What do you think of this conditioner?

I'm trying to avoid cones, drying products, and overall anything that would be bad for my hair. Also, I don't want anything too moisturizing because my hair gets easily over-conditioned. I just bought this conditioner: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean conditioner. It says it is silicone, paraben, and dye free. I want to check with you ladies before I use it to see if I missed anything. It looks okay I think but it has a lot of bad reviews and I'm not sure why. Here is the ingredient list:

Water (Aqua) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Distearoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate , Octyldodecanol , Zea MaysCorn Starch , Parfum (Fragrance) , Pyrus Malus (Apple Fruit Extract) , Camelina SativaSeed Oil , Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Kernel Oil) , Glycine Soja (Soybean Oil) , Tocopherol , Caprylyl Glycol , Benzoic Acid , Niacinamide , Pyridoxine HCI , Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride , Linalool , Hexylcinnamal , Citric Acid , Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane)Sugar Cane Extract , Citrus Medica LimonumLemon Peel Extract , Camellia Sinenis (Green Tea)Leaf Extract , Malpighia Punicifolia (Acerola Cherry)Acerola Fruit Extract
3b, corkicelli curls, low porosity, normal/high density, medium-coarse strands

SL - APL - BSL - MBL

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's CG friendly, no "bad" ingredients. I haven't read through the reviews, but I used to use it to cowash. I've also tried it as a RO and a leave in conditioner. It's ok, I guess, but has little to no slip unless you really use a lot of it. Also, it's just not all that moisturizing. My hair gets overconditioned easily, so I tend to do more protein, lighter conditioners, but this wouldn't be my choice for a "moisturizing" conditioner either. It didn't do anything "bad" to my hair, but it didn't do anything really "good" either.

As a RO, I had to really slather it on in order to detangle, and my hair typically doesn't get all that tangled in the first place. It almost seemed to create tangles, if I'd already detangled during my cowash step. As a leave in, it left me frizzy unless I slathered it on, and then my hair felt producty /coated when it dried. I attribute that to the high level of cornstarch in it.

I do sort of like it as a summer cowash, strictly on the scalp, when it feels extra gunky, but I have to use a slippier cowash on the length. Used then, the cornstarch in it seems to give more of a "scrubby" effect than a more slippy conditioner (VO5 or Suave Naturals). Overall, I don't like Pure Clean enough to repurchase, even for strictly summer use.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sugar Cane Extract is Glycolic Acid. I am not sure why that would be in a hair product but you may want to be aware of that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • MeeBeeMeeBee Posts: 128Registered Users
    Sugar Cane Extract is Glycolic Acid. I am not sure why that would be in a hair product but you may want to be aware of that.

What's wrong with glycolic acid?
    2C/3A, high porosity, low density, fine-medium

Low Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Clarify: Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying, KCCC
    RO/CoWash: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    LI: KCKT
    Stylers: AG re:coil, AG Beach Bomb, Mop Top Light Hold Anti-Frizz Gel, LA Looks Xtreme Sport
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatin treatment (awesome!)

Hair LOVES proteins!
  • ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    MeeBee wrote: »

What's wrong with glycolic acid?

I don't know what glycolic acid would do to hair. I remember reading somewhere that salicylic acid wasn't good for hair; not sure if this translates over to glycolic acid.

What I do know is that in this formulation, considering how low of the amount of the extract is I wouldn't worry about it. Even if this conditioner's pH was 3 (which I highly doubt) there still wouldn't be enough free acid value to make any difference what-so-ever.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Glycolic acid is an AHA. Used in small amounts, the skin does pretty well with it but higher percentages of glycolic acid are used for "peels". It's a 'chemical peel' type of product for the skin and breaks down the top layer of skin.

Glycolic Acid Skin Benefits - What is Glycolic Acid and How Should I Use It?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    Glycolic acid is an AHA. Used in small amounts, the skin does pretty well with it but higher percentages of glycolic acid are used for "peels". It's a 'chemical peel' type of product for the skin and breaks down the top layer of skin.

Glycolic Acid Skin Benefits - What is Glycolic Acid and How Should I Use It?

That's a good article on it effects on skin. However the information is basic and slightly misleading.

When it comes to acid products the total percentage means nothing. It's the free acid value that really determines just how effective the product would be. This means one has to know the pH of the product. Typically cream formulations have a higher pH while liquid formulations tend to be lower, though I have seen liquid formulations with a higher pH as well specifically sold to be more gentle. Especially with Salicylic Acid solutions.

For example: a product with a total of 10% GA with a pH of 4 is actually less effective than a product with only a total of 8% GA with a pH of 2. The 10% formulation has a less overall free acid value than the 8% formulation.

About Acids...

Of course, this is all about skin and hair's needs differ from skin. Despite this apparently GA can have some good effects on hair.

Determining the Effects of Glycolic Acid in Hair Care Products

I still somewhat doubt the results since the company who makes the solution is who sponsored the study that the article is taking its information from.
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    EWG's Skin Deep Database is usually fairly alarmist in terms of safety concerns, and it doesn't raise any red flags about the Sugarcane Extract. It also doesn't list glycolic acid as an equivalent name for that ingredient. SACCHARUM OFFICINARUM (SUGAR CANE) EXTRACT || Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | Environmental Working Group

Neither does Paula Begoun. sugarcane extract - Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary: Cosmetics Cop Expert Advice

I wouldn't have any qualms about using something containing sugarcane extract, but to each their own.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • WaveliciousWavelicious Posts: 73Registered Users
    @Entangled I used this everyday for months along with the gel from that line. I'm not gonna buy it again, but it was great for coming back to CG. it doesn't have like, ANY slip or really anything in it that's really beneficial for the hair, but if anything's gonna keep your hair clean & help with the transition that's just a conditioner it's this. never had any build up & I always left a palm full in for a leave in under the gel. I'd recommend it for anyone just starting out or coming back.

🐾
    🐾

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file