Adding protein to stylers

RisingMoonRisingMoon Registered Users Posts: 81
If I wanted to add protein to my favorite styler, KCCC or AIA Curling Jelly for example, is it better you add it to the whole jar or a drop or mix on a per usage basis?
2C waves with a little 3A thrown in for fun, medium density, on the course side hair (IMO--will have stylist confirm at some point.) Still trying to work on porosity- have characteristics of both high and low :thumbdown:

Polyquats are terrible. I seems to be able to tolerate butters and oils in the most sparing amounts as long as I low-poo frequently.

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Better to add it as you use it. Adding to the entire jar could upset the preservative balance and allow bacteria /germs /mold to grow.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low /medium porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure
    CO: As I Am
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
  • cherryredcurlycherryredcurly Registered Users Posts: 38
    is it the same with gelatine? I`ll think of to add these to my gel... it works in FSG but i didn`t like to use 2 Gels per Routine, and it tangles the back of my hair.
    medium density, medium-high porosity, 2c/3a Curls, bright cherry red, growing out damage

low-poo: Sante shampoo brillant jojoba care
    treatments: diy PT`s
    Conditioner/leave-in: TBS Rainforest Condi`s & pure gelatin
    styling: 4naturals spring back curling custard
    SOTS with a tiny little bit of coconut oil

*don`t like polyquats, glycerine, silicones & too much oil

fotki: http://public.fotki.com/cherryredcurly/my-first-album/
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, same with gelatin. Adding to a pre-made product most always has the potential to upset the preservative balance and allow microbes to flourish. Water based additives are more problematic than a pure oil or butter would be, although those would tend to overwhelm the emulsifier (cause the product to separate), depending on the amount.

IAGirl (Science-y Hairblog) does have a recipe for a protein boosted conditioner which calls for adding gelatin to it, but in this recipe, you make up a single use batch at a time. I will say I made a 2 use batch of this and stored in my refrigerator for a week without noticing any "off" smell or texture, however that doesn't mean it didn't have any microbial growth.

If you decide to add gelatin to your gel, you might make it separately and perhaps let it set up in an ice cube tray (on the counter or in the fridge). Put enough in each cube for a single use, then store. When you're ready to use, drop a cube in a Ziploc bag, seal, and let it warm up on your shower floor while you wash. By the time you're done it should be liquefied enough to add to your gel for the day.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low /medium porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure
    CO: As I Am
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
  • cherryredcurlycherryredcurly Registered Users Posts: 38
    Thanks for your answer this helps me a lot :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using CurlTalk App
    medium density, medium-high porosity, 2c/3a Curls, bright cherry red, growing out damage

low-poo: Sante shampoo brillant jojoba care
    treatments: diy PT`s
    Conditioner/leave-in: TBS Rainforest Condi`s & pure gelatin
    styling: 4naturals spring back curling custard
    SOTS with a tiny little bit of coconut oil

*don`t like polyquats, glycerine, silicones & too much oil

fotki: http://public.fotki.com/cherryredcurly/my-first-album/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file