Split ends and "holes" in the middle of a strand???

Angeline314Angeline314 Registered Users Posts: 15
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1396208147.072611.jpg so here is one awful triple split end... I dust once a month though! How could that happen?
Also, I notice that some of my strands have a big hole very far from the end (like 4"). The hair splits into two for a 1/4" and then the end of this hair is perfect... It is awful because cutting 4" of hair is a lot!
How can I prevent this?

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    What do you use to detangle? How do you detangle?
  • WaveliciousWavelicious Registered Users Posts: 73
    Do you use heat? when you said hole it made me think of "bubble hair" caused by flat irons etc.
    🐾
  • Angeline314Angeline314 Registered Users Posts: 15
    No i don't... I use heat only twice a year or so. I detangle with a lot of conditionner. That's it.
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    If you are cutting your hair yourself make sure you are using hair scissors on hair only. Dull scissors can cause splits.

Next, you won't be able to permanently repair this type of damage but you can start incorporating protein products or protein treatments to see if this gets better. Then you can cut as you grow.

Thirdly make sure you have proper moisture- lack of it can cause damage. If you don't already, try deep treatments at least once a month or up to weekly. Definitely apply conditioner of some sort after you do a protein treatment.

Finally, you could examine your habits to make sure you are as gentle as possible when handling your hair. Things like making sure you detangle from the ends to the roots, protecting your hair at night, or making sections to wash and style.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
    No i don't... I use heat only twice a year or so. I detangle with a lot of conditionner. That's it.

Some curlies find if they detangle with a brush e.g. dennman, tangle teazer or even combs, regardless of whether they have conditioner in their hair they get these splits.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    How is your diet? It seems like you might have a vitamin deficiency and need more protein in your diet especially if you're not using excessive heat or chemical processes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Thank you for all these answers! It gives me some ideas to work on. It could be many of these: diet, deep condition, sleeping on a silk pillow..
    By the way, about the diet, what do you advise? Is there something i should eat more of? I try to eat a minimum of 10 fruits and veggies per day and drink a lot of water.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    sounds like your on the right track. I would suggest using hot oil treatments, it so long as the oil does good for your hair, it doesnt matter what you use. I love coconut and argan, i use avacado and grapeseed oil... i have a massive collection. you just have to make your mixture, heat the oil till its warm and apply through your hair. Leave it in for a bit, at least an hour, or over night, and wash it out. try to do it once a week. It doesnt really fix the splits, though it helps strengthen the hair after you do it for awhile.
    As of the the diat, maybe more light protiens would be good, and lots of green leafy veggies are perfect. you could try taking msn or biotion that helps with growing and making the hair healthier as well.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
    Thank you for all these answers! It gives me some ideas to work on. It could be many of these: diet, deep condition, sleeping on a silk pillow..
    By the way, about the diet, what do you advise? Is there something i should eat more of? I try to eat a minimum of 10 fruits and veggies per day and drink a lot of water.

In terms of diet try and cut out the junk. Eat lean protein with each meal and ensure you eat some oily fish and nuts reguarly.

I personally would not supplement any random vitamin or mineral without being tested as you can easily screw up your body as vitamins and minerals act together in groups.

Plus apart from high doses of some vitamins and minerals being toxic i.e. Vitamin A, iron, taking one vitamin could hide a deficiency in another e.g. B12 and B9.

In addition you could be deficient in a vitamin or mineral people don't commonly associate with healthy hair.

So unless you have other health symptoms eating a healthy diet and going outside in the sunlight for a few minutes per day is the best way to get all the nutrients you need.
    I agree with previous posters about the diet. Salmon, chicken, beans, and hummus are also good sources of protein. You may also need more B vitamins. Can you go to your doctor and get tested for deficiencies? Do the ends of your hair feel a lot drier or different than the first three inches of hair closest to the roots?

My roots are in tip top shape so my ends definitely feels drier.
    I have never really done oil treatments. I will try. I know my hair really likes deep conditioner.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    You can easily get more protein in your diet by adding peanuts & almonds to your salads. I do this with my grandmother & she loves it. Peanuts & cheese wedges make a great healthy snack. Filling too. You can also pre-poo with oils by putting the oils on your dry hair & sleeping with a plastic cap. Or putting the oil under your deep condition.
    I don't know if protein is good for my hair... I had tried a protein mask once that my hair feel awful and I haven't done it this since. Is it possible I had put too much product then?
    And now i only diy my products or get super natural and organic hair products...
    I don't know if protein is good for my hair... I had tried a protein mask once that my hair feel awful and I haven't done it this since. Is it possible I had put too much product then?
    And now i only diy my products or get super natural and organic hair products...

It may be that your hair in a healthy state doesn't require protein added to it. However you always need protein in your diet, as well as healthy fats. My hair can't tolerate protein treatments but my body needs a lot of protein in my diet. It sounds like once your at a comfortable length with the healthy hair you might just need to cut off the rest of the damaged hair.

I'll try and eat more proteins then.. Hopefully it will help!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file