Work just berated me over the phone for an injury.

sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
As some of you know, I just got a 2nd job giving massages at a spa about a month and a half ago. What happened this morning just completely ticked me off!!!

I have an old injury.. I herniated my disk in my lumbar spine a year ago. I could barely walk for 3 months, had to use those old people scooter carts at the store, and couldn't even take a full shower because I couldn't stand up for long. It was awful. It felt like my leg was going to literally snap off when getting in and out of the car. I literally thought that I was going to be disabled for the rest of my life.

3 months of physical therapy later, and it was getting sooo much better! I got to the point where I thought, hey, I can massage again! After 3 months shooting-down-the-leg-pain free, I figured I'd give it a shot and I got hired. My back would be very sore after a week's work, but it was nothing to be concerned about - I also have arthritis in my low back. The spine doc told me as long it's centralized, the pain I would experience is most likely from the arthritis, and any pain down the leg is from the disk.

Well, I worked on Thurs and they gave me somebody who wanted deep tissue, which I clearly don't do and they know this. But the girl thought my pressure would be ok, and that he didn't "need" deep tissue. Whatever. I worked as deep as I was able. I guess it was a bit too much. Fri my back hurt at my other job, but nothing that would prevent me from massaging.

I laid in bed about 9:30pm last night and I started getting a shooting pain down my leg. I waited to see if it would subside, and it really wasn't. Work closes at 10pm, and by the time I knew I needed to call them it was 10:20 - I tried calling but it was too late. WIth something like this, I wanted to speak to someone directly, instead of just leaving a message that they wouldn't get until morning anyway.

So I tried calling 3 or 4 times since 7:30 this morning and couldn't get through, because they hadn't turned on their phones yet. FInally got someone at 8, when my shift was supposed to start, and told her what was going on. She put me on hold, and had someone else talk to me. She pretty much yelled at me and berated me, and spit policies at me. She also told me they would take money out of my paycheck to pay for the clients I had today. When she asked if I wasn't coming in at all, she was all huffy and rude said ok, bye and hung up.

What would you do as an employee? If you were running a Massage business, would you expect your Massage Therapists to give massages when they are injured? Did I totally violate the call in policy like she claimed, even though I couldn't get ahold of anybody?

As a place of wellness, they certainly don't follow that through to their employees.

I sent an email straight to the owner about what went down, and said I was planning to put in my 2 week notice, or however long they would require... but considering the way that I was treated, I no longer wish to work for them. Did I do the right thing?
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I think putting in your notice is the right thing, doesn't sound like a good fit. I'm surprised they hired you though, knowing your past injuries.

As a manager, I also see there side of it though. If I have staff call out the morning of, it can really mess things up. I have clients that need to be seen today, and one of my staff calling in this morning 20 minutes before he was to start has really messed things up.

It means others are going to have to cover his work, or people will need to be rescheduled.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • sakiohmasakiohma Posts: 104Registered Users
    Things come up, sometimes at the last minute. Employee health is important. Employers should be prepared for this and she/he has was being very unprofessional to talk to you in such manner. I'd just leave. Especially since it was just a second job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
    TYPE 4 FINE/COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
    TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
    BC DATE: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
    7/23/13 :: SL
    1/9/14 :: CBL
    5/13/14 :: APL

I :love1:Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Camille Rose!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't understand why you gave your two week notice when you called the owner. Why didn't you just report the rude person who took your call & inform the owner that the call off procedure is inadequate?

Do you want the job or not?

Why let that person run you out of a job you want?

**** happens. Ppl get hurt, get sick, have car trouble, family emergencies, etc. The business should be able to allow for that (occasionally) w/o grinding to a halt.

I have two herniated discs & there are just some things I can't or won't do anymore. You gotta know your limitations. But that's a separate issue.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree you shouldn't have resigned immediately.

Only if it happened again should you have left.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Ugh their management sounds so unprofessional. Like no one has ever had to call in sick before. Yeah it sucks to have to find people to cover their shift or whatever but if someone is truly injured and comes in anyways, that opens management up to a lot of other problems a little farther down the line. Especially if they berated you into coming in.

Only you can say if you made the right decision, but I wouldn't want to work with people like that. And at this point, you've already put in your notice so I just say onward and upward. Now you can find a place that is more understanding of your situation.

My boyfriend works construction and he had strep throat a few weeks ago. His boss was super rude to him when he called in sick. It pissed me off but he didn't seem to care. Weird work dynamics.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I was going to quit anyway for the summer, because my other work schedule changed. I was hoping to ride it out for another month and a half. This job was making me exhausted, so no, I don't really want the job anymore. I didn't put my 2 weeks notice in, I put my notice in that I no longer want to work there anymore, like today. The supervisor wasn't at work at the time that I called, so I'm going to call back in a few minutes when she starts her shift and let them know.

I don't care who you are, I'm not letting anybody treat me like **** and then go and try to make money for them, especially if they are not my supervisor. F that. It's a second job that's not worth risking my health and energy, especially if being treated in such a manner. I drive a half hour to get there, and half the time I have 1 person on my schedule for the whole night. Not worth my freaking time and energy anymore.

I told myself if I ever felt anything remotely like the pain I used to have, that was the time I needed to stop. I stopped and it seems they don't give a crap about anybody. I do understand their side, don't get me wrong. But that's no excuse to go off on me like they did.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Sounds like you made the right decision, then. 8-)

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't understand why you couldn't contact anyone that late. Like direct by text or phone. Do they think people don't get sick after 10? And I've certainly had a masseuse cancel on me the day of so I do t think it's unheard of to reschedule.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You seem to have a really good head on your shoulders and I always seems to be on the same page as you and relate to you a lot in your posts.

It sounds to me like you just got rid of a huge headache. I wouldn't have hesitated to quit on the spot either after being treated like that.

Have you thought about massaging clients at home on your own time, when you feel better, of course?
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I think the real issue is that they scheduled you with a client who needed a service that you were not supposed to be providing, which means they aren't respecting your limitations. You did the best you could, hurt yourself, and got backlash for it? Uh uh, in my book they should have apologized to you. If you don't want to work there anymore, there's no point in hanging on to it, especially if they're so disrespectful of their employees.

The other thing they're doing is not providing the clients with the services they want, either. If the guy asked for deep tissue, he should have gotten someone who was able to provide that for him without risk of injury.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    CurlyInTheFog - Totally agree with you there. It was the same girl who yelled at me too that paired me with that guy. I also didn't want to start with 90 min massages but they immediately started giving them to me.

I talked to the supervisor finally, and she apologized for the unpleasant call I had earlier, while I appreciated it it doesn't fix what happened. She said she would hate for me to leave due to some rude comments from one person, and wanted me to stay. Pffffffft!!!!! I don't *need* that job.

Sheila - that's what I plan to do. My boyfriend and I just made some space and got an extra bed out of the spare room, so I will be working from home in a couple weeks, hopefully! :).
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Is this the job you really wanted a couple of weeks ago?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah I would definitely not be happy expecting a deep massage from someone not versed in it. Most people I know who want deep tissue want DEEP tissue massage.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Honestly i would've hit them in the pockets for worker's comp and maybe more bc they asked u to do something your body couldn't handle which u made them aware of and then they have the audacity to scream at you for your injury after you tried!

No...i would've done the same thing...but money would be involved. AND id probably show my face so they could see for themselves what pain im in. That's just me.

The world seriously does lack empathy.

You did the right thing.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
    scrills wrote: »
    Is this the job you really wanted a couple of weeks ago?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App

Yeah.. I got hired about a month and a half ago, I was super excited about it. But I'm quickly realizing that they don't give a crap about their employees, they just want to make as much money as they can. Now I see why a lot of therapists work out of their homes. Everybody has different styles, and my style is not giving massages that I'm not comfortable with.

I had to send another email the location manager, so I definitely included the fact I was given a massage that I was not signed up for, and I didn't realize it until after the guy was getting undressed and the girl gave me a quick briefing on him. I didn't have his paperwork, since they were hogging it for something and I was already running behind. Who the heck does that girl think she is to know what's best for a client? This client gets chiropractic and regular massages, he knew what he wanted. I could tell he wasn't exactly pleased with the pressure. Not my fault.
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I was going to quit anyway for the summer, because my other work schedule changed. I was hoping to ride it out for another month and a half. This job was making me exhausted, so no, I don't really want the job anymore. I didn't put my 2 weeks notice in, I put my notice in that I no longer want to work there anymore, like today. The supervisor wasn't at work at the time that I called, so I'm going to call back in a few minutes when she starts her shift and let them know.

I don't care who you are, I'm not letting anybody treat me like **** and then go and try to make money for them, especially if they are not my supervisor. F that. It's a second job that's not worth risking my health and energy, especially if being treated in such a manner. I drive a half hour to get there, and half the time I have 1 person on my schedule for the whole night. Not worth my freaking time and energy anymore.

I told myself if I ever felt anything remotely like the pain I used to have, that was the time I needed to stop. I stopped and it seems they don't give a crap about anybody. I do understand their side, don't get me wrong. But that's no excuse to go off on me like they did.

Well, in that case, I would have just told that skank to kiss my ass & hung up. Lol

I agree w curlyinthefog, too...good points. I've asked for certain services, at Massage Envy, for instance, & have been told no one was available at my desired times who would be able to do that. So I got something else or rescheduled.

Funny you mention Massage Envy, because that's the company I work(ed) for. Apparently not all of them are the same.

I'm supposed to work tomorrow... and I have no idea if they took me off the schedule or not. I haven't heard anything from the manager, and I don't plan to go in. Is this bad?
    Funny you mention Massage Envy, because that's the company I work(ed) for. Apparently not all of them are the same.

I'm supposed to work tomorrow... and I have no idea if they took me off the schedule or not. I haven't heard anything from the manager, and I don't plan to go in. Is this bad?

hmmmm ME has always been kinda hit or miss w me in terms of quality. There are two small independent massage therapy spots I usually go to, but in a pinch, I will call ME. I find the high pressure sales tactics (for the annual membership) a lil annoying. And once I was late for an appt & the chic at the counter got a lil testy w me. Again, **** happens....

I probably wouldn't want to burn a bridge at ME...so I would call & remind/inform the person who answers that there had been a situation over the wknd & u were unclear as to whether you were on the schedule and/or still needed.

Maybe someone will apologize to you & try to get u to stay on.

They already did that, but I don't want to stay. I'm done. Like completely done. Like I'm already planning my relaxing time for tomorrow, done. I don't mind burning a bridge there, because a. I am 99% sure I will never want to go back there, and b. it's like 4 towns over, so not in my area. Also, c. I don't even use my real name there, because there's already someone there with my name. There are a few fake names at that location, I find it really odd.

Yeah, if you are late for your appointment, we take it out of your time, not ours. You also don't get a full 60 min massage, only 50. This is why I go to a lady who works out of her home, she does a full 60 min massage and charges $10 less.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That sounds absolutely horrible! I can't believe that would be so rude, but then again, I can believe it. Some employers/managers are unbelievable. I'm sorry, but things come up. Stuff happens. If you need to call in, and can't get in touch with anyone, what are you supposed to do then? I'm glad it is a second job and you don't need it. You don't need the risk to your health. I hope you feel better soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

So I called in yesterday, because Monday nights are one of my work nights, and I hadn't heard anything final from anybody and wanted to see if I was still on the schedule. The lady told me, and I quote, "[The owner] and [manager] want you to work your 2 weeks, so we will let you work." Gee, really? You'll let me?! I literally got tongue tied on the phone... I was like... I don't know how to say this, but my back still hurts and I can't work. So she said I could have Monday off, but I still need to work my 2 weeks.

So what the hell am I supposed to do now!??? Call in for 2 weeks and waste everybody's time?? I sent my physical therapist a note and asked her what advice she has for me. I'm hoping she'll be able to write a quick note that I can fax over to shove up their a$$. I am so pissed off and stressed out about this now.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I guess I'm going to be the voice of dissension here, but I think you both overreacted.

If you are getting something out of it, stay. If you are not getting anything out of it, quit. But either way, don't let this rude person make the decision for you.

And I wouldn't just not show up. Be the bigger person. Stick to your two week notice (if that's what they require)
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Are you under contract or something?

I don't understand why you just wouldn't not go in? You've already said you don't care about burning bridges. Why even go to the time of sending them a note?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Ms.CabernetMs.Cabernet Posts: 137Registered Users
    Aside from what you decide to do in this case, you would need to be completely sure that you can work as a massage therapist with the kind of injuries you have. The reason I say that is because some clients like deep pressure even if is a relaxing massage. I am one of them. If I'm getting a Swedish massage and the pressure is too soft, I will tell them to increase pressure. In your case, that could not be beneficial as a therapist due to your arthritis.
    I usually go to chain massage places as my schedule is busy but they can accommodate my appointment late at night and any time during weekends. I've bought massages through Groupon and when I call to schedule it I usually have to wait a month for my appointment as they are overbooked (the price is usually 50% less than a regular massage so they get hundreds of people buying the coupon).
    Good luck whatever you decide and hope you feel better soon!
    So I called in yesterday, because Monday nights are one of my work nights, and I hadn't heard anything final from anybody and wanted to see if I was still on the schedule. The lady told me, and I quote, "[The owner] and [manager] want you to work your 2 weeks, so we will let you work." Gee, really? You'll let me?! I literally got tongue tied on the phone... I was like... I don't know how to say this, but my back still hurts and I can't work. So she said I could have Monday off, but I still need to work my 2 weeks.

So what the hell am I supposed to do now!??? Call in for 2 weeks and waste everybody's time?? I sent my physical therapist a note and asked her what advice she has for me. I'm hoping she'll be able to write a quick note that I can fax over to shove up their a$$. I am so pissed off and stressed out about this now.

It's contagious! LOL Right after I posted yesterday, I bent down to pick up something I had dropped on the floor and felt one of my herniated discs pop out of place. OUCH and stress. Hobbling around like an old woman :sad5:

I totally agree with you Ms. Cabernet. I like deep tissue myself, and I find it very relaxing. Right now I need to take a break, and they don't seem to understand that at all. I'm probably going to go pick up my paycheck and send the manager another email telling her to take me off the schedule for good and then let it be from there. They make it seem like you have a say in what massages you want to do/don't know, and another therapist friend of mine that works there said that they've been doing this kind of thing a lot lately. IMO, if you want people to work for you, treat them well. I don't want to work for a company who doesn't respect my limitations.

The way I look at it, if I have my own massage business at home, I can pre-screen if need be, and I have a couple massage therapists I can recommend if they want the deep tissue. I think that's good business practice, instead of deciding myself that they don't need deep tissue... like my place of work did. I'm fine giving firm pressure, and I'm fine with 1 or two spread out, just not 4 back to back with a half hour break randomly thrown in there. I know my limitations.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    scrills wrote: »
    I guess I'm going to be the voice of dissension here, but I think you both overreacted.

If you are getting something out of it, stay. If you are not getting anything out of it, quit. But either way, don't let this rude person make the decision for you.

And I wouldn't just not show up. Be the bigger person. Stick to your two week notice (if that's what they require)

You are not alone.

I seriously can not think of one job I have ever worked, since I was 17 years old, that I was not snapped at by someone or witnessed someone snap. The very first day I walked into my current job, the woman who was going to be training me was pointing at me while screaming at my boss. "I'm not a GD teacher! This is not what I was hired to do! This is a pain in my a**!" Quite the welcome but her problem, not mine. I was called a "f**king b**ch" by one supervisor. I had been to Six Flags, on scheduled time off, and severely sprained my ankle. I had spent most the night in the ER and was black, blue, swollen, wrapped, in a brace, and forbidden to stand. I hate a note from the ER doc and called her 12 hours before my shift. I could go on and on and on. This is a common. It's people. You just have to decide if you are going to let everything little thing send you running out the door or not. If you do, you'll be running a lot.

Your injuries are a different matter though, and something to consider.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The yelling at me was not my reason for quitting, it was a confirmation to me that I do in fact want to 100% quit that place. My real issue is nobody seems to care I aggravated my injury because of imcompetance by the front desk. Looking back, I should have refused to treat the client, but then I probably would have gotten fired. Maybe that would have been the best option.

Believe me, I've gotten yelled at many times, and I also do some yelling back. In this instance, it was completely uncalled for.
    ^ And don't get me wrong on that. Obviously I have been through my share, and then some. I just have a better idea of what it is like from every side now. The woman who yelled at me on the first day of my current job was short staffed that day, working with a part timer, stressed out (and generally prone to office dramatics and temper tantrums). She had requested they reschedule my training and blew her top on the boss when it didn't happen. She was not a representation of every one here. Now, 10 years later, I have been in the position where I was short staffed and people called out or I had to train someone on top of that. I have watched several new people walk in, spend a day to a couple weeks here, decide it is not for them and walk out. Any number of things can pile up make you ill. I do not scream at people (I come here and yell) but I have had to make it known that I was not pleased, and quote policies a large number of time over the past several years. I have had newer employees cry and run the boss saying we "were mean to them" when I or other employees (in front of me) did this in a calm and reasonable voice. It's all a lot of crap, on every end. One thing I will not do is let someone run me off, and I will usually give the job and person a fairly good chance. You can sometimes be surprised.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The yelling at me was not my reason for quitting, it was a confirmation to me that I do in fact want to 100% quit that place. My real issue is nobody seems to care I aggravated my injury because of imcompetance by the front desk. Looking back, I should have refused to treat the client, but then I probably would have gotten fired. Maybe that would have been the best option.

Believe me, I've gotten yelled at many times, and I also do some yelling back. In this instance, it was completely uncalled for.

Good enough. You got the confirmation you needed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file