Dear White People......The Movie?

LovemenappyLovemenappy Posts: 332Registered Users
So it's a new movie apparently coming out called Dear White People. I think that this will definitely open up a good discussion about race relations in America.

Dear White People Concept Trailer on Vimeo

Would you watch? Also feel free to post your thoughts.

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    They had me at hello...

"Remember when Black movies didn't neccesarily star a dude in a fat suit and a wig? Or have major plot twists timed to Gospel numbers for no apparent reason? No? Damn...

Well believe it or not there was a time when "Black Art-House" was a thing. When movies like Do The Right Thing, Hollywood Shuffle, and Boyz In Da Hood were breaking box office records as well as making us laugh, cry, and think in ways movies hadn't before."

Haha. I have nothing against TP, and think he has an audiance for a reason, but I remember the art film days very well. I am a large movie buff and that is one of my favorite genres. I know several have issues with them for numerous reasons, but you can't make everyone happy all the time.

I would be very intersted in watching this. I am not so sure about it opening up discussions. I say that because (I am cynical) we didn't really have a wide medium to discuss films in the 90's (aside from people answering via another movie or music, which I loved), but maybe it will. I don't know. People seem to much easily offended than they were in the art film days.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    I remember this trailer from last year. I want to see it so bad. It seems that it will be one of those hilarious but honest movies.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'd watch it. I would hope that it wouldn't just be a bunch of racist stereotypes. I don't mind lampooning but I can't do all the stupid, broad jokes. Making fun of White ppl's racism was funny...back in 1978, when George Jefferson was doing it.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    This actually looks pretty funny! Reminds me of the same type of humor as Bringin' Down the House which just makes fun of every race. I find these types of movies amusing, because the parodies are so true in the general perspective. I didn't find only white people's racism in the trailer, also black people's racism/judgments.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I liked the opening scene in the trailer. Very reminiscent of Buggin' Out in DTRT.

You stepped on my brand new white Air Jordan's

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1396083637.418617.jpg

Why don't you go back to Massachusetts?
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1396083691.042259.jpg

I was born in Brooklyn
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1396083767.173259.jpg
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file