about $20 a bottle, it lasts for a long time.

I personally love the Herbal Essences curl-enhancing mousse. It is silicone-free, cheap, and does the job for me. I sometimes also use a bit of Got2Be Kinkier spray gel for added hold/curl enhancement, especially on day 2 (or 3).
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Deva Frizz Free Foam and Jessicurl Spiralicious are a great combo.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    frizzywavy wrote: »
    hey!

I have 2b hair, with medium density and medium porosity (little to no heat damage and I don't color my hair). It's fairly long, bra strap length (more manageable that way).

For shampoo and conditioner, I tend to stay away from silicones and sulfates as they just seem to make my hair seem frizzy and dry.

I recently have been experimenting with curl creams and mousses. It was a suggestion to use these two together by someone in a thread I posted in my introduction. I'm trying to get rid of excess frizz, and create more definition.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good set of curl creams and mousses that work together and get rid of frizz without weighing my hair down?

p.s. Oils weigh my hair down, however shea butter seems okay in small amounts.

Besides not having dry hair, or overconditioned hair, you may best be off with a gel rather than curl cream or mousses. A good starter gel is FSG, which you can make yourself or order from Sweet Curls Elixirs. Many layer gels, using a lighter hold jelly (like FSG) underneath a hard hold gel (like LA Looks Sports Gel).

You'll want to avoid potent humectants in high dews in leave-on products such as leave-in conditioner and gels.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list