Questions about protein rinse-out

FimuFimu Registered Users Posts: 322 Curl Novice
--

Comments

• CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    I see no one answered this one but in case you're still interested, or anyone else, I'll take a "stab" at it.

The best thing IMO is to rotate types of protein, but if you don't have another one it's ok to use the same one even several weeks in a row if your hair showed the need for protein, which is the case with either fine, color-treated hair or hair that had been chemically processed or heat styled regularly for a while. The condition of your hair should tell you when it's had enough, in other words, if you go one week from great hair to hair that's feeling a little rough and/or dry, it's time to stop.

When using just a RO I don't think it's absolutely necessary to use a moisturizing DT as most ROs also contain moisturizers.
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Registered Users Posts: 450 Curl Neophyte
    Awesome! That answered a similar question I had. I just got Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner and used it this morning. Left it on for a couple minutes in the shower and then rinsed it out. I followed up with Aubrey Organics Replenishing Conditioner and KCKT on my ends.

My hair felt GREAT afterwards (meaning, I shouldn't have been afraid of protein!). So I guess my thing is how often can/should I use it? Also, I got Shea Moisture's new smoothing masque which contain small amounts of hydrolized protein as well.

I'm still new to this protein thing so any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • CGSince2002CGSince2002 Banned Users Posts: 1,073
    I don't think anyone can give you an accurate answer, every head of hair is different so at best it would be a guess and most people could only use themselves as example.

So, I'll just say that in my case, I use a RO
    or LI with protein every time co-wash or rinse my hair except right after I color my hair (because it can leach out pigment), but the following time I'll probably use a LI with protein because color-treated hair (or hair that's been processed in any way) needs it. I also have fine hair so for me there has never been "too much".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file