Devacare line doesn`t hold my curls well

Hello lovelies,

I use the complete Devacare line (no-poo, one c, arcangell, set it free & believe in) for about a week, tried different methods, but nothing works really well to hold my curls.
My hair is fine to medium, medium density, medium to high porous and i have a curls mix from 2c-3a. I tried also to only co-wash with the one c but that didn`t made a difference. Right after my hair is fully dry, it looks very beautiful, but soon in about 2 hours my curls getting limpy and the definition is gone, also there are some frizz on my head. Shine is there and stays, my hair feels soft and good, thats the only positive point i can find by now.

is it to rich for me? or has anybody else that problem??
I`m doing cg for 4 weeks now
medium density, medium-high porosity, 2c/3a Curls, bright cherry red, growing out damage

low-poo: Sante shampoo brillant jojoba care
treatments: diy PT`s
Conditioner/leave-in: TBS Rainforest Condi`s & pure gelatin
styling: 4naturals spring back curling custard
SOTS with a tiny little bit of coconut oil

*don`t like polyquats, glycerine, silicones & too much oil

fotki: http://public.fotki.com/cherryredcurly/my-first-album/

Comments

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you applying the B'Leave In separately? IME it works best in scant quantities, and mixed with my gel prior to application.

Try doing without the Set It Free. When you SOTC, do it with a scant amount of ArcAngel distributed on both hands. That should help preserve your curls and prevent frizz, while still leaving your hair soft.

If that helps, but doesn't resolve the problem, try LowPoo.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • OhSunshinex3OhSunshinex3 Posts: 74Registered Users
    DevaCurl tends to be a hit or miss in the CurlyGirl community. I find that the One Condition tends to make my hair slightly frizzy sometimes. I don't use any of the oher products listed but I do use the Ultra Defining Gel and that gives me good hold but AnGel is a light hold gel so maybe that's why you don't get great results. I recommend adding some other brands into your routine. I find the DevaCurl products work best for me when I use them with other brands.

• cherryredcurlycherryredcurly Posts: 38Registered Users
    Thanks ladies for your opinions!

If that may help: before deva i used the body shop rainforest moisture conditioner (cg-friendly) and once a week the low-poo from that line (rainforest moisture shampoo). None of them contents polyquads, maybe this is the case?
    I did a search on curltalk and found out that devacare has polyquads in the no-poo and arcangell, so maybe do i have a build up? My hair gets easily weighted down.

Because of what you said, i think i try to wash my hair with the body shop low-poo and give the one c another chance, because i cant see any polyquads in there. Would also mix my devacurl ultra gel with flaxseed gel.. hope this works!

Does a low poo work to get rid of the polyquats? Or should i take a sulfate shampoo?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using CurlTalk App
    medium density, medium-high porosity, 2c/3a Curls, bright cherry red, growing out damage

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Deva products only work for me in higher dew points. In the low dew points my hair is a dry, limp, frizzy mess. If your dews are still low right now, try again when they are up - I bet you might like them more. They contain a buttload of glycerin.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never had a problem with the Deva line, although there are a couple of products I stay away from.

I've also never noticed the slightest problem with polyquats. I was already using them with great results and no difficulties, and couldn't see borrowing trouble back when they came up as an issue. For me they come out easily with a low-poo, or even a cheap co-wash.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Oh sixelamy thanks i didnt know about that, actually the dew point is around 1-3 thats really low.. saw this for the first time. Weather is nice, sunny and blue sky in Switzerland by now. The weather changes a lot here, april is the worst month, from snow to summer days, nothing's impossible. Humidy is still over 50% in the next day.. should i use humectants?

This whole cg thing has a lot of learning to know science *lol*

• WaveliciousWavelicious Posts: 73Registered Users
    anyone know what's the difference between the two conditioners in the line? I saw them at Ulta today but didn't know which one would be better.
    🐾
    Oh sixelamy thanks i didnt know about that, actually the dew point is around 1-3 thats really low.. saw this for the first time. Weather is nice, sunny and blue sky in Switzerland by now. The weather changes a lot here, april is the worst month, from snow to summer days, nothing's impossible. Humidy is still over 50% in the next day.. should i use humectants?

This whole cg thing has a lot of learning to know science *lol*

Humidity is different than the dew point. It sounds like this may be why you are having trouble with it. Keep an eye on your dew points and see if that helps.
    anyone know what's the difference between the two conditioners in the line? I saw them at Ulta today but didn't know which one would be better.

The DevaCare is meant for color treated hair. It has orange peel wax in it, that was the biggest difference that I saw. I prefer the DevaCurl without the wax, it worked better for me. (and my hair was color treated)
    ok, i did a shopping trip on the web and ordered 2 different conditioners withhout humectants and a gel without any humectant but with strong hold. i got them all three in my country! So Yes!!!!!! :wav: :lol:

the conditioners are faith in nature and the gel is 4 naturals. I hope this will work. The dew points wouldn`t go up the next time and i can`t handle that frizzy hair anymore. I washed it with a low-poo to get rid of the polyquats (i hope so). The Curls are good now, springy and fresh, but the frizz drives me nuts!
    i will keep devacare on the bath shelf for higher dew points. Its still a great product, it just didn`t work in that climate for me.

ok, i experimented with a lot of products, leave the devacare all out, leave only the oneC in my routine, use the no-poo and other conditioners... nothing really works. I also did low-poo but that just did nothing. My curls dont curl up like they did in the first few cg-washes. I do know that i need a lot of protein, so i have to do a PT in the next days. Dew points are around 30-40, i think this should go with the devacare line? or is this still to low?

my curls didn`t change in any way the last 3 weeks, i even lost my very curly curls in the front of my face :cry:

here you see my curls from the second cg-wash to now:

Photo: after1monthcg | my Curls album | Cherryredcurly | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

The way I understand it, glycerin should be used when dews reach over 40. 30-40 is iffy.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If my hair acts completely wonky for no discernible reason and nothing helps I clarify it. Usually works.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think many of us curlies started out like you did, purchasing a slew of Deva products, or a starter pack. Unfortunately they dont work for everyone, and in fact, there are probably better products out there for almost everyone, and cheaper. I think "Deva Disillusionment" is probably pretty rampant.

I do like the Deva Foam, but more for a bit of volume at the crown.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file