Poll: your routine

bananersbananers Registered Users Posts: 10
1. What do you use in place of shampoo?
2. What do you use to condition, and do you rinse it out?
3. What's your typical styling method?
4. Do you touch-up during the day, and if so, how?

I'm fairly new to CG and very new to these boards, but I thought I could learn about products and styling tips from you veterans. I'm still trying to learn all the abbreviations, so try not to use too many in your answers! :wink:

Okay, here are my answers:
V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Conditioner
2. What do you use to condition and do you rinse it out?
Same as above. I rinse completely, but I'll sometimes apply a little extra to the ends after I've rinsed.
3. What's your typical styling method and what other product(s) do you use?
While my hair is still sopping wet, I give myself a mini-part in the front just off to one side and shape the curls framing my face (those are the ones that are the most unpredictable if I let them do what they want). Then I flip my head upside down and blot/scrunch with a towel, trying not to separate the "clumps" too much. When my head is about as dry as I can get it without making it too frizzy I spray my head with Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel and clip the roots up to give the top of my hair some volume. I give my curls one last spot check/finger shaping and then I try not to touch it again until it's dry (that's the hardest part for me!) or it gets frizzy.
I usually just wet my hands and scrunch a little if I need some oomph. Sometimes I'll spray a little more spray gel on, but that can sometimes make it crunchy.
2B/3A, currently on the CG routine

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl No Poo[/buylink]

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One Condition[/buylink]. Activate Hydrating Condish and Kenra Moisturizing Condish have also worked well for me this winter. I rinse it all out.

After rinsing my condish, I use a honey rinse (about 1 tablespoon of honey mixed with a coffee-mug full of water, I pour it over my head and don't rinse it out). I scrunch a bit of the water out, then I divide my hair into pigtails. I apply my products in three sections- the top of my head and on each pigtail. I mix a pea-sized blob of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] with Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana leave-in, apply them to each section, then apply Biosilk Rock Hard Gel. (In humid weather I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] instead of the leave-in, and I apply it before the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink], instead of mixing the two). I flip upside down and scrunch my hair with a microfiber towel. When I get out of the shower I flip rightside up, and use claw clips at my roots. I go about the rest of my morning routine- get dressed, put on makeup, etc- then remove the clips. Then I tousle my hair from underneath, leaning from side to side and also flipping upside down. I fluff it up a little but don't touch too much! Once it's dry I scrunch out the crunch, and I usually do the upside down tousling a little more.

Not usually. If I'm going out in the evening and want to revive my curls, I usually wet my hands and apply a bit of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] till my hair's damp, then do the tousling thing again.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • CurlyQTPieCurlyQTPie Registered Users Posts: 447
    VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream Condish

VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream, DevaCare OneC, Burts Bees Shine, Trader Joe's Refreshing Conditioner. I'm actually looking for my HG.

After a cold rinse upside down, I scrunch in a leave-in (right now it's GF C&S) followed by either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Jessicurl CCSS[/buylink] and RR and then maybe some Tightly Wound. Another option is after-leave in scrunching in LOOB and then following with Tightly Wound. Another option is Deva OneC on sopping wet hair followed by Angell. After whatever products, I am trying to force myself to plop for about 5 - 15 mins and then I'm done until dry.

Once my hair is dry I scrunch it. I have to do this in order for my hair to look good. If not, it seems to look product heavy and I don't have a lot of volume.
    [/b]
    3B with some 3a. Fell off but am now back on the CG bandwagon and looking for my HG products.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    Sulfate free shampoo once a week
    brown sugar scrub with cowash conditioner halfway through the week
    cowash conditioner on other days

matching CG friendly conditioner once a week
    cowash conditioner; yes

scalp wash (rinse warm), condition and detangle (rinse cool), leave in coconut oil, smooth in gel and air dry

not really.. if I need to, I get my hands wet and smooth/lightly scrunch my hair
    3b-3c CG
  • anadandyanadandy Registered Users Posts: 7
    V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Conditioner

V05 Sunkissed Raspberry, Suave Coconut. I usually rinse it out because my hair is fine and if I don't it weighs down my curl.

Blot dry with towel (no rubbing). Flip head upside down, scrunch gel then "plop" in a cloth diaper (birdseye cotton) for 20 minutes or so. Then air dry. Winter I tend to do my hair at night because I have to get up really early and wait at the bustop in the morning - so I don't want frozen hair

No, but I am notoriously anti-girly this way :) Second day hair I either spritz and scrunch with water or just wet my hands and scrunch.
    Type 3b, fine/medium texture, normal porosity.
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    1. What do you use in place of shampoo? Freeman's Papaya and Awapuhi condish (contains coco betaine), and Nature's Gate Awapuhi condish

2. What do you use to condition, and do you rinse it out? Nature's Gate AWapuhi condish, I leave about 25-30% in

3. What's your typical styling method? On COwash days: CO with either the Freeman's or the NG, alternating every week (I only CO once a week). On days that I condition (always after a COwash, and one or two other days), I put on enough to give my hair good slip. I use a shower comb to help better distribute the conditioner. I rinse my hair out upside down, leaving about 25-30% condish in, then smooth in Dep Texture gel, then scrunch in another dab of gel, making sure the gel is worked evenly though my hair. Plop for either 10 minutes or an hour, anywhere in between or longer is recipe for disaster for my hair. Either air dry or pixiecurl difuse depending on the temp. that day.

4. Do you touch-up during the day, and if so, how? Not usually, but if I really need to (and I rarely ever have to), I'll spray lavender water with a little bit of jojoba oil onto my hair and re-scrunch.[/b]
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • entipyentipy Registered Users Posts: 126
    I use any of several flavors of VO5 or Suave Naturals conditioners. My favorites so far are VO5 Kiwi Lime, Strawberries & Cream, and the Tea Therapy.

Same as above. I rinse some but not all of it. I'm not sure how much, really. I do it until it "feels" right to me.

I'm flipped upside down throughout most of my styling process. LOL. Most of the time I scrunch gel into soaking wet hair and make sure it's distributed well. Then I scrunch dry some with a regular towel (the microfiber actually makes me frizz worse when I use it for that - go figure), flip upright and shake my head a bit to make the curls fall into place. Then I scrunch the back and sides into shape, flip over and scrunch the top a bit more. Then I diffuse on low-medium heat, low power, mostly using the 'pixiecurl' method until almost all the way dry. Then I leave it alone while I put on make-up, get dressed, etc. After that, I scrunch out the crunch, try (in vain, usually) to arrange the curls on my head, and go. Sometimes during the dripping wet part - before and after the gel - I will use a wide-tooth comb. I did that this morning, and it worked well.

Sometimes, yes. I use a combination of a homemade spray gel and water mixed with conditioner. I either spritz my hands and crunch (gel) or spritz my hair then crunch (water/conditioner). I still haven't made any of the lavender spray, but I want to.
    I have very fine 3A hair!
    My Home Page: http://www.nookra.com
    My Curls: http://flickr.com/photos/entipy/sets/72157594546464041/
  • tschocktschock Registered Users Posts: 101
    A variety of VO5 and Suave conditioners; sometimes [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva NoPoo[/buylink]

Lately I've been using GF C&S Rinse Out Conditioner and the new Vive Pro for curly hair. I also use Deva OneC conditioner sometimes, too. I rinse them out totally and then use GF C&S Leave-in with a few drops of jojoba oil mixed in.

I put the leave-in with jojoba oil into very wet hair and then plop in a MF turban for about 15-20 minutes. Then I scrunch in gel. My favorites are Aussie TnF and L'oreal Tightly Wound. In the winter I diffuse dry (until about 75% dry) and in the summer I air dry.

I don't usually touch up during the day, but if I do I use few drops of jojoba oil.
    2c, thick & coarse
    Inverted curly bob
    Modified CG
  • CurlyCaseyCurlyCasey Registered Users Posts: 224
    I actually do use shampoo, but it has no lauryl/laureth sulfates in it.

I use Avalon Organics Clarifying Conditioner and Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner.

On the first day I shampoo with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, then I condition with Nature's Gate Herbal. I comb my hair with a wide-tooth comb while the conditioner is in, then I rinse it out. I wrap my head upside-down in a towel (is this pineapple-ing?) just to get the excess water out, then I take it off and comb again. I part it off-center and twist random pieces in my fingers to set the ringlets. On the second and third days after shampooing I use the Clarifying Conditioner instead of shampoo, then I follow with the Herbal, and I do the same routine every day. I don't really use any products, except occasionally on the shampoo day with some Kiehl's thing my mom has. It doesn't have any 'cones and I just apply it to the crown where I get the most frizz. Since using the sulfate-free shampoo my curls have been more defined, and I get almost no frizz. I have baby fine hair with mostly ringlets so it frizzes easily. I don't really have great pictures, but I will soon.

I don't, usually. Honestly, I'm too lazy, and I just end up wetting my hair with water and re-styling it if I absolutely have to. And that's only if I'm going out at night after I've been at school all day. Usually it stays pretty well. Unless my best guy friend thinks it's funny to put his hand on my head and rub it around.

Edit: here are the pictures! http://public.fotki.com/iseelondon2008/nc-hair-pics/
    3a/3b mix of ringlets and spiral curls
    BWC Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Conditioner,
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner,
    ***Aloe Vera Gel***
    Simplicity is best, at least for my hair. I co-wash every two days or so with the BWC and use the AOHR as a rinse-out when I need moisture. On other days, I just water wash, and I use AV gel every day to style. I air-dry and don't brush or comb my hair.

• KaterinaKaterina Registered Users Posts: 117
    I use a Nature's Gate conditioner in place of shampoo. I use Burt's Bees conditioner and I just barely rinse it. To style, I put aloe vera gel and maybe some honey in my hair while it's still sopping wet. I plop it for about 30 minutes, use the towel to shape while it's drying or use the diffuser if I'm blow-drying. I usually touch-up at least twice in the day, with either a spritzing of water or water/avg combo. The water-gel combo gives me crunch, but I just break the crunch.

bananers wrote:

I'm fairly new to CG and very new to these boards, but I thought I could learn about products and styling tips from you veterans. I'm still trying to learn all the abbreviations, so try not to use too many in your answers! :wink:

Okay, here are my answers:
    V05 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Conditioner
    Same as above. I rinse completely, but I'll sometimes apply a little extra to the ends after I've rinsed.
    While my hair is still sopping wet, I give myself a mini-part in the front just off to one side and shape the curls framing my face (those are the ones that are the most unpredictable if I let them do what they want). Then I flip my head upside down and blot/scrunch with a towel, trying not to separate the "clumps" too much. When my head is about as dry as I can get it without making it too frizzy I spray my head with Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray Gel and clip the roots up to give the top of my hair some volume. I give my curls one last spot check/finger shaping and then I try not to touch it again until it's dry (that's the hardest part for me!) or it gets frizzy.
    I usually just wet my hands and scrunch a little if I need some oomph. Sometimes I'll spray a little more spray gel on, but that can sometimes make it crunchy.
    fine, wavy hair with lazy waves. Sometimes lanky spiral curls underneath when the weath is very humid. My waves are capricious like me! Presently using Burt's Bees condish, FOTE AVG with honey or Mop Top gel.
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Registered Users Posts: 545
    TJ Nourish Condish or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl NoPoo[/buylink]
    Jessicurl TooShea- only rinse slightly to rewet. (my hair soaks up TS like a sponge)
    While upside down, still in the shower-- I rake in a mixture of leave-in (GF CnS or Aloeba), pink Boots, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] & water. I scrunch in gel (HE BE, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]Deva Angel[/buylink] or ArcAngel) with wet hands & scrunch out the water, use a MF towel to scrunch then plop with a tshirt- 15-20 min. Let it out, shake it around a bit then clip the top for volume. I use the vents in my car to dry it while I drive 40 minutes to work. Once at work, clips out, scrunch out the crunch, fluff the top & go in.
    Not usually. It's either good or bad- no in between. Good- I leave it alone & so as not to anger the hair gods. Bad- it goes in a clip or pony because once it's dry, there's very little I can do that doesn't cause extreme frizz.
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    A variety of VO5 conditioners but mostly Kiwi and Lime; occasionally Activate shampoo or Mop Top conditioner.

Either more of the same or Activate conditioner or whatever I'm currently experimenting with. I rinse it all out but not very carefully.

I scrunch in to soaking wet hair either a leave in or a curl cream, usually [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:Coil[/buylink], Curl Junkie Banana & Hibiscus or Coffee Coco or LOOB right now. Sometimes I scrunch in gel, right now I'm trying Mop Top, Aussie Volume and Tightly Wound. Not sure I like the Tightly Wound. Wrap hair in MF towel for 5-10 minutes then clip front back and let it air dry.

Rarely. If I do touch-up I just spray with water or a combination of water and Curl Junkie Curl Boost.

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Registered Users Posts: 727
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl No Poo[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl HCC[/buylink], Suave Naturals Aloe Condish

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One Condition[/buylink]. EMBC, Jessicurl Aloeba and B2B Pomegranite Condish. I rinse those out. Use GF Curl and Shine for leave in.

After rinsing my condish, I use about 1 tablespoon of GF C&S don't rinse it out. I scrunch a bit of the water out. I use 3 pea-sized blobs of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] (In humid weather I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] and I apply it before the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink]). I flip upside down and scrunch my hair with a microfiber towel. When I get out of the shower I flip rightside up, and use claw clips at my roots. I go about the rest of my morning routine- get dressed, put on makeup, etc- then remove the clips. Then I diffuse my hair from underneath, leaning from side to side and also flipping upside down. I fluff it up a little but don't touch too much! Once it's dry I scrunch out the crunch.

Not usually. But if want to revive my curls, I usually spray my hands with SIF, Mister Right or Jessicurl AIS and scrunch.

Sorry gemini - I plaguarized from your reply so I wouldn't have to type so much.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
  • tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    VO5 HoneyDew Melon Condish, VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream Condish

My Honey Child HoneyNutt Condish, DevaCare OneC, Jessicurl TooShea
    With my head flipped upside down, I rake/comb my condish to remove tangles, then I scrunch in a few more blobs onto my ends for clumps.
    I then honey-rinse about 70% of it out.

While hair is till soaking wet, with my head flipped upsidedown, I rake, then scrunch in some CK, then scrunch [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-BLeave-In-p-434.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-bleavein]B'Leave-In[/buylink], then scrunch some Back to Basics Curl Enhancing Gel. Next, I blot dry with a tee shirt, clip my hair at the roots for height, and air dry.

Once my hair is dry, I rub some shea butter between my palms and scrunch out any crunch, then smooth my hands lightly over my crown to avoid a potential halo of frizz.
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Registered Users Posts: 123

Any Conditioner that has no cones or anything else that will build up and cannot be removed without poo. As per CG book.

I use any conditioner that is moisturizing: Suave, Vo5, Elucense,
    Devacurl etc. The rinsing depends on how dry my hair may be at the time and exactly which cond. I am using, but I usually leave a lil in. As per CG book.

I style my hair exactly as it says too in CG book.

This is were my routine varies ever so slightly from the book. Most of the time I will refresh with Lavender Mist or spray gel as per the CG book, but other times if my hair is really dry I will refresh it with Cond & water mixed in a spray bottle as described in the CG book in the kids section.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • 2bforme2bforme Registered Users Posts: 81
    I rotate between Lo-poo and one of the clarifying VO5's. I'm thinking I am going to have to sulfate poo once a week because my hair is very fine but thick, and overconditions very easily, despite my CG efforts.
    I use the Curlisto Daily one, can't remember the exact name. This is MIGHTY FINE stuff. Weekly I use Jessicurl Too-shea, but I have to really careful with this as it will make my hair limp. I have to rinse that one completely. I rinse the Curlisto completely too, unless my hair is feeling a little dry.
    While I'm still in the shower, I flip my dripping head over and scrunch in some recoil, then some Herbal Essences totally twisted gel. Then I get out and plop. I leave the plop for about 5 mins, then either use my MF towel (though it's pretty soaked at this point) to dry further, or i'll use paper towels. I scrunch while drying. Then I let the whole thing dry without touching. I look like a freak till about ten oclock each day.

4. Do you touch up during the day and if so, how?
    Yep. Wayyy too much. Sometimes I use curl junkie booster, and sometimes Loreal TW. My curls are usually DNR though, so if it doesn't go right in the AM, I can pretty much forget it and all that I will do is make my hair look worse.
    You do not lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership. -Dwight Eisenhower
  • ColesColes Registered Users Posts: 19
    Fingers and warm water.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture or Aussie. I was using cholesterol but it left my hair really frizzy and dry.

I massage my scalp with an essential oil and begin the long adruous process of twisting my hair with lock and twist gel. When I'm lazy I just wear it in a free fro using parnevu hair creme.

4. Do you touch up during the day and if so, how?
    No touchups.

I've been reading alot of anti silicone posts. The stuff I use has it. And then there's that paraben problem. Ugh...
    we go forward we go back.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    1. What do you use in place of shampoo? Trader Joe Nourish. I still use shampoo (Mastey Traite) about every other week

Robert Craig conditioner and yes I rinse it thoroughly, but then add a dab as leave in or add Curl Junkie Hibiscus/Banana leave-in fine

3. What's your typical styling method? After washing/conditioning in the shower I -- rake in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/CURLS-Curls-Milkshake-p-884.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curls-Curls-Milkshake]Milkshake[/buylink] upside down from end to root and back, then same with Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic jelly. Then rake and shake right side up. Will blot with paper towel or plop with MF towel.

On Day 2 I stuff hair under a plastic cap while I shower to keep dry, then rub a dab of Set it Free/[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Cutie-Soft-Curls-and-Swirls-p-473.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-cutie-soft-curls-swirls]Soft Curls & Swirls[/buylink], scunci for 4-5 minutes, undo and fluff. And touch up the bangs with wet fingers and Confident Coils.

Once. When finished air-drying I rub a small dab of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]Devacurl Set it Free[/buylink] mixed with Blended Cutie Soft Curls & Swirts into hair, stretch hair back into a scrunci for 2 minutes, undo and fluff.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • wildsheepchasewildsheepchase Registered Users Posts: 161
    Wait a second... I have a question. From reading these previous responses, I'm getting a sense that people use two conditioners. Is that right? How come?

Here are my answers to the poll du jour:
    Conditioner.

Right now I'm using TJ's Nourish (with some Refresh thrown in to get rid of the stuff). I've been doing a lot of experimenting since I just started doing this a couple of months ago. Even though the Nourish isn't too bad, I'm probably going to keep experimenting around.

I've also sampled conditioners by Pureology (awesome!), Aveda's Be Curly (not awesome!), and CitruShine (awesome, but I don't think they make the formula I was using anymore).

I rinse until it feels right, which probably means there's still some there.

Condition hair in shower, but don't use a wide-toothed comb. Bend over and scrunch hair until it's not dripping. At some point later (immediately, or not-so-immediately), it's gel time. Get a teeny amount of gel, spread it around my hands, bend over, and scrunch my hair until my hands don't feel like they have gel on them. Air dry, or if it's cold or rainy that day (happens a lot here in the Pacific Northwest!), I'll use the diffuser, focusing on the roots, until it's about halfway dry. (I learned in an article about blow-drying that the roots take the longest to dry–so if you absolutely need to blowdry, focus on the roots.)

I also tried plopping for the first time a few days ago, and I really like that!

Ha! No. This whole CG routine has been the absolutely most thought/effort I've ever put into my hair. Touching up seems very "girly" to me, and I've always made an effort to not be girly. If it gets a little messed up, so be it. As I experiment with different conditioners and such, it's good to know how each "performs" or recovers from these messy hair situations.
  • curlyninercurlyniner Registered Users Posts: 130
    Here is mine, although it is still ever-changing...

Creme of Nature, if I feel like a need a poo. Otherwise VO5 kiwi & lime CO.

If I use the CoN, I don't need much CO - so usually some NG asian pear. If I wash with the VO5, I use Aussie 3MM. BUT, I am awaiting a shipment from CurlMart with Jessicurl TS and WDT! *checks mailbox*

I have no luck with not rinsing out conditioners, although (oddly enough) sometimes I'll use the same CO after I get out of the shower, as a leave-in, and it works fine. *shrug*

Lately I rake in GF C&S, comb thru, then scrunch in some HE SMU. I cannot NOT diffuse my hair. It is too thick and weighs itself down, even with plopping. So I diffuse to ~ 80-90% dry (the ends are dry but the roots are still pretty damp), then plop for anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour. This really seems to give the roots a bit of a lift. After I un-plop, I scrunch in some curl enhancer and lightly spritz with hairspray. However, my Curlmart order also has some CK, RR, and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] in it, so I'm guessing this all may change...*checks mailbox again*

Nope. I have never ever ever had luck with spraying anything in my hair after it's completely dry - that includes curl revivers, SIF, even regular ol' water. Everything makes my hair flat on the canopy, and stringy on the ends. I can get good 2nd day hair and decent enough 3rd day hair by pineappling at night. In the morning I take it down, shake it, and walk away.
    "Things are exactly as they should be, all evidence to the contrary."

password = niner

D4KAm4.png
  • SnoopyDroopyDrawersSnoopyDroopyDrawers Registered Users Posts: 1
    Aussie Three Minute Miracle Conditioner
    Same, and yes after two minutes
    Comb it out gently from the bottom up with a wide tooth comb, let it dry and only scrunch the top. At night I put just a little bit of coconut oil in my hair and go to sleep.
    A little water does the trick :)
  • violaviola Registered Users Posts: 224
    Most of the time, either Dessert Essence Tea tree oil conditioner, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Devacurl No Poo[/buylink], or just water and scalp scrub. Every now and then, something else makes it into the rotation, but it's usually Deva and/or something organic.

Either Devacare condition one, Aveda damage ready, or one of the various Nature's Gate conditioners -- for the price these are just the greatest deal.

Wide tooth comb through hair during conditioner only. Rinse conditioner. When done w/ shower, flip hair over while sopping wet, standing in shower. Lightly scrunch curls. Add gel while scrunching. The gel I use either Suave shaping gel #7 or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]Devacurl Angel[/buylink]l.
    (When I'm done with this bottle of Angell I'm going to switch to just suave, b/c it takes a lot of gel when applied to sopping wet hair!)
    While still standing in the shower I use a small MF towel to "blot" the ends of my hair. Then I flip back around, get out of shower, and add some Frizz control liqui-gel right-side up for a nice finishing touch. Air dry without fiddling! If it's <-10 degrees, I'll use a diffuser, but I don't let the diffuser itself or my hands touch my hair.

No. Unless it is sopping wet, any kind of styling or touching will just make my hair look worse and annoy me. The only thing I will do sometimes, if my hair gets on my nerves, is pin it up, but I would hardly call that a touch-up :)
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • sylviasylvia Registered Users Posts: 41

VO 5 Kiwi Lime Condish. ( I color my roots every 6 weeks and haircolor has surfectants in with it, doubles as clarifying for me)

Natures Gate Mandarin Orange and Salon Care Honey and Almond Conditioners. I add Honey and Almond Oil to the Salon Care when I need more conditioning.

Everything upside down. Wet hair, use Condish in soaking wet hair, detangle. Rinse 60 till 80 % out. Apply 2 globs of HE Set me up mousse . Plop for about 10 to 30 minutes. Take of towel and scrunch in a real generous amount of the mousse. Flip hair over, clip with bobbypins and let airdry.

No touch ups, just every once a while hang head upside down and fluff carefully from underneath.

currently using natures gate conditioner and herbal essences mousse and gel.
    On the CG regime since Jan 2004

password: konstanze
  • meriellynmeriellyn Registered Users Posts: 1,135
    American Crew Daily Co., Giovanni 50/50 'poo (sulfate-free), Activate 'poo (also sulfate free)... I rotate as necessary. Whatever my hair needs that day.

Most recently I've been using Aussie Moist with good results. My regulars are [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink], Giovanni 50/50 Co, Giovanni Tea Tree Co, Desert Essence Organics Italian Red Grape Co, Activate Co... again, whatever I need that day. Sometimes I add a little honey.
    I rinse out completely then use a leave-in.

Most recently it's been:
    Blot w/ towel, rake through a smidge of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink], comb through w/ wide toothed comb, part, rake through [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink], scrunch, flip, spray w/ HE SMU spray gel (back, scrunch, right, scrunch, left, scrunch, front, scrunch), plop into Turbie Twist towel for 3-5min (just enough time to get dry and apply lotion), scrunch just a tad w/ Turbie Twist, flip, check part, air dry.
    This is my injured-hand routine.
    I also have my longer-plop heavier-gel no-comb no-rake routine for more curls (wasn't working well for summer though and requires two hands) and paper towel blotting routine for in between.

No.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    WEN Fig cleansing conditioner or Robert Craig Conditioner or Trader Joe Nourish
    With WEN nothing and I rinse it out
    With RC, more RC and I rinseout then may use as leave in
    With TJ, Robert Craig as rinseout & leave in
    In shower on soaking wet hair, rake in a leave in then rake in gel, blot drippies with paper towels or MF towel. Hood dry if I have time, air dry if not.
    4. Do you touch-up during the day, and if so, how? After it's dry, I rub a little bit of Set it Free mixed with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Cutie-Soft-Curls-and-Swirls-p-473.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-cutie-soft-curls-swirls]Soft Curls & Swirls[/buylink], pull hair back for a couple of minutes to stretch/unscrunch, then fluff out.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mitabirdmitabird Registered Users Posts: 226 Curl Connoisseur
    Mainly No Poo and Burt Bee's Grapefruit and Sugar Beet conditioner

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One Condition[/buylink] and Activate Moisturizing Conditioner. I only rinse out if I'm not wearing my hair curly.

After detangling, I do my final rinse upside down.
    After I’m done rinsing, I gently scrunch out some excess water, smooth and scrunch gel (usually la looks mega mega gel, Chi Infra-gel or BRHG) to my mostly soaking wet hair.
    I plop with a cotton t-shirt for about 10-15 min (usually just long enough to lotion up, get dressed, etc.)
    I diffuse right after plopping for about 20 min (my hair is almost dry by then).
    My gel can make my hair crunchy, but once it’s completely dry, I scrunch out any crunch and I’m left with soft hair that has hold (which I definitely need or I’ll have fluffy, frizzy hair).

No, I just leave it alone.
    Western Pennsylvania

3b, medium textured, medium thickness, medium porosity, protein sensitive
    CG since 6/22/04

CO Washes: Suave Conditioners, Devacurl No Poo
    Conditioners: Trader Joe Nourish, GV Conditioning Balm, JC Too Shea
    Styling: Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Chi Infra Gel, GF Pure Clean Gel
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, Hask Henna & Placenta (every 3 mo)

Hair photos
    pw: manycurls
  • miralalunamiralaluna Registered Users Posts: 168
    Dr. Bronner's All One Liquid Castile Soap and/or Schwarzkopf Supersoft Jojoba Conditioner - either mixed together or separately to clean my scalp, although I have to apply the conditioner before the Castile Soap since the soap can dry the lengths of my hair.

I use the conditioner mentioned above. Yes, I do rinse it out, but not always entirely.

I drape my hair over either shoulder while it's still wet and wrap my towel around it in some sort of pigtail hat fashion :) Either that or plopping. Then I scrunch some gel into my hair.

Just to lessen frizz. I'll spray a water/conditioner mix on or smooth some coconut oil onto individual frizzy sections.
    Fine texture (I think?!), normal porosity
    No 'poo since May 2007

Current products (used only as & when required!):
    - Naked Sensitive Scalp conditioner
    - Shikakai powder
    - Jojoba oil

My Fotki - pw: curlywhirly
  • babydoll202k7babydoll202k7 Registered Users Posts: 88
    I use baking soda mixture to clarify and remove buildup every two weeks

for co washes i use Silk Effects Hair Mayonnaise and I do rinse it....i deep condition with Silk Effects Repair Masque after clarifying with baking soda

After rinsing out condish I scrunch garnier fructis soft curl cream on soaking wet hair and let it air dry

If I do a good job while its wet in styling it I usually dont have to touch up til the second day...then I wet frizzy areas and twirl them around my finger to bring back the smooth curls
    3C - No Relaxer since 8/06 - BC 7/07

http://public.fotki.com/babydoll202k7/
    Fotki Updated 12/08
  • babyd0llbabyd0ll Registered Users Posts: 1
    Suave Humectant or Tropical Coconut. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp[/buylink] on the ends.

Yes, if I plan on leaving it on I usually dab a little later.

wash and go for the past 6 months.

I try water but the hard water is killer. So I use Surge, Macadamia Nut Oil or scrunch with my mix of EO (lavendar,peppermint,ylang ylang,rosemary) in Herbal Oil[/b]
  • JamieVJamieV Registered Users Posts: 158
    I am new at this and still have not figured out a consistent plan yet but I thought what the heck, I will tell what I have been doing. And so far no greasy oily hair or scalp!

On the one or two days I co-wash I have used Low-Poo (just got it so only had a chance to use it once and loved it) or V-05 vitaburst or V-05 Tea therapy w/Camomile (don't have the bottle in front of me to put exact name) The other days, I just scrub with water then put conditioner in, finger comb and rinse it all out.

I have used the same V-05's and also [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One Condition[/buylink], which I rinse out. I do not leave any in.

I have been scrunching dry with a t-shirt. put gel in, then use a diffuser a little and then let it air dry (it takes me alllll day, but I am a stay at home mom so its ok) But if I do have somewhere to go, I diffuse more, but the curls don't look as pretty...or waves I should say. I don't have many real curls.

Usually to refresh my 'look' I dont re wet (unless it just looks really crappy) But when hair is dry, several times throughout the day, as needed, I will turn my head over and tossle at the roots and shake my head and flip it back up.
    2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file