Am i too old for long hair?

krispykrispy Posts: 320Registered Users
I am 49 years, 5 months old :wink: and finally have a simple routine and think my hair looks nice; it' s now probably about 2 inches past shoulders. Anyway, someone commented that "older" women shouldn't have long hair. do you agree ? it's just that with it being longer it's nice and spirally and I like it but don't want to be out of style either. What are your thoughts?
Thanks all!
2c/3a

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace

Best combo so far:
SheaMosture Curl and shine milk , Ouidad heat and humidity gel

Comments

• ZeldahimeZeldahime Posts: 223Registered Users
    I think you should do what you like. I have no idea about what's in or out of style; I don't pay attention to any of that. I have my style and that's good enough for me.

Basically I vote for your style and if your style is long hair *go for it!*
    Very fine, high porosity, currently dyed and growing out the relaxed portions. I'm pretty sure my hair's 3b something IIRC. We will be finding out for sure as time goes by.
  • MizHowdyMizHowdy Posts: 50Registered Users
    This is a great question!
    I think the answer depends on the hair!
    My family was encouraging me for years to let my hair grow out. I was wearing it very short, didn't realize its curliness and thought the only option was a blow fried bob and later its longer cousin. I would point out women with longer dry looking triangle hair and say 'see, not good'. Now I point out such women and say 'see, she would look so much better as a curly girl...a good cut, not necessarily short, some conditioner, and some gel scrunched in would make her look great'.
    For myself I think I look much better with my hair length now (layered to just brushing my shoulders when dry) than with the severe short cut I had for years. The curliness perks up my whole look.
    I haven't really had much length cut off in about a year and I think I will stay at about this length. It is short enough to be easy to deal with and long enough to pin up when the weather gets hot, and I like how it looks.
    I'd say let it grow a while. If you get tired of it after a time get it cut, but remember there are lots of options between long and short!
    Have fun!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    krispy wrote: »
    I am 49 years, 5 months old :wink: and finally have a simple routine and think my hair looks nice; it' s now probably about 2 inches past shoulders. Anyway, someone commented that "older" women shouldn't have long hair. do you agree ? it's just that with it being longer it's nice and spirally and I like it but don't want to be out of style either. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks all!

Nope.

501f22db59d2ebddf080e90550fa4819.jpg
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can't imagine where that rule came from! What weirdo thought that up? I've heard it, but I never pay attention.

I think the idea is that older women are supposed to be sexless and having longer hair is often associated with sexuality. Here's a news flash - we are still sexual beings.

Wear your hair the way you like and enjoy it! :flower:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ditto. Who makes up these ridiculous rules!? If you want hair down to your butt, do it. If you want to shave your head, do it. Have fun. Be happy. And don't let anyone tell you you're too old for anything!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think mostly it is the idea that long hair drags down your face. Well, yeah, if you don't DO anything with your hair. It's just a falsity. Or maybe if your hair is too thin to support it but honestly I think it's bull pucky. If you LIKE your hair long WEAR your hair long.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • MuzzMuzz Posts: 17Registered Users
    be yourself, darlin..have your own style..if u like it long, go for it!we're only here once and we have to leave our own mark.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you want long hair, go for it!!!! It'll be beautiful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you ask for their opinion? :D
    There are so many stereotypes out there, like you're supposed to get a "mom cut" and drive a mini van, haha.
    Do what makes YOU feel good.
    Like Muzz said, you're only here once.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I would've asked them why older people are not supposed to have long hair? Betcha the person would have stumble over their words, or not even have an answer at all.

That's like saying you're not supposed to put mayonnaise on french fries. (omg if you haven't tried it, it's amazing!)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Or gravy on your fries!
    There may be some "rules" out there but just remember, What Not To Wear was cancelled.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• JuliaRoseJuliaRose Posts: 68Registered Users
    That is so ridiculous. Wear your hair the way that makes you feel beautiful and your confidence will be apparent to everyone.
    Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
    RO: Sweet Curls Elixirs Conditioning Elixir
    Styler: SCE Flax Seed Gel and Hard Hold Gel
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That "rule" came from people like my mother, who were in the generation that bobbed their hair. All their elders had long hair, and wore it up, and to them, long hair looks old, therefore short hair looks young to them. Hairdressers took up the cause because it brought women into the salons at regular intervals to have their hair done, generating more business.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If long hair makes you feel happy, beautiful, confident, then stick with it. Regardless of age, you can tell when someone is comfortable in their own skin. I'd much rather see someone happy with their long hair than going short to fit in with society's idea of age-appropriate and then being unhappy with their shorter style, however nice it might look.

Check out Daphne Selfe, who is an 83 year old model with long silver hair (looks to be bra strap length when straight). She's even done a photoshoot in a replica of Madonna's bullet bra outfit, and she rocked it. If she can do that at 83, then you can definitely keep your long hair at 49.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would say no to long hair if it's just a lifeless mess.

I think that long beautiful curls are awesome on anyone!

Do you!

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    I turned 50 last December and was just thinking today that at this time next year, my hair will be almost hip length, as it's almost waist length stretched right now. I had this thought because I was rehearsing a Hula in my head that I will be dancing on Sunday for a volunteer event and I was thinking how much my hair resembles those of my kupuna (ancestors) who danced before me. I was also thinking how much shorter it was this time last year and how much it has grown since I went CG/mod-CG

And I am proud to rock this long graying wavy/curly tresses that happens to NOT be behaving this past week with the change in seasons! For me, short hair gives me a moon face unless I am painfully thin and I doubt I will ever be painfully thin ever again, lol

Do what you want; grow it out or cut it, but don't cut it because you're "supposed to" at a certain age. I scuttled a hairdresser because she constantly cut length off since I was hitting her idea of an age where I should be wearing it much shorter. My paternal tutu wahine (granny) had kinky waist length hair (stretched) that she had washed and set once a week into a bun. I can so see myself doing that when I'm in my 70s/80s, except I'll do it myself!
  • anonymous_166474anonymous_166474 Posts: 70Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I remember the Oprah movement about women over 40 should not have long hair past the ears or shoulders. Funny how Oprah herself has long weaves and wigs.

Do what you like. I am 40 and have hair to my waist when pulled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kosher Curls
    mostly 3b curls
    Low Porosity
    fine, medium, coarse
    medium to high density
    Products: Giovanni direct leave in and olive or argan oil eco styler.

LONG: 10"+ (armpit to waist length)
  • etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users
    Of course you can have long hair! I think long hair is sexy, and it's a lie being sexy or even being a sexual being is only for younger women!
    highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
    RO + LI: different every time
    Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
    Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Great answers, everyone. Let's not forget that a 49 year old woman is not exactly an "older" woman. I just turned 48 and I don't think of myself as an elderly or older woman. That's just ridiculous. Seriously. Where do these people get this stuff? What age is the line drawn at, too? 34 is young but 35 is old? Or maybe 39 is young but 40 and up is old. Who gets to decide what's "old"??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file