Tips for flying with 3a type?

CurlyTwirlyMaCurlyTwirlyMa Posts: 4Registered Users
I have 3a/b type curly hair, which gets frizzy and as is typical is very sensitive to environment and such. I am going on my first ever flight in about 4.5 weeks to visit a friend. Counting time in the airport before the flight and layover, it will be about a 8.5-9 hour journey. The flights themselves are about 4ish hours each with one connection between. I have heard that the air is very dry in airplanes. My hair usually looks great the day I wash it (I don't use shampoo, just scrub with my fingers, condition the length, then put in a creme), but I don't want to look a mess after the first half hour in the plane. Especially since when I finally get there we are doing a bit of sightseeing right away from what she has told me.
So anyway, this is long and rambly...but is there a good way to keep the moisture in my hair through the flights so my hair still looks good on arrival? Or should I not bother and just throw it up or something?

I want to try jessicurl products, but the shipping to me in Canada is almost as much as the products themselves. So drugstore items would be preferable, and hopefully they'd carry it here in Canada haha

Comments

• ElvishThistleElvishThistle Posts: 130Registered Users
    I haven't mastered this yet, every time I fly my hair looses a lot of moisture and always ends up limp at the end of the journey. I would bring a lot of styling/moisturizing products with you so that at the end you can fix it up or something. But I wouldn't worry about it too much, even if you don't have curly hair i've noticed most people don't look perfect after such a long flight ;) Have fun!
    Fine, 3a/3b
    Modified CG
    Low Poo: TJ's TTT, ACV/beer Rinses once a month or so, Soap Bars once in a while, Carols Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo
    Conditioner: AOHR, AOGPB, Suave Coconut, vo5 Kiwi, etc
    Style
    HE gels, occasional hairspray, Garnier Fructis Curl shaping gel spray, FSG when I actually make it
    Honey/AVG only in the summer

HG I fell into the craze and my hair is happy with Deva! No Poo, Angel, and one condish = awesome hair day.
    My hair loves Protein!

• JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    I would suggest extra gel and let the gelcast sit. That, plus treating your hair in the way that works the best for you with really low dew points. Forget second-day hair that looks decent, you will want to re-wet to get back moisture.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bring some cute scarves & hats. I plan to fly sometime this summer & am glad I read this. I will bring some scarves & hats.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The only tip I would give is put your hair up and put a hat on when you arrive.

Everyone looks terrible after a flight of more than 3 hours.

The air on the plane dries your skin out and makes your eyes drier as well.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've found that I've had no problems with my hair when flying when I do the baptismal rinse, in which you splash two or three doubled handfuls of water over your hair by way of rinsing your conditioner out, which leaves quite a bit of in your hair, and is appropriate for low dew points.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • CurlyTwirlyMaCurlyTwirlyMa Posts: 4Registered Users
    Thanks all... I've never used a scarf or hat, but I do have a small little bottle of leave-in and oil in my carry on. Will be 'fun' to see what it's like when I get off the plane since this is my first time flying haha

Morgan - the baptismal rinse doesn't leave your hair greasy? My hair is down to my waist and it seems that method would leave an awful lot of conditioner in, so I'd just worry about it looking greasy/oily
  • JimipeJimipe Posts: 276Registered Users
    From another one with waist/hip length hair. The baptismal rinse mainly rinses at the top, yes, which is on the other hand really the only place hair that loves conditioner tends to look dirty if you leave it in. The trick is to:
    A) Know which conditioner to use as leave in
    B) Know how much to use
    C) Know how much to rinse.

These days I usually skip the rinse-out step, just apply my conditioner, detangle and then do the baptism-thing. But then I know how much my hair wants in different places. And no, it does not look dirty or gucky. :) It is however easier I think to do it in two steps and apply at little more until it seems like your hair is happy in the beginning, that way you have more control.
    CG since 8th of September 2013 - learning in progress!

3a/m/iii - waist length wet
    Cleanser: Naturelle Volumizing
    Conditioner/LI: Garnier Respons Avocadooil and Shea Butter, Schwarzkopf Gliss Ultimate Volume Conditioner
    Styling: Eldorado Hairgel Strong

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file